Caputo Flour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caputo Flour

I just tried Caputo flour for the first time. What a difference! This was the first time I was able to hand stretch and toss dough! My rolling pin now offically retired. It was almost like having sex for the first time....well not quite but its up there. Dont know how I was able to make pizza before..

Frank

Re: Caputo Flour

Hey frank,
    I got my caputo from Forno Bravo, Havent had time to try it yet, but your post is gonna get me going.. Looking forward to it, THanks for the push,,,,

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

As I have said on this forum for years, once you try Caputo you will wonder why you hadn't tried it before. The basic recipe for making near perfect dough from this flour is so simple that even beginners will amaze themselves. Why eveyone tries to re-invent the wheel when it comes to making dough is beyond me. Just buy the Caputo and enjoy the results.
      When my son-in-law first built our oven 5 yrs ago we new nothing about wood fired pizza ither than when made properly, it was wonderful. We started using Caputo right out of the gate and have never looked back. The Thursday before our reunion we scrapped two pizzas as the oven was too hot. Since then we have gone through hundreds of pounds of Caputo and have never had an inedible one since that night.
      If you start with the best crust, anything you put on it will taste good.
      Glad you had good results,

Enjoy,

Tom in PA

Comment

Mark, take your other flour out to the garbage or save it for your fried chicken. Break out that Caputo, and you will never look back. Seriously.

RT

Comment

save it for your fried chicken
          tried out my caputo today,,, below are pics of the results.... LOVED IT........and will be frying chicken with the other stuff.... Thats my grand niece, she liked it too
          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Glad itworked for you as expected. Now you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA

Comment

just got back from the fridge, made a sandwich with the bread, fresh home made mozzarella, prosciutto and dipped the bread in blasamic..

Food is good

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

Got my first bag of Caputo on Saturday and all I can say is WOW!

For six months I have been using Con Agra Kyrol High Gluten Flour. Cheap. Eight bucks for 25lbs. Made lots of pizza. The flour was so cheap that I would make dough just to experiment. I varied the fermentaion times (fridge- room temp), hydration, EVOO - no EVOO, diffferent kneading techniques, different yeasts. Always had problems strecthing the dough and over time figured it all out and could make a good skin. Everyone loved the pizza. Some said it was the best. I always thought it was Ok and in the back of my mind wondered what I was doing wrong.

Saturday I made a small batch of dough with Caputo. 65% hydration, 22 hr cold ferment, 6 hrs on the kitchen counter. Fired up "Woody" and grilled 2 NY Strips and 2 T-bones. Put the meal on the table. Everyone ate but me. I had to try my new Caputo. Besides my son didn't want steak for dinner, he wanted pizza.

First pie done in just under 90 seconds. And the best one by far in 6 months. In the past I have been able to do a pie in 90 seconds on occassion (when the oven is super hot). Visably there was a hudge difference with the way the pizza cooked. Within 20 seconds the outer rim rose and a few seconds later steam came out of the interior and cheese started to bubble. I was blown away at the difference. Pizza finished and I didn't even have to raise it to the top of the dome to finish cooking it. Small amount of leaproding on the rim and good sporadic char on the bottom. What an awesome freakin pizza. Followed up with 3 more very good pizzas. Best part was that for the first time in a long time I got to eat a pizza by myself without having to feed guests. Enjoyed every bite. Pizza was thin with a nice chew and the crust had a good crunch.

For those who haven't used Caputo for whatever reason and want to bring your pizza to the next level, I would suggest getting some. Molino Caputo for president.

Tom

Comment

We just cooked some pizzas two nights ago and made up batches with King Arthur AP and bread flour, and also with Caputo 00. The texture of the Caputo was much better than the other two, as it had a nice crust and good chew. The KA flours had good crust, but the inside was too airy. The KA AP flour had a sweeter flavor than the Caputo. The Caputo seemed to give way to a saltier flavor, which helps to balance the San Marzanos. All in all, an interesting and delicious evening. I'd say Caputo has my vote, but if I'm in a pinch, I'll use King Arthur All Purpose.
                  Oh, and the bread flour made a good calzone to close out the evening. I think if I ever make calzones, I'll use bread flour.

Comment

Did a test run pizza today with my Caputo. Wanted to see if the Caputo Pizzas from the other day were a fluke or not. Nope. Great Pizza again. Stretched pizza skin with dough directly out of fridge. 10" round turned out perfect and stretched easy. I also tried San Marzonos again and was pleased. They caused the high gluten dough to become soggy. I think that since the Caputo can be stretched so thin the water part of the sauce steams off. Something like that. My wife has a little shindig tonite. I am excited that I can supply her with some quality pizza.

Tom

Comment

Is there a standard for dough weight vs. diameter of pizza? Pizzas have been getting very thin, and was wondering what others figure as a good dough weight for a 10" Neopolitan Pizza.

Tom

Comment

There is a large range of weights for doughballs depending upon the actual desired thickness. Most tend to range from 210 grams to about 285 grams for a 10 inch pizza
                        Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

I have been pushing the limit with the dough strectching. 210-215 for a 10" plus pizza. I have enjoyed the ease of stretchng the Caputo and I love light thn crust pizza. The 8 year old food critic in the house says its too thin. I agree. I will try one at the upper range at 285 grams and see what get. VPN calls for a maxmum 3mm crust. Wonder how you measure that.

Tom

Comment

Jeanette Catena (along with her husband Frank) at the Forno Bravo Expo this past weekend (VPN trained) get's about 150 pizza's out of her 55 lb of Caputo flour.
                            She makes the pizza's the equivalent of 9 oz. and stretch's them out to 12".
                            Jeanette, is also the importer for Caputo flour, so she knows...
                            RicklessssssssS in Oregon

Comment

Working...
                            X