yeast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeast question

Well I finished building and curing my oven. I cooked in it last night and the pizza was pretty chewy. I am following the recipe for dough in the pizza ebook. I put in the 3 grams of yeast that it called for. I may have done that part wrong though, I am thinking.

The Fleiscmanns active dry yeast packets say to dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup 100-110 degree water. To proof (foam) yeast, stir in one teaspoon sugar, let stand10 minutes. If mixture doubles yeast is active.

Do I need to do these steps as well or just mix in the yeast like the ebook says. I have no idea how to cook so this is all new to me.
    Thanks Lane

Re: yeast question

There are two different types of dry yeast typically found in the grocery store, they are often labeled active dry and bread machine yeast (the bread machine also says good for all rapid rise recipes) The active dry gets mixed with water;the bread machine yeast does not.

For the active dry I would put the flour in the mixer, make a well pour in the warm water and sprinkle the yeast on top of the water, then sprinkle the sugar on top of that and then just wait ten minutes. You should see some foam coming to the surface, if you see foam you are good to go. Once you start mixing and the ingredients come together (about 1-2 minutes in the mixer) stop mixing and let the mixture rest for 20 min (this is the autolyse step). After 20 min start kneading.

As a side note I am in the process of building my oven but I have been making pizza in my oven for a long time. It takes many attempts to make a good dough and I think there are a lot of small steps that make a great crust. I have tried at least 30 different variations in an attempt to create the perfect pizza. I have come to the conclusion that you need high dry heat to create the perfect pizza and that is something I can never do in my home oven (hence the reason for building my oven). Therefore, you have one of the most important steps complete of making great pizza and that is the brick oven. Enjoy the journey!
    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Thanks I will try that. I guess I am little confused on the rise part? Mine does not rise. I tried just dumping the yeast in, next time I tried mixing with water first and did not get any rise. I have not tried it with sugar yet will do that next time.
      I also make the dough balls and put them in the fridge as soon as it is done mixing. Leave it in fridge 24 hours but the dough balls are same size when I take them out. They actually flatten out and dont really look much like balls anymore.
      Lane

Comment

The proofing mixture of water, sugar and yeast will not rise, it will just bubble. This indicates that your yeast is good, and you can proceed to mix it in to the other ingredients.

It's worth the trouble to find Instant Dry Yeast. If you can't buy it locally, order some online. It really simplifies the process.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

They had instant as well where I got the dry yeast. I thought that was for the pizza dough in a hurry reciepe so I have not tried it. Thanks I will get it for next batch this weekend.
          Should the dough balls ever increase in size with either of the kinds of yeast? I shape my dough into balls and put into fridge as soon as I am done mixing. Should I be letting them rise before I put them in the fridge?
          I think maybe I need a cooking class to get some cooking basics.

Comment

Originally posted by lane View Post
            Well I finished building and curing my oven. I cooked in it last night and the pizza was pretty chewy. I am following the recipe for dough in the pizza ebook. I put in the 3 grams of yeast that it called for. I may have done that part wrong though, I am thinking.

The Fleiscmanns active dry yeast packets say to dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup 100-110 degree water. To proof (foam) yeast, stir in one teaspoon sugar, let stand10 minutes. If mixture doubles yeast is active.

Do I need to do these steps as well or just mix in the yeast like the ebook says. I have no idea how to cook so this is all new to me.
            Thanks Lane
            Lane

Would you like an easy answer to all your questions....please read on

So would I!!!!! I'm having exactly the same problems as you.I thought I found the perfect pizza recipe the other day, but when I started reading the method, the first thing said was ......turn your bread mixer to setting #2. What mixer? Even if I had the space....I could'nt afford one.

I hope you don't mind if I follow this thread, as I would love to come across that perfect pizza recipe.

Regards Terry (C.F)
            Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

Hello Terry,
              I thought cooking would be easy to oven building but looks like a good learning curve to it as well.

I bought one of the kitchen aid 600 mixers mentioned in the ebook. You can watch craigslist for them. I picked it up brand new for 225.00. Someone else was selling a smaller one but still kitchen aid for 75.00 so you may be able to get one that way. Watch kitchenaids website as well they go on special and almost always have refurbs as well.

Comment

The book American Pie by Peter Reinhardt and the website for Varasano's pizza are great resources that will help you greatly. I would read the entire recipe from Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe. It is a great resource.
                Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Many thanks for the advice Lane. Just checked out "Kitchenaids" U.K website, but still beyond my means for a half decent mixer. Never mind. Back to old fashioned tecknique's and "trial and error"

Terry (C.F)
                  Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe was a great read. That helps a lot. I will try and get the book as well but the website has lots of the things I have been wondering about yeast. Great pictures of the dough going in and out of the fridge which helps a lot.
                    If I can ever handle anything that sticky I will be impressed.
                    Thanks Lane

Comment

Working...
                    X