Dough Research Continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dough Research Continues...

I was given some "protein enriched" flour some time ago and I decided to try it out. I got the data sheet from the company concerned and found that it has 13.3% protein.

I made a batch "neat" and found that the texture was pretty good and it stretched really well - probably the best I have made yet!!

The next batch was a blend of my usual Milan Pizza flour and protein enriched flour with a mix calculated to bring the protein level to 12%. Recipe as follows (note the higher hydration):

Flour 635.3g 100.0%
    Water 425.6g 67.0%
    Yeast 3.8g 0.6%
    Salt 15.2g 2.4%

359.1g Pizza flour
    276.1g Protein Flour

The results after a 9 minute KA knead were good (finished on bench). I made 4 balls, setting 2 aside for a 2.5 hr rest before having them for lunch, and the other 2 into the fridge for overnight fermentation.

Observations:

Smooth and pliable dough - streched nicely. I cooked them in the oven and they browned up well. I would be keen to see how they go in the WFO. Perhaps these could yield the much sought after leoparding that has so far euded me?

What I did note was that the crust was slightly dry (maybe electric oven?), but good nonetheless. Perhaps the quick cooking process of the WFO will produce better results on that point too. There was a slight toughness evident as well but this was not unpleasant.

On reheating the crust was very rubbery and slightly tough once again.

Overall though - I was pleased with the results - particularly the ability I had to stretch the dough without tearing it or it getting thin in spots. I will refine the mix further on this one and report back after a WFO test run.

Rossco
    Last edited by heliman; 12-26-2009, 11:39 PM.
    / Rossco

Re: Dough Research Continues...

Hi Rossco,
    On reheating the crust was very rubbery and slightly tough once again.
    How are you reheating your electric cooked pizza?
    If you are using a microwave oven, then reduce the input power to at least half and increase your time. It will then not cause the dough crust to turn into leather!

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Electric oven set on about 200 (preheated) and warmed for about 7 mins..

I have read somewhere that true Italian pizzas cannot be reheated as the texture changes - I think, towards toughness!!

Rossco
      / Rossco

Comment

I am in the process of my WFO build but have been doing a ton of pizza dough experimenting in my home electric oven. I am finding that I need to make a less hydrated dough (as compared to what is called for when cooking at 800degrees) in order to get a proper rise and browning on the crust. Do you find the same thing? With my oven cranked up as high as it goes it still takes 10 min for the pizza to cook. How long are things taking in your oven?
        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

In regards to the "browning" of the crust - I get that in the electric oven but I am chasing the elusive "leoparding" in the WFO so the browning to me is secondary.

I crank my electric oven up to around 230 C and cook 4 mins one side, then rotate it and finish 3 mins (+ 30 secs if necessary. It prodices quite a good crust with spotty browing from the stone underneath.

Rossco
          Last edited by heliman; 01-16-2010, 10:11 PM.
          / Rossco

Comment

Working...
          X