Reheating Pizza - Great Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reheating Pizza - Great Method

I often have pizza left over from a baking session and pop it in the fridge for eating the next day. One of the problems I had in the past was how best to heat it up again to eat. I tried the microwave method and this made the crust rubbery, floppy and all but inedible. I then switched to the wasteful practice of heating a few pieces of pizza in the electric oven. That was OK but still not satisfactory as it dried the crust out too much. I had almost given up the quest to find a suitable reaheating method when I happened to be standing next to a work colleague and watched him do it...

His method was to use a paninni press, Cuban sandwich press or simply a sandwich press/toaster (available in every lunchroom in Australia and probably elsewhere in the world). The cooking from both the top and bottom crispened the crust and warmed the topping evenly. It was VERY nice indeed and as close as you will get to one coming right out of the oven. The lid of the sandwich toaster should be locked (it has a ratchet mechanism on the side) so that it does not make contact with the topping - but gets very close.

That's it - give it a try if you haven't already done so.

Rossco
    Last edited by heliman; 02-03-2010, 03:28 PM.
    / Rossco

Re: Reheating Pizza - Great Method

Ingenious.

We don't have such devices (that I know of) in the US, but panini presses are not uncommon. They close so tight that I think the toppings would stick, so maybe putting two slices cheese-to-cheese then pressing in the pannini press would accomplish a similar fete.

Thanks for the great idea. I tend to eat leftover pizza cold since I hate that microwaved sliminess that my kids can endure.

Comment

Tks for the feedback Brian...

I agree - I too would rather eat pizza cold than use the microwave.

For clarity - below is a pic of the appliance I was referring to.

Rossco
      / Rossco

Comment

Ahhh, that is exactly what we call a pannini press. So... you're technique is internationally applicable!!!

Comment

... although I call it a paninni press I'll bet that the folks in Florida would call it a Cuban Sandwich press.

Comment

Stove top, over cast iron griddle. I prefer this method over the toaster oven as it is less messy with the toppings.
            And like most, I'd rather eat cold pizza than microwaved.
            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

My method is similar to fxpose except I simply heat my leftover pizza (and calzone) in an open frypan. It's simple, it works and almost everyone has a frypan.
              Bests,
              Wiley

Comment

Thanks for clarifying Brian - I've updated the description to give it an international theme.

Originally posted by BrianShaw View Post
                ... although I call it a paninni press I'll bet that the folks in Florida would call it a Cuban Sandwich press.
                Rossco
                / Rossco

Comment

If we are home, I'll toss that pizza bit right back into the WFO. There is usually enough heat to get the left overs plenty warm!

And a magical as a microwave can be, it doesn't improve a cold pizza...

JED

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post
                    If we are home, I'll toss that pizza bit right back into the WFO. There is usually enough heat to get the left overs plenty warm!
                    My WFO at home doesn't keep running every day. I kill the coals by putting the door on after cooking is over so I have got some nice starter charcoal for the next fire.

The method described is only reliant the availability of the sandwich press - which can be found in many work lunch rooms and homes.

Rossco
                    / Rossco

Comment

I agree Rossco, I have used my Press too heat up Pizza too! But I do like cold pizza the next day...esp. for Breaky!!!

Comment

Sounds good Scott...

I must say though that I have not yet acquired the taste for cold pizza as it seems to take on completely new characterisitcs!

Will agree on the breakfast pizzas - my wife thinks I'm crazy/obsessed for doing this but really it's just like having toast with cheese and bacon etc. Nothing strange about that in my view!!

I think that pizzas should be marketed as an all round meal experience, that is, breakfast, lunch, dinner and also starter and dessert. The only variable really is the topping which makes it different. This is such a versatile product and it's enjoyed by so many people too. Wonderfood? Maybe not - but it's great anyway and fun to make!!!

Rossco
                        / Rossco

Comment

My best tip for reheating pizza and bread -even pizza from frozen:

Take a large sheet of greaseproof paper (not sure if it is called something else in the US), crumple it up and run it under water. Wrap the pizza or bread in it, put it in a pre-heated oven - about 200C - for 10 mins (ish - depending on what you are doing).

Basically it creates a nice little steam oven. Reheats pizza (even from frozen) well - crisp dough, not microwave chewy.

I got the tip off the TV (from something else) - off Jamie Oliver.

James

Comment

This is the best way, but most people do not have access to a 1400 degree heat gun....

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                              This is the best way, but most people do not have access to a 1400 degree heat gun....
                              Man, now that is an industrial heater!
                              Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Working...
                              X