MIXERS....I need help deciding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MIXERS....I need help deciding

They may indeed vary on quality, speeds and motor wattage even though they may all be 20 Qt bowl capacity. There seem to be a number of Hobart clones around including the Thunderbird that I have got: Thunderbird Food Machinery

The pizza dough definitely punishes the mixer so it definitely needs a fair amount of power and good gear ratios in order to support the mixing process.
    / Rossco

Comment

I am picking up one of these tomorrow morning. Have gotten excellant input from a few friends who own restaurants regarding the quality and application of the mixer..I wil post results.
      http://www.globeslicers.com/Editor/a...ec%20sheet.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by bigred View Post
        ... What I am trying to do is help myself get throught the times when I have a party and make about 20 to 30 pies. I am looking for something to help me prepare for those days.... 260 gram pies. People come from all around...
        The brand you are looking at seems good though I would question the need for 10 speeds for dough making.

Based on your intial statement on the intended application of the mixer you will definitely be under purchasing if you buy a 5 Qt model. That is around the same size as the small KA product - which I have, but outgrew as soon as I started catering for groups bigger than 4 people.

As mentioned, I have a 20 Qt machine and today for example I am catering for a group of 11 people with the recipe below, which I will do in one batch:

Ingredients - Weight (g) - Percentage
        Flour - 1878.3 - 100.0%
        Water - 1314.8 - 70.0%
        Yeast - 8.3 - 0.4%
        Salt - 38.7 - 2.1%

Dough weight required (g) = 3240

Bearing in mind that this is 1/2 or 1/3 of the size of your guest list you really need to decide if you want to be making 5 batches of dough per party, or just one.
        Last edited by heliman; 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM.
        / Rossco

Comment

Heliman

thanks for discussing...here is how I got at that discission...the mixer can handle 2300grm batch at 60%AR. It has a 800 watt motor...I have been using 260 grm balls so thats about 8.8 balls per batch...so the mixer should handle 2340grms which is 9 balls. So three batches gets me 27 pies.....please check my logic..

The next reason is the size. This mixer can fit on the countertop and weights about 35#. The 10 qt is 135 # and the 20 qtr is even more. I dont have to mention cost either do I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think?

Comment

The additional power is useful (I think machines like the larger KA have a 600 W motor).

Just did a quick calc to see what your ingredients list would look like approximately:

Flour 1333.3 100.0%
            Water 933.3 70.0%
            Yeast 5.9 0.4%
            Salt 27.5 2.1%

This will provide 2300 grams of dough which the 5 Qt should handle OK.

Getting back to the "batch" matter - you will still be doing 3 x the mixing work required which I personally don't like. It may be a novelty in the beginning but could become a hassle - which has obviously happened with your current activities now that you are stepping up to the next level of preparation.

In relation to the "bench" storage of the unit - I store mine in the garage all covered up ready for the next use. I believe a mixer, even the "colourful" KA domestic model, looks unsightly if just left out permanently - and the model you are looking at is no exception. After all, it is a semi-commercial item so won't offer any cosmetic enhancements to your kitchen.

The weight is a non-issue as well as I don't intend to move it about at all. My 20 Qt takes two people to move it safely so it has got a spot and stays there permanently.

So, if I was in your position I would forget the "light" equipment and get a second hand or cheaper 20 Qt (minimum 10 Qt). Your efforts in making the second and third batches could put to better use drinking your favourite beverage, talking to your friends - or just admiring your WFO!

I have been hoping (Nissan)Neill would be chiming into this conversation as he is has both a 10 and a 20 Qt mixer so would be able to add some good input on larger models.
            Last edited by heliman; 02-19-2010, 08:38 PM.
            / Rossco

Comment

how would a 20 or even a 10 mix the smaller weekday batches?

Comment

just talked it over with my wife...realistically we may do 4 or so parties as big as 20 to 30 pies during the may thru sept summer months here on the east coast . the rest will probably be between 10 to 15 pies...so that would be two batches....thats not sounding that bad...

Comment

I did a 12 mix today and normally do a 6 or 7 when we have another 2 couples over (that is the usual scenario). The mixer cruises through it with ease and produces top quality dough. I use the 20 Qt for all of my dough preparation whilst the KA mixer stands idly on the side line waiting for its next opportunity to make tomato puree or butter for me!!

I believe in the "buy once buy right" principle. In this case I tended to buy slightly above what I needed, but my thinking is that a machine should be able to easily perform the tasks I have for it - with capacity to spare. This is very applicable in the case of mixer as I got tired of the burnt wire smell coming from the motor coils.

Whilst the 5 Qt you are looking at is a robustly built machine, you will be filling the bowl up quite full to do the dough preparation. My 4.8 litre KA used to throw flour all over the place too (even on the lowest speed) and I ended up having to scoop it all back in bowl. With the low ratio gears this may not be such a problem, but it still highlights some limitations in capacity.

Good luck with your purchase - I am sure that you will be very happy with whatever machine you decide on in the end.
                  Last edited by heliman; 02-20-2010, 05:30 PM.
                  / Rossco

Comment

I brought home my new Globe SP5 mixer from the showroom today.. I must say, it was like bringing home a new car. It looks sweet. I wanted break it in slowly so I made the first batch 500g 00 flour at 60% AR. Incorporating at speed 1 for 3 minutes than let stand for 20 minutes and mixes for 6 minutes at speed two. Looks beautiful. Will try tomorrow. The mixer is super quiet and showed no sign of any load. It is rated for 4 lbs at 60% AR. Looking forward to the summer here in the north east coast.

Comment

You're getting advice online from a wide variety of people with different experience, needs and budgets. Decide for yourself at what level you need your stand mixer to perform at. I have a Kitchenaid Pro 5 Plus KV25GOX (you can check it on Amazon) and it does everything I need if I treat it right. I don't work in a pro kitchen or do catering (just cooking for the family etc) and it works great. Get a Hobart if you're substantially more serious than me.
                      kv25goxmc

Comment

Working...
                      X