substituting king Arthur for caputo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: substituting king Arthur for caputo

My refrigerator is at 35. At that temp my sourdough is really close to inactive. It makes a little progress while cooling and then while warming but it really doesn't do much for a couple of days. At 50 with commercial yeast you should be proofing at barely less than half the normal room temp rate - say 1/3 the rate at 74 degrees. So, if you use full yeast you will get significant proofing overnight.

As a former cat cohabitant (is there such a thing as a cat "owner"?) I am well familiar with hairballs, fur balls, and assorting matts of lint and detritus! which may include everything up to remnants of captured prey. A good warning to all of us with pets to check our coils!

Stay cool!
    Jay

Comment

I think the fridge has been warmer than I'd have liked for some time, and since we're just getting our first warm weather here the temp was even warmer. I turned the fridge down to it's coldest setting last night and it's still hovering just above 40. :-(
      I'll pull it out again this afternoon and see if I've missed somwthing additional that needs cleaning.

Thanks for the info as to where you have your fridge's set.

Chris

Comment

That you are worried about your pizza dough and not your milk clearly shows you have your priorities in order

Comment

Splat,
          I was thinking the same thing. I've been unhappy about where my last batches have been relative to over proofing. Obviously I need a seperate fridge and the heck with that other stuff..

C

Comment

Like Splat! I was thinking about your milk figuring you must drink it awfully fast!

40 is still a bit high IMO but is within norms. The scarey part is you don't have much reserve (i.e. you put something warm in and the whole fridge warms...

Comment

It looks like 38 is where it want to drop to before digging in deeper. Jay, my son is 11 and my wife is French. Milk moves pretty quick around here, so its the other stuff that I worry about. We have been socked in with what we call June Gloom, a thick seasonal marine layer, Tuesday everything changed. We went from 65 at night to 70 for a daily high to 65 at night to 85. I'm glad I found out before having to buy a new compressor. Time to go and vacuum a bit more.

Chris
              Last edited by SCChris; 08-06-2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

OK Binford time!

Pull the air compressor out of the garage.
                Unplug the fridge.
                Blow off the condensor coils up front
                remove the panel off of the back
                Blow off the condensor coils in back
                Blow off anything else that looks like it'll help.
                Put it all back together and reset the temp dial a bit up from the bottom.

Oh and vacuum and scrub the kitchen to remove all dust.

My bet is I can get to 34 now.. after removing the dust bunnies from the condensors.
                At least I'm giving the fridge a fighting chance.

Chris

PS Update a few days later. After the full cleaning and a few days the fridge is down to 37. The morning after the second, deeper, cleaning I was at 40 and noted some frost at the cool air inlet in the fridge. The frost cleared later in the day. I wonder if some of what I'm seeing realted to dropping temps is the frost clearing in unseen parts of the fridge. Time will tell.

PSS after a few more days the fridge was down to 33 plus or minus depending on where in the fridge I measure. I bumped the temp just a bit and things are right where they should be.
                Last edited by SCChris; 08-06-2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X