No announcement yet.

Please evaluate these pizza pictures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please evaluate these pizza pictures...

I have been working on perfecting my dough and I am fairly pleased with my results this last time.
    I used the recipe recommended here:
    and
    I measured everything out with my new digital scale and found I needed to add more water to get it just right. I cut it up into balls of average weight of 250g, let it rise for 90 minutes and then stored the balls in the fridge for 3 days. They continued to rise in the fridge a little bit but the flavor was very good.
    I also am only getting 3 balls per batch, I thought I was going to get 4 out of this recipe.

Anyways, here are a couple pies I baked, I don't think my charring is perfect but the cornice puffed up nicely.

Re: Please evaluate these pizza pictures...

and the requisite upskirt shot.

Comment

They look good - personally, I choose the last pic - I love meat and mushrooms on my pizza.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

No anchovies !??

Comment

I get four 200g balls per 500g flour. Three 250's with a little bowl loss would be about right. It all depends on how big/thick you want your pizzas. If you are getting too much rise in the cold retardation, you could cut your yeast back to 2g, if you're using instant yeast.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I think I'll do that. I also ordered some sourdough starter and plan on trying some of it on my next batch. They say it comes with instructions but is there anything I should know about this stuff?

Comment

Very nice looking indeed - good job!!

The "upskirt" shot indicates that the temp could be a bit higher, but I would certainly like to sink my teeth into the meatlovers one with mince and mushroom...
              / Rossco

Comment

Hi Joey!

The pies look good. I tend to bake mine a bit longer. The dough looks a bit pale which could be a sign of overproofing or underbaking depending. Your dome temp looks good because you got the beginning of good caremalization on the dough and toppings. My personal taste is for more which is why I suggest a bit longer. As Rossco suggests, the upskirt shot suggests the hearth might be a hair cool, but...depends a bit on whether you went a bit longer since more time would darken both top and bottom. NOTE: we are not talking a long time here - possibly ten to thirty seconds depending on the oven temp.

You are on the right path!
                Jay

Comment

thanks for the tips. I did think I may have took the pies out a bit early but the oven was so hot I was scared to burn them.
                  The dough was completely cooked all the way through though.

Comment

Threads like this should be illegal. Those look fantastic. Got me wondering if the fact that it's monday is a good enough reason to shovel a new path through the snow to my oven and fire it up for tonights dinner.

I agree on the slightly underbaked comments. It looks like you had a good balance between hearth and dome temps, but I would have left them in just a little longer.
                    I do about like you with my dough ball weights...I shoot for about 230g and get 7 balls from a kilo of flour.
                    My personal preference is for a thinner stretch and less cornice that what you've got, keeping in mind that my "ideal" is based on my local VPN-designated place.

Comment

The nearest VPN place to me is in Dallas! 4hrs away...
                      I am having trouble stretching the dough out thinner. I am having to settle for "almost stretched all the way out" if not I end up tearing it.
                      Maybe I just need more practice? More practice can't be a bad thng when even a bad result is DELICIOUS!

Comment

Good comment splatgirl. Your pie taste and mine seem to be really close!

Stay warm. Spring IS coming. My peach trees should be blooming next week!
                        Jay

Comment

Joey,,
                          If they taste as good as they look,, Your doing great.. Have you covered your dome yet ??

Cheers
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                            Joey,,
                            If they taste as good as they look,, Your doing great.. Have you covered your dome yet ??

Cheers
                            Mark
                            Yeah, I've covered it with the first layer of homemade stucco and fired it up once to get all the cracks it is going to get in it. It got a few cracks throughout but not as many as I feared. It is now ready for the second and last coat but the weather has been crappy lately.
                            This is what it looks like now. The stucco came out to a tan buff color.

The front door flips down to pull out the ashtray and the back door that covers the firewood storage flips up to make a prep table.

Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 03-02-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

wow.....looks like its all coming together great..

Good Job
                              are u considering putting on a fold down shelf in front of the oven door ??
                              Cheers
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X