Do you or Don't you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you or Don't you?

I realise that I risk being tarred and feathered and possibly publicly flogged for daring to ask this question around here but...

Do you or don't you use olive oil in your pizza?

I have been making some bread lately and the addition of olive oil made an incredible difference to the texture of the dough. Knowing full well that it is a serious crime, I have been reluctant to go down that path but even Reinhart actually proposes using it in his latest book. Perhaps it is worth exploring - possibly covertly at the outset of course, so as not to arouse suspicion ...

To get an indication on how widespread this practice is - please indicate if your current pizza making methodology involves olive oil.
    YES
    33.33%
    NO
    66.67%
    / Rossco

Re: Do you or Don't you?

In (the dough): Yes.
    On (the pizza): Yes.

Comment

I use 2% oil in my dough. I've tried omitting it many times but the dough is never as nice. I cook at very high temps and have never had burning issues, although my dough is very high hydration.

Comment

Nope, never have in the dough. I'm scared to even try since I've had such good luck without it.
        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

i use it in the dough.
          Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

I use it in my dough (just the smallest amount) and a good splash on the pizza before throwing it into the oven.

Comment

In the dough I do not, but maybe I'll try it next time!

Comment

I've got the tar and flogging stick, anyone bring feathers?

Seriously, I originally DID use it in my WFO dough. I wasn't too thrilled with my first few attempts. Several members of the forum suggested I try the FB recipe that came with my Caputo flour - no olive oil, I've loved it and have not looked back.

The electric oven (indoor pizza) is another story. Only goes to 500 F, although a separate thermometer tells me it actually gets around 525 F - just doesn't seem to brown all that well. I've found olive oil helps with the browning. No measuring or percentages, just a couple of good splashes while I'm mixing. In fact, I have no set recipe for my indoor pizza dough; Just a basic idea that I "eyeball". Yes, it is a bit different everytime, but we like the slight variances....not the same old "electric oven pizza" you can find almost everywhere.

RT

Comment

The only olive oil my dough sees prior to putting toppings on is the little bit I brush on the sides of the bowl that I let it rise in. Hardly enough to say that it makes a difference. 1/2 a teaspoon per 850 g of dough...

Comment

ohyea, for indoor oven pizzas and cast-iron deep dish, I def. use olive oil in the dough

Comment

such a personal question!

I have tried it both ways, a few times, and really prefer no oil in the dough, but def a swirl on top.

It tastes good and I (believe I) look cool when I swirl.....

Well it tastes good any way. off topic but I bought a bottle of oil at a syrian market that was sooooo good.
                      My oven progress -
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                      sigpic

Comment

I was taught that you oil a vegetarian pizza, but not a meat one. No oil in the dough.

Comment

Don't do it! :-)

But I like to swirl good quality EVO on my pizzas right before they go into the oven.
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                          X