Neo Neopolitan Pizza Dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neo Neopolitan Pizza Dough

I made Reinhart's neo neopolitan pizza dough (Artisan Bread Every Day) a few nights ago and I have to say it was a real disaster. I went strictly according to the recipe and added sugar and olive oil ...EEEEEEEEEEEK ...

It was very sweet and the consistency was almost unworkable as it puffed up and had to be handled very delicately. I made 3 of the 5 doughs then stuck the others into the fridge to see if they would improve with age. I think they are destined for the bin though ... the sweet taste was really off putting too.

Anyone have any success with the this recipe???
    / Rossco

Re: Neo Neopolitan Pizza Dough

Hi Rossco,

I use Reinhart's neo neopolitan dough from American Pie. I like it because I don't find it delicate which suggests something went astray in your mixing. The recipe in ABED has more sugar/honey than American Pie. I would also note that the sugar/honey is optional.

Your description of your problems seems strange...the sugar addition jump starts the yeast and should lead to higher yeast activity and puffier dough than without. The yeast eats the sugar so there shouldn't be a lot left after proofing. Again... somehting seems wrong if it tastes sweet. For a start I would suggest dropping the recipe to 1 tablespoon sugar from 2 in ABED and I would also suggest using honey or agave syrup instead of sugar to get a more complex flavor profile. Or leave it out!

And I would note, neo Neapolitan uses bread flour with high gluten. I use King Arthur unbleached bread flour with 12.7% protein. It sounds like you may have used AP based on your handling problems.

Good Luck!
    Jay

Comment

Working...
    X