• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heliman
    replied
    Re: Great Flour Storage Container

Hi Mick,

Good to get your feedback on the Superb flour...

To arrive at the approximate 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, I measured .1 g on the electronic scale and them transferred it to a teaspoon to get an idea. It may have been that I used a small teaspoon which could have distorted the visual measurement.

I will send you a pic of the scale with the yeast on it to give you an idea of amount.

Leave a comment:

• BackyardPermaculture
    replied

Rossco,

I went to Supercheap and picked up 2 of those 20L pails and loaded them up with my 12.5 kg bags of Superb.

The Superb flour does seem very good. I hand-kneaded the biga for 5 minutes and it formed a lovely consistency.

Still can't get my head around your IDY weights. How can 1/4 teaspoon possibly be 0.1 gram? I'm quite sure that a teaspoon of IDY is a little over 3 grams, making 1/4 teaspoon closer to 1 gram than 0.1 gram? Something's not adding up for me here?

Cheers,

Mick

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

Ok sounds good ...

In making 810 grams of finished dough, I used the following amount of biga:

100 g - flour
    60 g - water
    0.1 g - IDY

Perhaps that will give an idea of ratio biga:dough

You should see a big difference in the handling with the high grade flour.

Leave a comment:

• BackyardPermaculture
    replied

Thanks Rossco,

I'll have a go at the same recipe - last time my biga was only 20% of the main mix.

Cheers,
    Mick

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

Excellent ...

I checked last night and .1g yeast is about 1/4 teaspoon
    So the biga mix I am using is:

Water: 60%
    Flour: 100%
    Yeast: .1%

I think that this comprises 40% of the main mix but I will check tonight to make sure. Just upscale according to you final dough requirement.

I autolyse 20 mins and then, knead for about 5 mins, then place straight into a Tupperware and into the fridge. I am cutting down on the time proofing on the bench.

Leave a comment:

• BackyardPermaculture
    replied

My wife picked up 2 bags of Superb for me this morning and a bag of Superb for a friend of mine - I'll probably start the biga tonight - superb indeed!

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

Excellent - keen to get your opinion on "Superb" ... IMHO ... it's SUPERB

I am gearing up to make another batch of pizza dough this week - using Superb!! How superb is that!!

Leave a comment:

• BackyardPermaculture
    replied

... and I finally found someone who sells some decent flour in 12.5kg bags, including Allied Mills Superb:

P.E.Foods: Complete Baking Ingredients Supplier

Leave a comment:

• BackyardPermaculture
    replied

Looks like they've got them for sale here in QLD too. Now if I could just find some decent flour to put in it...

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    started a topic Great Flour Storage Container

Great Flour Storage Container

For the pizza crew in WA - SupaCheap Auto has a "trade quality" 20 litre bucket-type container (ideal for flour storage) selling for $10. I popped out at lunch today and got one.

It is perfect for storing my bulk flour to keep it fresh as the lid seals tightly to keep the nasties out.
Working...
X