Crispy Roast Chicken in the WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crispy Roast Chicken in the WFO

Decided to do a whole roast chicken today for lunch.

Filled the cavity with sliced lemon, fresh rosemary and herbs and sprinkled spices on top for added flavour. The skin was crispy and crackled when you ate it. Did some roast potatoes, sweet potatoes and onions to go with it.
    / Rossco

Re: Crispy Roast Chicken in the WFO

That looks Yummo!
    Noli Illegitimi Carborundum

Comment

Tks for the feedback Axl - made another one on saturday night, plus two beef roasts. This time I popped the meat in and added soaked Hickory smoking chips for a few minutes before doing the main roasting. All the meats were very tasty as a result and it also provided a nice browing effect on the skin and outer surfaces of them.

Also baked 2 x ciabatta breads before the main roast as well which we used as a starter.

I definitely recommend trying meats and breads in the WFO. For too long I focussed on pizza only. This is a new challenge and so far has produced excellent results.
      / Rossco

Comment

Nice chicken! Two questions: 1) where did you get the neat rack you put it on, and 2) did you put anything under it or did you just let it drip onto the hearth?

Karl

Comment

Hi Karl,

I got the rack from the local hardware store and it costed about $6. I have 3 of them so I can make multiple roasts at the same time.

Chicken just dripped on the oven floor (cooked it breast side down to keep it from drying out). I did another chicken last Saturday and put potatoes in a tray underneath. It made them soggy so will keep them separate in future.
          / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
            I definitely recommend trying meats and breads in the WFO. For too long I focussed on pizza only. This is a new challenge and so far has produced excellent results.
            So far I have done 3 pizza nights and 3 Sunday roasts in mine, as well as two bakes of bread. I'm diversifying early I am due to a roast chook in it this weekend

The woodchip flavouring sounds interesting, might try that too one day

Cheers
            Axl
            Noli Illegitimi Carborundum

Comment

Sounds good Axl - grab some Weber wood chips from Bunnings or BBQ shop, soak them and pop them into the oven and close the door - it makes a nice variation on the standard chook roast.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your results...
              / Rossco

Comment

Been doing the cooked chooks in the WFO for a while now and as you say, the smoke tends to enhance both colour and taste. Endless variety of rubs and woods available to try. Todays effort...

U Dont Have 2 Have a Long Neck 2B1

Comment

Looks superb - is that one smoked?
                  / Rossco

Comment

Yes - used a Tassie oak offcut with the door closed allowing the smoke to permeate giving the colour and flavour....

Comment

Nice - I'm thinking of getting my hands on some smoking wood and getting my circular saw out and turning it into sawdust. I see that some people use a foil bag with holes poked into it as a smoking device which I may try some time. Till now I have just used the standard hickory chips soaked in water and that has worked quite well but I think sawdust will probably smoke better. I'll have to experiment.
                      / Rossco

Comment

I have 'fiddled' with different ways of smoking ie sawdust, chips and blocks, dry and soaked. Once the oven door is shut a smouldering offcut tends to do the job nicely - so far anyway...
                        Always willing to try something different and this forum is a great way to pick up on ideas.

Comment

Hi ALL
                          Just a newbie in using my WFO and ta date have only made pizza had a hell of a hot oven and late night so havn't tried the slower cooking as yet. I'm not sure how to bring my oven up to the lower temps for baking so any tips would be great

Thanks
                          Dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Dave...

I build a fire in the centre of the oven and let it burn down for a few hrs. Push the coals to the back of the oven and leave it for about 30 - 45 mins. I test with my temp gauge to get an idea of the temp. 350 c - leave chicken for an hr + 15 mins and you should be good to go.

Make sure you stabilise the temp before you put in meat/chicken etc. Much of it is trial and error though so do some experimenting before cooking for guests.

Have fun!
                            / Rossco

Comment

Rossco
                              Do you use a door to keep in the heat if so what type? sealed oven type? or the type that lets the fire still breath?

Dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                              X