what to cook for a sunday lunch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to cook for a sunday lunch?

well its that time off the year when its too hot to cook inside and you need to work in the yard just about every weekend to get on top off the summer rains

what's your idea off a nice meal ie roast, pizza or just something for lunch/dinner in the wfo

post your idea's off what you like to do and recipe's as well

today the 28/11 im cooking a doing a creamy chicken caserol nothing hard realy just a set and forget style but im using a tagine for something different and throw in a heap off herbs

Re: what to cook for a sunday lunch?

Today I'm planning a coupla roast chooks, there already the marinated type so no more work there. My Mums ( compulsive collecter of kitchen gagets) has given us a large heavy based roasting dish with a rack inside. Nestle the birds add water to the bottom. All the good bits should drip to the bottom and should make a good gravy. Add to that the usual asortment of vegies well thats the plan

Regards
    Dave

Mums going to add a bread and butter pudding tho she doesnt know it yet
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 11-27-2010, 05:23 PM. Reason: cant spell
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

TA DA...................

Click image for larger version

Name:	chooks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	283569

Didnt get my bread and butter pudding though

DAVE
      Measure twice
      Cut once

My Build
      My Door

Comment

nice dave your a real jamie oliver there mate

i better get the camera out for next weekend for some pic's

Comment

Looks nice Dave!!

I have been doing chickens regularly - along with roast veg and even an apple pie (yesterday). The trick with chickens I have found is to cover them with foil completely and cook for about an hour. Remove foil, add a quick burning piece of wood and crispen the meat - rotating it at about 7 minute intervals until completely browned. Do the same with the veg to make a tasty meal. I always select a free range chicken for an extra tasty end result.
          / Rossco

Comment

One of my favourites is cup mushrooms with the stalks removed, then filled with a little bacon and feta cheese topped with a drizzle of v olive oil and balsamic glaze. You can cook these in a low baking dish at any temp. just wait for the feta to melt and the mushrooms will be perfect. If you select mushrooms about 35mm diam they are excellent to eat in one bite. Hmm think I'll light my oven now, typing this is making me hungry.
            Dave
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

A nice lamb roast with spuds etc, hmm delish

The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Don't mean to crash your Australian forum. But you are talking of the hot temperatures and your cooking is plain outstanding. It give me real inspiration for the summer so far away.

Yesterday I was thinking about you. The weather man forecast a cold but nice day on Sunday. So Thursday I started to build my sourdough starter for a Sunday bake. Well come Saturday in comes snow and wind. I'm committed at this point with my bread.

So Sunday while you are baking that scrumptious looking food I was out in -6 degree Celsius in the dark with hard blowing snow with little snow tornadoes loading bread in the oven before it froze or blew away.

Don't take me wrong it was still great fun and an adventure but I was still thinking of you and your Sunday cooking in the warm sun.

Comment

Sorry, hate to break this to you but were just coming out of 12 years of drought. The bigger the drought the bigger the rains the old timers say...
                  Here in Manly west Brisbane I have poured out 90mm (3 and 1/2 inches) out of the rain gauge for the week to Sat evening. Sat night and Sun another 100mm (4 inches).
                  Wet wood Wet oven...... No Go in the cooking dept. Well at least its warm
                  26 C. (80 F) so I've giving up wearing shoes as much as possible to prevent the pile up at the back landing of wet shoes....

regards Dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

Brickie, did you roast that leg of lamb on the rack as shown in the picture - over the veggies? If so, did you add the veggies part way through? Looks fantastic.

Karl

Comment

The leg was cooked as you see it, Im not 100% sure on the veggies but I think they went in at the same time..

They all tasted delicious, it was the first time we'd roasted that way but it will be the preferred way from now as the meat wasnt all fatty from sitting in the juices.
                      Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-06-2010, 08:55 PM.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Anyone tried a butterflied leg of lamb, straight on the hearth?

Comment

Dear faith in virginia
                          Sorry from dave... we are really chuffed over here on finally getting proper rain so..... sorry to tease you about the temps. would however like to here more about your baking. I'm an ex sailor so... Ive done a bit of bread baking over the years. My pop (grandad) used to make the bread boxes for the old Welch oven in the little country town i spent most of my teenage years in. As a sailor being up at nights doing your rounds and watches you always helped the cooks in the bread bake. Being mostly in South East Asia it was hot!!!!
                          Too hot for a good loaf but a bun or bread roll was esay to produce in the heat. I would like to hear more about your latest bake. come winter and the lower temps I would like to attempt some bread baking.... well you can't beat the lower temps, a bit of moisture and an oven coming of temp to produce a good crusty loaf.... hav'nt tried it yet but just you wait....

Regards
                          Dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

what gloves do you guys use to you roasts out??? im kinda wierd ...i use welding gloves new off coarse and cheep as well

Comment

Originally posted by Worb View Post
                              Anyone tried a butterflied leg of lamb, straight on the hearth?
                              that sounds like a good idea....it would seal the meat almost straight away wouldnt it?

Comment

Working...
                              X