Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help acquiring DIY mortar mix ingredients

Hi Guys and girls.
    I will be starting my oven in a few months and I'm in the process of acquiring material and finding suppliers for materials I will need.
    I want to look into the DIY mortar mix but see I need Portland cement, fireclay and preferably silca sand.
    I was at a refractory supplier the other day getting a few bricks and some silica board when I mentioned I might try my own mortar mix.
    They were selling mortar bags for $49 each and a fundu cement in a tub for $49. I asked if they sold fireclay and the guy had no idea what I was on about.
    So firstly to the aussie guys/girls who have made their own mortar what did you use and if in Melbourne where did you get it from.
    Also I see Portland cement mentioned a lot as the stuff to use. Can we get it here in Melbourne (Bunnings didn't have it) and if not what substitute can be used. Lastly what sand was used in the mix I was reading silica sand is the preferred choice, any thoughts on that.

Thanks.. Oscar

Re: need help acquiring DIY mortar mix ingredients

Just found this which I'm sure will be of benefit for some.

http://www.cement.com.au/Images/BCSC...Jan%202006.pdf

Comment

You actually talked to someone in Bunnings? what were you thinking?
      Im sure they didnt know what Portland cement was, they employ the unemployable.

GP (general purpose) cement is Portland, its the same.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks Brickie, I was actually looking for cement with Portland written on it at Bunnings.
        I thought Portland was a company brand name for a special type of cement called Portland.
        Well that makes things a lot easier.

Comment

Portland is a coastal town in England, the cement was named Portland as it resembled the Portland stone.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi OscarA and welcome aboard.
            great to see another Aussie come on board.I used the home brew and am wrapped with the results when compared to the cracks from those who used the expensive refractory adhesives.
            I used plain old brickie sand in the mix and used the ratio of 1:1:1:3, Portland cement, fireclay, quicklime and sand.
            Thermal Ceramics sell (or used to sell) fireclay but you will need less than a 20kg bag for your oven.
            The portland cement could be available in either of 2 mixes, a straight portland (usually a bit more expensive) or a blended mix which has flyash (the ash from coal burning power stations) in it.

Cheers.

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
              or a blended mix which has flyash (the ash from coal burning power stations) in it.

AKA....... GB, or General Builders cement.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks Neill and Brickie in oz

I've been looking at pottery supply places this morning on the net and it looks like a place down the road sells fireclay for $27 in 25kg bags. They also sell Silica sand for $11 in 5kg bags or $22 for larger bags probably 20-25kgs.
                Don't know if this is an overkill as Neill said he never bothered but if it helps I'll probably get it.
                Slowly getting there but I'm in no rush as I want to do this right.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarA View Post
                  Hi Guys and girls.
                  I will be starting my oven in a few months and I'm in the process of acquiring material and finding suppliers for materials I will need.
                  I want to look into the DIY mortar mix but see I need Portland cement, fireclay and preferably silca sand.
                  I was at a refractory supplier the other day getting a few bricks and some silica board when I mentioned I might try my own mortar mix.
                  They were selling mortar bags for $49 each and a fundu cement in a tub for $49. I asked if they sold fireclay and the guy had no idea what I was on about.
                  So firstly to the aussie guys/girls who have made their own mortar what did you use and if in Melbourne where did you get it from.
                  Also I see Portland cement mentioned a lot as the stuff to use. Can we get it here in Melbourne (Bunnings didn't have it) and if not what substitute can be used. Lastly what sand was used in the mix I was reading silica sand is the preferred choice, any thoughts on that.

Thanks.. Oscar
                  Oscar, give me a call on 0451 470371, I can supply all your mortar requirements.

Comment

Yeah give John a ring, he knows his stuff..

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks John much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X