Karangi Dude's 48inch Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Karangi Dude's 48inch Oven

Yes Tropical, there will be a vent arch with a chimney and a decorative arch out front.

The vent arch has to accommodate that rather large door so that it can swing back 90 degrees, this has been a bit of challenge but I am sure we have it right lets hope as there is a beautiful piece of granite on order for the entrance that we measured at the mock up stage.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:35 AM.
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude View Post
      Progresing well with the 1500mm oven, not long before we need to make the disc to support the last few courses.
      That is some sharp brickwork and the door is beautiful!
      Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:37 AM.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Hi Doug

I have a question re cutting oneside of the brick [ img-0873 page 222 ].
        It seems in the picture that you leave a wedge at the rear of the brick.

Is this intentional to allow mortar fill to hold the Brick.

or it appears to me that

The angle being marked and cut on one side is not cut all the way through the Brick, but only 2/3 of the Brick leaving this wedge shape to fill with mortar also allowing the brick to be a little wider at the front.

I hope that makes sense. AM i seeing this correctly.
        Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:37 AM.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Yes it is an awesome door thanks
          Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
            That is some sharp brickwork and the door is beautiful!
            Thanks Stonecutter, the guy that I am helping build the oven had the door made by an old blacksmith he did a great job, I wish he had talked to me first as it is really to big and there has been issues with how it will fit the vent and decorative arches.
            I did not know him when he had the door made, he has had it for some time and had been looking for someone to help or build the oven for him.

So I have designed the oven around the door, so far so good.
            Yes he is doing some good brickwork, he want's it to be really neat.

Comment

Doug, are you using the refractory mortar or a home brew? The bought stuff is very expensive.
              Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                Doug, are you using the refractory mortar or a home brew? The bought stuff is very expensive.
                Bert,

We are using the refractory motar from Feild Furnace Refractories at Wetherill Park.
                I used the same on my build it works great you can use it up to 40mm thick, I only used it at about 15 to 20mm, can't remember the price now but it was not that expencive in comparison to the bricks and insulation
                Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                  Hi Doug

I have a question re cutting oneside of the brick [ img-0873 page 222 ].
                  It seems in the picture that you leave a wedge at the rear of the brick.

Is this intentional to allow mortar fill to hold the Brick.

or it appears to me that

The angle being marked and cut on one side is not cut all the way through the Brick, but only 2/3 of the Brick leaving this wedge shape to fill with mortar also allowing the brick to be a little wider at the front.

I hope that makes sense. AM i seeing this correctly.
                  Colin,

You are seeing it right the reason that the cut does not go all the way is that the bricks Josh is using are half bricks with a pre-cut taper (he baught them like that) he is back cutting that angle just so that he can get it clear of the previous brick and add a bit more mortar in there to help hold them in place (he is not that confident with his brick laying skills)

If you are using straight bricks cut in half then you have a bigger gap at the back that needs to be filled with mortar.
                  Same thing though with the cutting of the angle to avoid the inverted ''V'' you only need to cut one side and only enough to allow you to push that brick up against the front edge of the previuos brick.

Comment

Thanks Doug.

Clears it up perfectly.

Oh and I agree with previous comments about, offensive Posts. Most inappropriate and needs to be removed.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Thanks Doug. This pool has bled us dry so looking at cost saving where I can hahaha

Re: offensive coment...I agree, I had the opportunity to travel to Poland a few years back and visited the site...the word Horrific comes to mind.

Hopefully this was just a massive brain fa=t on the posters part.

Cheers

Alex
                      Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:44 AM.
                      Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude View Post
                        Thanks Stonecutter, the guy that I am helping build the oven had the door made by an old blacksmith he did a great job, I wish he had talked to me first as it is really to big and there has been issues with how it will fit the vent and decorative arches.
                        I did not know him when he had the door made, he has had it for some time and had been looking for someone to help or build the oven for him.

So I have designed the oven around the door, so far so good.
                        Yes he is doing some good brickwork, he want's it to be really neat.
                        That smithy has some serious skill! That door is very,very clean..it doesn't look hand made. It reminded me of the old, ornate cast doors I used to see on wood stoves growing up.

That's some trick too...designing an oven around the door.
                        Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:44 AM.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks Stonecutter,

Yes building an oven around that door was a bit tricky.
                          Ovens I understand, I am working as a consultant on several ovens at the moment precast (shop bought), Barrel (my design) a couple of igloos and now a cob.

I only wish I could do stone work half as good as you (I understsnt that is your trade) but at my age it is probably a tad to late, that is probably why I consult rather than build ovens.
                          Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Oh, it's never to late to try. Maybe your next build will include some stonework!
                            Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:45 AM.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Hey Doug

You should put the build pictures up on this thread of your consult builds.

Then index page 1 with the starting page location of the respective builds you consult on.
                              Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:46 AM.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Dude,

I just checked this thread out and it is looking great! How long do you think it will take until someone builds one of these without mortar? It's getting close... Nice work!
                                Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:47 AM.
                                Check out my pictures here:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X