Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashing, where to get...

Hi guys

Just got my oven installed, it has an 8" flue which goes through a tiled roof which has exposed timbers (no ceiling). Can anyone advise where I can get a suitable flashing.

I know I can get a lead flashing but the rubber boot that goes over the flew will not stand the heat of a woodfired oven. I'm in Perth and tried a few of the usuals like Bunnings Hearth House etc. Galvins have the Lead flashing but the they reckon the red boot is only good for 200C, I'm not sure what the temps get up to but considering the heat of the oven I'm sure its higher than that.

It might need to be double skinned, but I'm tight for room with the roof timbers as I am.

The guy that does the roof work for the installer has gone on holidays for 3 weeks and I'd like to close my roof up.

Any help appreciated.

John

Re: Flashing, where to get...

Hi guys

Got no replies, so went ahead and fitted lead flashing over flue and then fitted red silicon boot over that. I was really worried what sort of heat I would get as the boot is good for around 200C. I have an infrared thermometer and it only gets up to about 50-90C at the flashing. So no real issues after all.

Hope this might be of help to someone.

John

Comment

Hi John,
      just saw your thread.
      I had a similar situation and have it somewhere on my posts but have put a few pics here for you.
      I used a 1" larger diameter sleeve over the 8" chimney and packed the void with superwool insulation. The silicone rubber seal is standing up to some very hot fires one that melted my downlights.
      Hope this helps you.

Cheers.

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
        Hi John,
        just saw your thread.
        I had a similar situation and have it somewhere on my posts but have put a few pics here for you.
        I used a 1" larger diameter sleeve over the 8" chimney and packed the void with superwool insulation. The silicone rubber seal is standing up to some very hot fires one that melted my downlights.
        Hope this helps you.

Cheers.

Neill
        I'm looking for some small pieces of Superwool. I see that you purchased some to use in your oven. Do you have any scraps that you would be willing to sell? I don't need much and do not want to buy an entire roll. Thanks.

Comment

Neill.

Was that a single wall flue or double wall?
          Im getting a double wall flue, presuming i shouldnt have issues with heat then?

Comment

Check out the general construction in the forum and a thread "keeping me and my oven dry" by faith in virginia for a great homemade idea

Regards Cobblerdave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Should be fine unless you have huge flames going up the chimney. My mobile oven that I hire out occasionally gets its silicon seal around the base cooked, but it's only when people allow lots of flame up the flue.( "gee this fire is fun, lets see how much flame we can get going out the top") It never happens when I use it. The silicon I use is rated to 205 C There is higher temp silicon, but it uses carcinogens and is way more expensive. Presumably the flue pipe will be way cooler up near the ceiling too.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Neil,
                I noticed that your flue pipe is standard galvanized rather than stainless. How's it holding up corrosion wise?
                Dave
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                X