Cockroaches in the woodpile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cockroaches in the woodpile

With the onset of the warmer weather has brought a plague of brown cockroaches that have taken up residence in my woodpile.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to get rid of these nasty creatures? Don't want to use any poisons as we have cats...
    Last edited by heliman; 12-12-2010, 04:48 AM.
    / Rossco

Re: Cockroaches in the woodpile

dear Rossco
    I'm taking a guess here... there not the little beggers but the big wood eaters? We get them here in SE QLD and there big I mean BIG some of them look like skatboards with legs.
    All jokes aside we get the bottom of our house (Queenslander on high stumps) sprayed once a year and the modern sprays are not so much on the poison but cause infertility and any offspring can't continue the cycle on.
    If you dont get ride of them they can get a bit smelly, "cockies" put there stomach contents on there food to break it down.
    You might try this however I do this to sort them out round the wifes pot plants.
    Cut down an ice cream container so the beggers can get in fill the bottom with old beer.. they get drunk and drown fast. works well for snails as well

Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks for the info Dave ..

These are definitely the brown things that puke on everything and stink when you crush them. They also fly and get inside the house and infest everything. Have got screens to keep them out but they scurry around when we are sitting outside and using the WFO.

Will give that trick a go and see what happens. I have lots of beer available - people leave it here after parties and it eventually goes off as I don't drink!
      / Rossco

Comment

Thanks Doug - will see what "safe" baits I can find and give it a go. I know I won't get rid of them completely but I would be happy wih a reduction in the numbers for now. It isn't a problem in the winter months...
        / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
          Cut down an ice cream container so the beggers can get in fill the bottom with old beer.. they get drunk and drown fast. works well for snails as well

Regards dave
          Sounds like a wicked way to go!!!! But must say Rossco, I have a heap at my place too! I employ my kids with their boots to seek them out...but also have found my Jack Russel likes to chomp and drop them, so that works really well too.

Comment

Ha - will have to make some kids first ... none at my place unfortunately!! Maybe santa will give the wife some new boots and a how-to book on doing the cockroach dance?? Now there's a thought!
            / Rossco

Comment

Don't know if this would help but maybe worth a try?Cockroach Control
              If not, maybe they make a good crispy pizza topping ! Ok, sorry, I just made myself sick!
              View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Pizza topping... no way..there too crunchy... and anyway hate the legs getting stuck in ya teeth. soak um in beer

dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                X