Do you know this wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know this wood?

Calling all (Western) Australian wood experts .. I need help identifying this hardwood that I found chopped down and ready for the bulk rubbish collection.

The owner of the house said he didn't know what it is but that it was used as mine shaft props around Kalgoorlie. My mother thinks it may be Malga or Mallee ... perhaps someone knows. It has a small leaf like a peppermint and small pollen balls arranged in clusters.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
    / Rossco

Re: Do you know this wood?

Originally posted by heliman View Post
    Malga or Mallee ... perhaps someone knows.
    Mulga and Mallee are both Eucs, the mallee can be any of many Eucs that has many stems from one tuber like base at ground level.

It has a small leaf like a peppermint and small pollen balls arranged in clusters.
    Small pollen clusters points to a (acacia) wattle of some kind, if so it will burn with a passion.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks for the info - so it's not poisonous or anything? What about flavouring?
      / Rossco

Comment

Thanks for the info - so it's not poisonous or anything? What about flavouring?
        I dont think wattles are poisonous, dont know about flavour, when dried it should burn to a almost non existent white ash.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

OK that's great - thanks ... now I am wondering if I should go and get some more of the wood - there is about another Ton lying there. Logs are much bigger so I may need to do some chainsaw action on the verge!! I did warn the owner and he was very keen that the wood was going to a good home..
          / Rossco

Comment

Its free, go for it.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

OK - will go and wake the guy up tomorrow morning with a chainsaw concerto and grab the rest of it!
              / Rossco

Comment

Last night after cooking I thre some of the very green "mystery" wood in to the oven to do an overnight kiln dry so I could test it out this morning. Pieces were cut quite small to facilitate drying and this morning I started my fire and observed how the wood reacted.

The mystery wood ignited as though it was doused in lighter fluid - burning with intense heat and a very large flame. Surprisingly it doesn't seem to be making very good coals but I will observe a bit longer to make sure. If it is just a quick burner it will be useful for adding the the WFO to make reflected heat, though I would prefer that it makes at least a reasonable amount of coals.

Free is free so I can't complain .. was a good find!
                / Rossco

Comment

The mystery wood ignited as though it was doused in lighter fluid - burning with intense heat and a very large flame. Surprisingly it doesn't seem to be making very good coals
                  It sure does sound like wattle, burns with a passion, very hot, and gone in 60 seconds.

If you control the air input, as we do with the wood heater in the lounge, it will burn for ages with hardly any air.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I plundered the rest of the wood from the verge and have cut it into splittable lengths. Whilst I was there I grabbed a sprig of leaves with pollen to help try and identify it.
                    / Rossco

Comment

Its a Euc of some sort going from the flowers and nuts.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Interesting ...

The bark is ultra thin too and peels off in flames almost instantly when placed in the WFO. I have heard some gums do that sort of thing particularly in bush fires etc due to chemicals in the wood.

I may get my neighbour, who is familiar with WA woods, to take a look and comment. I am eager to know what it is - more out of curiosity - as I will definitely use it all in the WFO to get the flare going. Have cut and split some very large logs to see if I can get some coals out of it...
                        / Rossco

Comment

definitely some sort of eucalyptus. It will burn like lighter fluid, it has eucalyptus oil in it.
                          Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Perhaps this one?
                            Eucalyptus foecunda Schauer: FloraBase: Flora of Western Australia

Comment

Working...
                            X