X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CC Earthquake

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
    brickie in oz
    maybe you can rebuild the church dome as the pizza oven dome, thereby getting it as the biggest domed oven ever built!

Neill
    It would be a better use for such a magnificent building Im sure, imagine the size of the pizzas.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Some scary figure just released (To give these some scale population of city approx 400,000)

* 996 buildings in the Central Business District (comprising 70% of the CBD) are red-stickered and will likely need to be bulldozed.
      * More than 12,000 residential homes have been earmarked for demolition.
      * 61,000 people are on wage support or earthquake assistance.
      * 30% of all businesses are affected in some form.
      * Hotels are struggling with a 13% occupancy rate.
      * Tourism (the region's single biggest economic contributor) has ground to a halt.

Comment

12,000 residents for demolition....

That means 12,000 families..mum, dad, kids...mortgages...peoples lives, hopes, dreams and the comunities they live in, fractured....

In my prayers
        I feel very saddened
        Cobblerdave.....
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

We just had a 5.4 30 Km southwest of us. I didn't feel anything but other folk said their homes were shaking. What's happening? is the planet fighting back? Might have to find a new one. We didn't leave Mars in very good condition.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

[QUOTE=david s;111246]We just had a 5.4 30 Km southwest of us.

Now they are saying it was 124 Km south east. I just love the media's accuracy.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The wife said tonights TV news report said there was Earhtquake activity from New Guinea down the fault line to New Zealand over the last 2 Days.
              Yes CC has more shocks how big I don't know. sorry for secound hand info

Regards Cobblerdave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

This site is by far the best quake reporting site I've seen for what's happening around here. the graphs, maps etc are fantastic. Total shakes approaching 5500 since Sepetemebr 2010 isn't fantastic ! In 30+yrs prior I'd only ever felt 5 or 6......
                Canterbury Quake Live

Magnitude itself isn't very effective at quantifing what you feel. Location & depth more important.
                A 5.0 magnitude 10km deep and 10km away feels far less than a 4.0 5km depth at same location even though 5.0 magnitude release 30 times the energy of a 4.0
                e.g. the magnitude 9 quake 125km from Japan shook the ground on mainland Japan far less than the 6.3 magnitude 5.8km right under Christchurch city

The modified mercalli intensity scale (MMI) is a better number for saying what is felt at any location
                GeoNet – New Zealand Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale

Note, if I exclude the tragic deaths of many, long term I truly believe the recent quakes have been a good thing. We will get a better stronger city, both buildings and people. It will just take 5-10yrs to get there. In meantime we just need to get used to living in lower standard of living. Still far far from 3rd world conditions though.

Comment

Working...
                X