Infrared thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Infrared thermometers

I don't think that it was ever suggested that infrared thermometers were essential to WFO cooking and I certainly wouldn't brand them as "fun" instruments.

Their role is to provide a very accurate temperature range at all locations in the oven including the dome so that optimum conditions can be identified and repeated with consistent results. Does the one you suggest determine dome, side, rear and centre temperatures?

I am not keen on a hit-and-miss approach to WFO cooking - particularly when you have several guests around expecting decent fare.

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    Infrared thermometers are fun, but you don't need one to cook in a brick oven.
    Last edited by heliman; 03-06-2011, 11:50 PM.
    / Rossco

Comment

Hi all
      Thanks for all the input its been great to hear all views. Ive been holding of writing anything till I used that thing a few times but weekend rains thats the end of that.
      I used the termometer on the gas BBq and found the readind I was getting were about the same with the BBq gauge reading about 20C higher on the whole.
      Next flashed up the WFO for about 2 hrs (my norm) and with the fire mainly coals the infrared was used temp at bare hearth about 400C soldier course
      450C and the roof... well maxed out damn hot up there...
      I then added more wood and got a roaring fire going Wow...that was hot much hotter than I had taken the oven to before. Throw a little flour on the hearth.... burnt up before it got there recon you could melt lead in there.
      Also tried a little circle of dough...puffed up and started to smoke on the peal.... didn't even make the hearth. Wow couldn't believe the heat that these things can get too. difinitly maxed the infrared out.....way above 540C.
      Let the temps drop over the next say one two hours and when the temps were back in the 500C range cooked a pizza . cooked a little faster than what I would have hoped mins to cook a pizza.
      Let the temps drop into the 400C range and this was perfect for what I like my pizza to cook at takes under 10 mins and you can get more toppings on each one.
      With the fire out and cleared from the oven I let it sit for a hour or too further
      and when I place the door on ,the standard temp gauge in it read 220C the same as the reading on the bricks at the same hieght as the standard gauge on the door... great both read the same. heath temps about 40C lower
      Even though I d only used it once it has done what I had hoped ...give me an idea of the temps i was dealing with and hopfully in the future will give a little more control over how I use the oven. I also think that 540C is enough of a range to use.. anything above this is just to high for food anyway.
      Next time I flash it up I hope to do some cooking with the fire in the oven that doesn't only involve just pizza.

Regards Dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

This was a very helpful thread to read thanks for starting it up Dave, and all the input form everyone else. I love the was fire is spoken about on this site, it's such a good, fun thing to be working with. Still in the early days of curing my oven and looking forward to all the experiences!!

Happy cooking,

Tim

Comment

Gudday mothy
          Quite a bit on from when that thread was written now.
          Intend to be a bit simpler in my approach to temps . You know when there's enough wood through the oven for it to be heat saturated. I take my temps off the oven floor 410C to 470C for pizza if I take it at all.
          Retained heat cooking I know the door gauge reads over by 40C to the hearth temps so close enough is good enough. And don't fret to much about temps I can remember really burning or over cooking much when using retained heat and an insulated door.
          You can always put in a garlic and cheese pizza in a first if it burst into flames you just tell folks the first ones a tester that suppose to happen.
          Then you swab the floor like crazy and put them in on trays. You'll find the oven a bit more forgiving than a home oven really.
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once

My Build
          My Door

Comment

David

I got this one online. $150 I think I was from gastools. It goes to 1200c yeah overkill but the thermocouple was a bonus. Plus you can plug into pc and it comes with software.

I will look for the link and post it. Currently selling $168

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-1-Dual...-/120730266451

Has gone up
            Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-18-2013, 02:20 AM.
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Didn't realize that was such an old old thread.........
              Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-18-2013, 02:25 AM.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

IR thermometers are great for detecting hot chicks down at the mall.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                  IR thermometers are great for detecting hot chicks down at the mall.
                  s(*t David

I should be right with mine then going all the way too 1200c................. I'll be able to detect the hottest out there.
                  Wont help me much. SWMBO maxed it out .......
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    s(*t David

I should be right with mine then going all the way too 1200c................. I'll be able to detect the hottest out there.
                    Wont help me much. SWMBO maxed it out .......
                    Colin
                    And your Misses will detect that in .02 of a sec and you'll earn yourself a clip behind the ear. Swap them for a set of sunglasses you might have a chance
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

Sunglasses are a give away David. As us blokes have an issue with head swiveling. So still get the clip behind the ear as you put it.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                      X