No announcement yet.

Any peeps on the Central Coast of NSW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any peeps on the Central Coast of NSW?

Hi All

Anyone building or planning to build a WFO on the Central Coast of NSW? I'm finding it very difficult to get a definative answer out of council regarding regulations.

I plan on starting another thread shortly to capture my project!

Cheers

Bert
    Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Re: Any peeps on the Central Coast of NSW?

Your first mistake in building the oven was going to the council.
    Like most councils they are just there to fill the day in to get a pension, they wouldnt even know what a WFO was until you told them.

Just build it..
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Couldnt agree more Brickie!

Comment

In in Newcastle so not far away.

Like Brickie, I kept well away from the council and have great neighbours who will talk to me if they have any problems with my oven. So far the only complaints that I've had from my neighbours is that I haven't fired it up on a particular weekend for them to use the residual heat.

At the time of my build I looked up our local council rules and if you classify a WFO as a BBQ and keep the total heigh below 1.5m and no closer than 0.9m to the boundry then you wouldn't need approval. My oven is higher than 1.5m and about 0.1m from the boundry so don't tell anyone.
        Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
        (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
          At the time of my build I looked up our local council rules and if you classify a WFO as a BBQ and keep the total heigh below 1.5m and no closer than 0.9m to the boundry then you wouldn't need approval. My oven is higher than 1.5m and about 0.1m from the boundry so don't tell anyone.
          Shit, mine is 3M high.... well the chimney is, but well away from the fence.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            Shit, mine is 3M high.... well the chimney is, but well away from the fence.
            I looked at the council regulations, decided mine was a barbie, so I didn't apply for approval - and if someone checks the height, I'll just slide out the s/s flue and store it...

Cheers
            LMH

NB: My unfinished oven lives at picasaweb.google.com/Brasa500C/Forno_del_gallo
            "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

What they don't know, won't hurt them!
              All they do is collect the fees, make life difficult, never follow up any builds and don't accept any responsibility at all.
              Ofter they require engineers specifications on anything that they don't understand or know about.
              Well, that's my experiences with councils anyway!

Neill
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I'm on the central coast and was able to get NOTHING from wyong council, they are useless. I built my oven against the retaining wall. It is far enough away from the house and thats all I find is important. Neither of the houses are built along this wall and my neighbours had no problem with where i'd placed it. Although be built one of those DIY stratco awnings with no approval.

All I could find on the net was as long as it was smaller than 14m/sq (I think it was?) then does not require approval.

Comment

Hughness firstly great oven. Did you purchase the refractory mortar for your oven as part of the kit!

Your right, councils here dont seem to know how to treat WFO's I would argue a mans gotta eat right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    Hughness firstly great oven. Did you purchase the refractory mortar for your oven as part of the kit!

Your right, councils here dont seem to know how to treat WFO's I would argue a mans gotta eat right?
                    Cheers mate

Yea I bought the kit from field furnace and they advised me to buy an extra bag of the mortar and thank god they did! It's not worth the trouble going back to get mote when they aren't even open weekends!

Let me know if you need some pointers and I've got the door and arch templates if you want to borrow them.

Anyway bloody councils right!!

Comment

Originally posted by Huhness View Post
                      Cheers mate

Yea I bought the kit from field furnace and they advised me to buy an extra bag of the mortar and thank god they did! It's not worth the trouble going back to get mote when they aren't even open weekends!

Let me know if you need some pointers and I've got the door and arch templates if you want to borrow them.

Anyway bloody councils right!!
                      Did you get the material delivered? I had a quote of $280.00 to deliver it which seemed a bit steep. I assume yours is 1000mm internal diameter?

Thankyou for your very kind offer of borrowing the templates, I'll keep that in mind when I get to that stage. Ever since i broke ground on my build it's bloody rained! I'm still at the point of excavating at present...many tonnes of soil and sandstone still to move.

Any new pics from your build. I quite like how the tampered flute bricks look. You must be very pleased with yourself.

Ive borrowed my father-in-laws brazier to start getting the neighbours used to all the smoke!

Cheers

Bert

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        Did you get the material delivered? I had a quote of $280.00 to deliver it which seemed a bit steep.
                        Bert,

I got my bricks & mortar from FFR delivered to Newcastle for $100.

I found a local courier (just around the corner from work) and they picked them up for me when they didn't have a load back to Newcastle. I had to wait over a week until they were empty and pay cash but it seem that it was worth it if I saved about $180!
                        Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
                        (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Alter Ego thats a great idea!

was thinking of borrowing my father-in-laws ute but supposedly 1100 kilos of weight. the wheels will probably touch the tray!

Comment

Working...
                          X