Wood, wood and MORE Wood...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood, wood and MORE Wood...

Yesterday I went to collect some prime Angus rib-eye steak from a friend and just around the corner from his place I saw a whole lot of super dry, cut into usable length logs of wood on the verge. I stopped outside the house and popped in to say hello to the owner and ask if I could grab some.

After a friendly reception and an offer to me to "take as much wood as I wanted", the chap said - "wait there's more" and showed me a large, very dry, dead tree in his yard and offered to cut it into 30cm lengths and stack it outside for me to collect. How good was that!!

Not wanting to have the guy go to any trouble I said that I would bring my chainsaw and remove it gradually for him - starting next weekend, which is a long one! He was very pleased and the deal was done!!

So, always be on the look out for free wood - there is lots around and much of it is seasoned and ready to cut, split and load into the oven. On that note, there was a certain amount of added pleasure this morning in having breakfast using some of yesterday's wood. Have been mainly getting green wood up until now, but will definitely now aim to get wood that is "ready to go" in future.....
    / Rossco

Re: Wood, wood and MORE Wood...

It is amazing how much free wood is around. I have still not paid for any yet. Best wood is free wood. I find decent logs are better cut into 6" slices. They are so much easier to split.
    I love getting wood.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Wood collection - new national passtime??

Just did the first run to collect the first load of what is some of the best wood that I have come across. Dried to perfection and very easy to split. Did a quick test burn to get an idea of the heat, coal creation. This stuff burns quite hot and produces very little smoke. Will have enough for about 15-20 firings from that. Normally a fire costs me about $12 ... so there is quite a big saving in that!!

Some pics to see quality...
      Last edited by heliman; 05-30-2011, 11:10 PM.
      / Rossco

Comment

Noice find.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I use leftover scraps of kin-dried pine.. mostly because I create them... and it's free... and it burns clean. I use oak once it gets to temp and it's time for actually pizza cooking as the pine crackles a little too much.. but it still saves money!
          My oven (for now):
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

What is the final word about pine? I have read a lot of places that it creates too much tar or something. I can find plenty of free pine but the applewood I that is around here generally is kinda pricey. I understand that there is a lot of pizza purism that dictates that hardwoods are the only choice but is pine a viable option?

Comment

Originally posted by BriggsARNP View Post
              What is the final word about pine? I have read a lot of places that it creates too much tar or something. I can find plenty of free pine but the applewood I that is around here generally is kinda pricey. I understand that there is a lot of pizza purism that dictates that hardwoods are the only choice but is pine a viable option?
              I have read that pine is definitely not suitable for smoking. I had a very dry piece given to me some while ago and I used it to dry out the oven after about 6 months of no use. It generated a lot of residue which coated the outside of my stainless steel flue. It took a lot of effort to remove it. Consequently, I won't use any of the conifers - pine being one of the most common here - along with cyprus.

Fortunately there is plenty of eucalyptus about so I can certainly ignore pine. If the supply of eucalyptus should dry up I would buy unprocessed wood - but wouldn't resort to using pine or any other commercially prepared woods. The "natural state" is the way I like to use it...
              / Rossco

Comment

I get a lot of pinus radiata (Monterrey pine) from off the building sites as all the frames are pine.

Its only good for heat up as it spits way too much for using while cooking, unless you like charcoal on the pizza that is.

Good ol Aussie hardwood barely ever spits.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

My father in law is getting a new fence this week so I am or will be the owner of his old fence. I'm not sure how long it is but I think it's about 80-100ft of hardwood.
                  It will take some time cutting it down to size and moving it but it'll be worth it.

Comment

This is why you need a 6' deep oven so you can just chuck the palings in.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Make sure you don't burn any wood that has been treated. I used to think that if it was hardwood then it would be untreated. Having kept all the trimmings from hardwood deckboards when I built my deck up to the pool, I checked and was informed that they, like most prepared timbers had been treated, so I binned rather than burnt them.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The best wood is free wood.

Since wood fired oven are less picky than wood stoves in what they burn, get out the word to friends and neighbors that you can use odds and ends of wood. Then build a good woodshed to season it in if necessary.
                        Last edited by Neil2; 05-30-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarA View Post
                          My father in law is getting a new fence this week so I am or will be the owner of his old fence. I'm not sure how long it is but I think it's about 80-100ft of hardwood.
                          It will take some time cutting it down to size and moving it but it'll be worth it.
                          Dear Oscar
                          Before you do any thing else check on the age of the fence? Here in QLD any hardwood used outside and particularly "in ground" had to be treated from 1984 on... Check the state laws in VIC. Ya never know your luck thats an lota hardwood to go to land fill. My supply to date...Part of an 80 yr old church...and the studs out of 2 small renovations in 50 yr old houses.
                          I supliment my supply with trimming from various places placed in a cooling oven after cooking to get it good and dry.
                          Have a small supply of pine on hand when lighting the oven... it catches real fast... but dont burn it after the good stuff catches alight ..spits and goes on..and smells too

Regards Dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hardwood fences arent treated here in Melbourne.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks guys, I was starting to think all that wood was potentially no good. Thanks Brickie and Doug for putting my mind at ease.

Comment

Working...
                              X