X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    LEFT OVER INGREDIENTS

(Cook the next day in a in a fully saturated oven at about 220 to 230c)

After doing a pizza night or one of my cooking classes I always seem to have left over toppings and dough.
    So here are a few ways to use those left over ingredients and dough.

Italian Type Calzone (loaf)

Pile left over toppings and a few fresh ones on a chopping board eg: baby spinach, basil leaves, olives, shredded tasty cheese or mozzarella, feta cheese, char grilled capsicum, bacon, oregano, etc. and roughly chop and mix with a knife.
    Combine a couple of dough balls together and stretch out to about 5mm thick then top with the chopped toppings, roll the dough up to form a loaf and place on baking paper then slash the top of the loaf deep enough to expose the fillings.
    Bake for 20 mins or an internal temp of 95c
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-12-2017, 04:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied
    When will you make an e-book?

Doug, I Have three or four expensive books on the subject of how and what to cook in a wood fired oven....None can hold a candle to diversity and inspiration of this thrtead. You MUST make an e-book! Brickie knows the ins and outs about doing it, give him a shout.

Have enjoyed this thread for a long, long time, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Char Grilled Quail

Butterfly quail wash and pat dry with kitchen towel.

Marinade:
    Roast fennel and coriander seeds in a frypan, then pound in a mortar and pestle add sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, 4 cloves of garlic, half red onion, 3 teaspoons of paprika, hand full of flat leaf parsley, juice of one lemon, small bunch of coriander leaves and 200 ml of olive oil blend together with the mortar and pestle to a rustic marinade.

Put quail in a container skin side down and spoon on the marinade and leave to rest in the fridge for an hour then turn quail over and spoon marinade over the skin and rest in the fridge for another hour.
    Remove quail from the fridge and let rest for half an hour before cooking.
    In the meantime get grill and hot plate going to a medium heat, place quail skin side up on the grill and cover with a baking dish, this will help to keep moisture and some of the smoke in, after 5 minutes turn quail over and place on oiled hot plate and cook for a further 5 minutes uncovered.
    Remove quail from the grill and let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.

To serve; steamed seasonal vegetables, pan fried gnocchi (in olive oil) drizzle vegetables with sage butter.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-12-2017, 02:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied
    Thanks Doug! I've always had about 180 deg of fire when I do pizza. I usually cook with no fire but what you are saying makes a lot of sense. Almost like having a knob.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-12-2017, 02:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Thanks Les

Temp was about 240c but it is not that important just cook until the tomato softens.
    Les, check my last post on http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/k...tml#post141763 in regards to fire placement
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-12-2017, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied
    Looks pretty damn good! Going to try the Stuffed Tomatoes for sure. What temp were you at?

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Butterflied Chicken with Sage Butter

Stuffed Tomatoes, Smoky Bacon and Asparagus and Savoury Parsnip, Rosemary and Parmesan Cake

Butterfly chicken wash and pat dry with kitchen towel wrap small pieces of butter in sage leaves and put under the skin of the breast and thighs (about 5 pieces) place chicken on rack and rub a little olive oil over the skin and season with salt and ground black pepper. Put in the oven and bake until the breast and thighs have an internal temp of 70c.
    Near the end I through some lemon murtle onto the hot coals for a more smoky flavour.

Stuffed Tomatoes slice the top off the tomatoes and using a spoon remove the juicy flesh.
    In a pan saut? half a diced onion in a little olive oil, add chopped bread / bread crumbs (place bread slices in oven on a rack to dry out for a few minutes then put through a food processor or simply chop them up on a chopping board) toss then add dried oregano and diced feta cheese toss again take off heat and let cool before filling the tomatoes and placing on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for about 15mins until tomatoes are starting to soften.

Dice smoky bacon and saut? in a pan with a little garlic butter or just olive oil just enough to get the bacon to colour then add the asparagus cover with lid or foil. Bake in the oven for a few minutes until the asparagus starts to soften.

Savoury parsnip rosemary and parmesan cake, make a cake batter (without sugar) add shredded parsnip rosemary salt (pound salt and rosemary in a mortar and pestle) and parmesan, cover the bottom of a baking dish with chopped bread / bread crumbs drizzle with olive oil then pour the mixture over the bread crumbs. Bake in an oven at about 200c for 45mins until golden brown.

Sage leaves in butter, heat some butter in a pan until it starts to turn golden then remove from heat and put in about 12 or so sage leaves, leave in pan to crisp up.

To serve cut chicken into pieces and dress with a couple of the sage leaves and drizzle with a little bit of the sage butter, serve the cake warm with some Onion Marmalade on the side. (My wife makes beautiful homemade onion marmalade)

Wine; Dry White

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Pogaca

Pogaca are Turkish savoury mini pastry/bread balls they are soft fluffy and delicious

Dough
    4 cups flour
    ? cup warm milk
    1 tbsp dry yeast
    ? cup vegetable oil
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    ? cup mineral water

Filling
    half bunch of parsley
    1 ? cup feta cheese

Coating for the top
    1 egg yolk
    dried dill

Mix sugar and yeast with milk.
    Combine all the dough ingredients including this milk mixture and mix them well. You can add a little more flour or mineral water if either of them is not enough. You should have a pliable and non sticky dough.
    Cover it with a moist cloth and let it rest for 45 min.
    Chop the parsley and mix it with cheese.
    Take a small piece from the dough and flatten it with your hands on the bench put a about a teaspoon of cheese mixture on it and close it up folding the edges to form a ball, do the same for the rest of the dough.
    Place the pogacas on baking paper on a baking tray, folded side of pogacas should be at the bottom.
    Brush each ball with a little egg wash and sprinkle with dill or poppy seeds

Bake until light golden in a fully saturated oven @ about 180c

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Peppered Eye Fillet of Beef and Scotch Fillet of Pork with Crispy Baked Potatoes

Eye fillet of beef and scotch fillet of pork brushed with olive oil and rolled in pepper & spices then cooked over hot coals in the oven with the door on.
    Putting the door on stops flare ups when the coals are still glowing.
    Cook until internal temp is 65c oven about 300c.
    Crisp baked potatoes par boiled drained and brushed with olive oil then baked in the oven until golden and crisp.
    Make red wine jus for the meat and sour cream with diced spring onions for the potatoes
    Serve with a dressed garden salad and goats cheese.

Wine; Brown Brothers Cabernet Sauvignon
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-12-2017, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Pineapple with Dutch Cinnamon Butter Pizza

Slice pineapple rings about 5mm thick pat dry and place in a frypan, saut? in butter and Dutch cinnamon just enough to colour.
    Arrange on prepared pizza dough and drizzle with the butter from the pan, cook a little less than normal pizza so that the dough is not crispy.
    Remove from oven and scatter with fresh mint leaves and dust with icing sugar.

Serve with a dollop or two of ice-cream
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-12-2017, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Thanks Camo,

Sorry but no book at the moment I am now concentrating on my WFO Workshop / Cooking Class I am booked out for the next 2 months.
    I have been asked so many times by my attendees at my classes do I build ovens, so I am working on a design for a hybrid vault style oven that includes the benifits of an igloo oven but much easier to build.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Focaccia

I made focaccia the other day, I followed the recipe from; Focaccia from Genoa ( focaccia alla genovese ) recipe - YouTube my first impression was way to much olive oil but after baking it turned out great our guests loved it, I served it as a side to pasta with slow cooked beef in a red wine and tomatoe sauce

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Artichoke, Brie and Thyme Pizza

Drain artichokes in a strainer and toss a few times to allow any oil or vinegar that the artichokes were preserved in to drain away.
    Cut your preferred brie into pieces about an inch in size and spread on prepared dough then place on diced artichokes of about the same size and sprinkle on freshly diced thyme.
    Cook as per normal pizza and enjoy.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-12-2017, 02:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Re: Whats Cooking at Karangi Kitchen

Christmas in August

We had a left over plum pudding last Christmas so I put it in the freezer thinking we would do a Christmas in July but time went buy and we missed July so we had it last Saturday.

Entre; Freshly Shucked Oysters
    Main; Roast Lamb and Pork, baked Parsnip, Pumpkin and Shallots with Steamed Asparagus served with a pear and sparkling white wine sauce.
    Desert; Plum Pudding flamed with Drambuie served with double cream

Leave a comment:

• Spinal
    replied
    Re: Whats Cooking at Karangi Kitchen

You really should consider collating all your recipes into a book...

More than happy to publish them for you after testing them

M.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X