Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes

Anyone know if/where Molino Caputo flours available in the smaller 1kg (?) packets in Sydney. I can purchase the big 25kg bags (from the guy that imports for the famous Pizza Marios) but how much pizza can you eat ? I got some from him once years ago and the dough was streets ahead of anything I've made since with the '00' flours (even those that say 'pizza' on them) you get at local delis, etc. Maybe if others are interested we can buy a 25kg bag (around $100 I think) and split up.

Also, for those interested you can buy San Marzano tinned tomatoes (D.O.P Granoro brand) from IGA in Haberfield and only about $1.50 a (400gm) tin. Bargain. Have purchased from Kirk foods before (another brand) but about (if I remember) $3 - $4 a tin. Found some 'Strianese' brand tomatoes (not San Marzano though) at the deli/supermarket right down and past the Bar Italia end of Norton St, and the tins are imported from 'Napoli Foods' in Marrickville, so I would think they import them and distribute Strianese San Marzanos (I have emailed and awaiting a response).

Anyone else have any thing to add ?

Re: Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes

Doug
    Yes I agree with you I've made my dough with "00" or breadflour with plain white flour about a 50/50 mix. "00" by itself is a little too chewwy,Breadflour a little heavy but mixed works well.....I know this as there are rarely any pizza crusts left by the guests unless I burn them....

Regards Dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Nick, I still haven't found any in that size. These guys Lario International | Fine quality artisan foods
      sell it for $140 for 25kg. If you can get it for $100 then I might take the plunge. I just have to try it once to see if there is a difference. Are you able to divulge where to find this person who imports it for Pizza Mario?

Also, do Pizza Mario use Caputo flour? Lucios in Darlinghurst (brilliant pizzas) uses Gem of the West Bakers Flour http://www.manildra.com.au/wpdata/163.pdf. When I was there last I asked him what flour he uses and he showed me the Gem Of the West bag under the counter. He might have been throwing me off track as he probably gets asked that question all the time.

I went and bought the Gem Of The West and got pretty good results. You might want to try it.

Thanks for the info on the tomatoes in Haberfield.

Comment

Frasu,

Pizza Marios definitely use Caputo flour, and they actually buy it from Lario's. I went to see the guy from Lario's a couple of years back at his little place in Alexandria, and he gave me some from an open/damaged back to take home and try. Back then it was a little less than $100/25kg back but perhaps it was 'discovered' by others and he upped the price to make a quid. Disappointing that someone does not seem to import the smaller bags but i suppose the market may just not be there. i will try the Gem of The West flour - thanks.

Comment

Molino is low protein and not suitable for good pizza. Coles has Colavita 00 with 11-12 protein. A number of people have posted good results with it and it worked well for me too. Bit too pricey though and I only use Superb Baker' Flour these days.
          / Rossco

Comment

Sounds good Doug ... do you have some pics available?
            / Rossco

Comment

The thing about taking pics of pizza.....somone is more likely to eat your evidence!!!

regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
                Nick,
                I said in post #2 Woolies sell ''00'' flour I was not sure what brand, but I was in Woolies today in Coffs Harbour and they have Molino ''00'' flour in 1kg packs for $2.99 each.
                I am sure that they would have it in Sydney.
                Hey Doug

Just across the road from Woolies in Coffs is a very good deli/cafe called Pansabella. They sell an amazing selection of cheeses and cured meats (Jamon Iberico etc) and make good coffee. It is my wife's, cousin's shop.
                Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

The Australians and the Italians use different terms to describe their flours, which can lead to confusion. Here in Australia we?re used to seeing gluten content expressed as a % on flour packs, the Italians however, don?t communicate gluten levels, they use Tipo 0 and Tipo 00 to describe how finely the flour is milled. Importantly the gluten levels in Tipo 00 flour can range from 6% ? 12.5%. All to do with the difference in wheat grown in Europe vs Australia.

There is a common misunderstanding here in Australia that Tipo 00 is a pizza flour or at least suitable for making pizza dough. The Italians make several Tipo 00 flours; for pastry, 5% ? 7% gluten, for pasta and noodles, 9% ? 9.5% and pizzas 11.5% ? 12.5%. *IMPORTANT ? Most Tipo 00 flours here in Australia are for pasta and noodles, and do not have high enough gluten (or protein) levels for making great pizza dough.

So you may ask, why does pizza dough need high protein flour?

Well, great pizza dough comes from using a flour with a protein level of 12%. The high gluten level in the flour gives the dough a good elasticity and robustness. Gluten is the key to great pizza dough, it forms strands which bind together like a web during the mixing and kneading process. Air bubbles are trapped in this web and expand during cooking allowing the pizza dough to rise. During baking the stretched gluten becomes rigid as the moisture evaporates from the heat of the oven, and sets the pizza dough structure

Comment

Hi
                    Thanks for the great explanation thats certainly a lot clearer for me.
                    Is there any flour thats your favourite? and of course were do you get it?
                    I use a 50/50 mix of bread flour and GP flour cause it works well enough and is easy to get get hold of, but am always willing to try something new

Regards Dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

gp flour should be about 10.5 % protien your bread flour should be about 12% look for a strong bread flour over 12.5 %

Comment

Well said Emsoven....

Full report and availability see the link

Tipo ?OO? vs. Bread & Pizza Flour ? what?s the difference? ? Lighthouse Baking

I was lucky enough to obtain 75 kg of the Lighthouse "pizza" flour - works a treat....
                        U Dont Have 2 Have a Long Neck 2B1

Comment

I've also used a few packs of Lighthouse pizza flour and was surprised how good it was. Makes a lovely light silky dough which cooks and excellent crust.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Unbleached White Bread Flour. Guys in am looking for a high protein unbleached flour to try. Has any one tryed one and how was it.?

Comment

Hey emsoven

ever thought of "making your own"....

check http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/l...html#post99422

milling wheat is readily available from local "health" shops from scoop size up to 25 kg bags (I am on my second bag).
                              milling machines are readily available on the net from cheap thru to whatever you want to pay.
                              step outside the square and let the imagination run riot with different "recipes" for pizza dough and/or breads...

Cheers Doug
                              U Dont Have 2 Have a Long Neck 2B1

Comment

Working...
                              X