Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes

Applor

Well done btw. Surprised they sold it to you at wholesale price. Score.

Since you will not be finished for s while check best before date. The pack I bought had a best before off September this year. Took the advice from my thread and borrowed a vacuum food sealer. Bagged up a couple of kg packs last night I would suggest you do the same if you aren't using it for a while. Put it in the freezer.

I have also ordered some gluten free molino.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-27-2014, 04:59 AM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
      Will do.

Have ordered a 25kg bag of the the Molino Caputo tipo 00 pizzeria flour. Pick up tomorrow. Might try it Saturday night.

Here's the tip you cannot buy from the importer but give them a call they will give you a reseller in your area or someone that will be able to order. TI believe they distribute throughout Australia.

The bag I ordered will cost me $50 $2 per kg sounds pretty good got it from Lakes Fresh Food Market in Taylors Lakes which is west of Melbourne.

Finally a source in Australia for the flour they rave over OS. Basile started importing it only a few months back.

Here is the link - enjoy finally a source.
      Food importers and distributors, Italian food and wine | Basile Imports

VICTORIA - Head Office
      401 Dorset Road (PO Box 714)
      BAYSWATER VICTORIA 3153
      T 03 9762 9311 F 03 9762 9422

NEW SOUTH WALES
      17 Distribution Place
      SEVEN HILLS NSW 2147
      T 02 9624 7622 F 02 9624 8622

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
      6 Commerce Crescent
      POORAKA SA 5095
      T 08 8262 9700 F 08 8262 9777

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
      44 Resource Way
      MALAGA WA 6090
      T 08 9209 1266 F 08 9209 1277

QUEENSLAND
      Factory 7/18 Alexandra Place
      MURARRIE QLD 4172
      T 07 3890 1922 F 07 3890 1933
      hey applor

thought I would post the contact numbers here........i posted on my thread
      Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-27-2014, 04:59 AM.
      Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
        Applor

I have also ordered some gluten free molino.
        Good luck with the gluten free flour. When I tried it there was no way I could make dough with it that would hold the shape of a base. There's just nothing to hold it together. Anyone have any ideas what you can add to it apart from gluten?
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Xanthan and Guar gum are used to replace gluten in a lot of recipes. I made some pizza dough with a bulk gluten free bread mix I got from a speciality shop 'Nana's Pantry' and it worked ok.

This site has some information about how it works and leads to some gluten free pizza dough recipes etc. How to Use Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum in Gluten-Free Recipes

There are a number of gluten free flours such as rice and cornflour that are usually found in premix gluten free flour.

A recent article in the Wood Fired Blog would be of interest to gluten intolerant folk. It was just this week and examines the possibility that the rapid rise techniques and added gluten in commercial products might be adding to the problem. Worth a read.

At any rate, the commercial mix I used on my sister worked, she gave it the stamp of approval.
          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by applor View Post
            Hey guys just thought I would post an update in here as this topic is being discussed in another thread.

Oasiscdm has discovered a company that are now importing Molino Caputo flour to each state in Australia.
            Here is their website for contact details:
            Food importers and distributors, Italian food and wine | Basile Imports

Ring your state supplier to find out which retailer sells the flour. Basile are a wholesaler so they generally won't sell to you direct.
            Having said that, I am in Brisbane and enquired but they didn't really have any retailers as they are only selling direct to bakers/pizzerias at the moment.
            As a result they were willing to drop off a 25kg bag to me in Bris CBD as part of their delivery run.
            $42 for the 25kg delivered straight to me at work - absolute bargain!
            Looking forward to getting/using it, though my build is still a month or so away.
            Hi Guys, just wanted to add FYI. No point in bothering with Basile - Food importers and distributors, Italian food and wine | Basile Imports

They will only sell to Pizzerias and businesses in Sydney at least. They don't have any retailers buying it off them and therefore there is no where for us to buy it.

I rang them and asked if I could come by and pick up a 25kg bag and pay them cash. They wouldn't let me and told me to ring my local deli and tell them to order it in. I explained to them that they are the 3rd company is Sydney to be selling this flour and they were totally shocked. They thought they were the only ones. I told them there is a market if you can sell it at a reasonable price to all the pizza enthusiast at home.

I was surprised they didn't have a clue about the potential and that they didn't even know about competition.

Comment

Calll the Melbourne office it is the head office speak directly with them.. Ask them to point you too a deli that sells other of their products, then contact them to place an order. Just don't give up.

Guy in Brisbane had a bag delivered to his office. Copy that and send out to them. See Previous post in this thread
              Again don't give up. It's worth the hassle, seriously worth it.

Had some guests over on Saturday and they commented it was the best pizza they had ever eaten, that the crust was so much better than anything they have had previously.

Persistence eventuallygets results.
              Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-20-2014, 02:58 AM.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Good news for Sydney siders. Paesanella Food Emporium at 150 Marrickville Rd, Marrickville is open and basically a foodies heaven. It stocks Caputo flours, a fantastic deli, breads, etc, etc, etc. Good selection of oils, vinegars, groceries. Even selection of fruit & veg......Just great.....What (Inner West) Sydney has needed for a long time. Paesanella cheeses (obviously) available and everything at great prices. Convenient parking in the building. Highly recommended so check it out (apparently they are opening a cafe on ground level soon).

Comment

What are they doing the 25kg pizzeria flour for?
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Only have 1kg bags on shelf, few different sorts for $3.75 I think. Anyway try icnussa for 25kg bags. At $70/$75 would be great value.

Comment

At @ $3.00 + a kg someone is doing very nicely. I use it and agree that it is good (I mix it with stoneground wholemeal) and it makes great pizza. That is kg supermarket price.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Nick

If they have 1kf ask them to get you a price and if they source it from the info I provided above I paid 50, for the bag I bought.pizzeria is different to the other caputi flours. I've used 3 of them now. Same pizza using 3 flours. Pizzeria definitely my preferred.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Where you guys getting your Mutti sauce around Sydney?

Comment

Hi

Paesanella Food Emporium is open Sundays ( 7 to 2 ) and this weekend have 1kg buffalo mozzarella for $20. They also have Mutti sauce and San Marzano tomatoes. The Caputo flour is in the red and blue 1kg bags.

Good selection of other cheeses as well. Parking is available from the back alley.

Just around the corner from Faros seafood so that is a bonus.

BC

Comment

Finally finished off my 25kg bag of Caputo last week.
                              Rang Richard from Basile Imports from last time.
                              Not only did he remember me but was also very friendly and happy to hook me up with another bag - though he was unhappy to say the flour now costs $44 instead of $40.
                              Still a bargain lol.
                              What a champ!

As for SM tomatoes, I don't bother with them. You can buy them from Woolworths but I can't really taste an improvement over regular Italian tomatoes and yet cost 3x as much.

Can't skip the Buffalo Mozzarella though. I prefer to buy from Pennisi at the Gabba for $40/kilo but our local woolworths also sell Buffalo Mozz but at a far less appealing price of $69/kilo.
                              $20/kilo for Buff Mozz is a steal!

Comment

Is there just the one type of Caputo 00? I've got some that I think we get at Harris Farm and use it for pasta. Made some earlier and it's just drying ready for tonight's dinner. Really good results. Everyone loves whatever I make with it.

But haven't tried it for pizza. If it's the same one I may give it a go this weekend if I can find out what type of yeast to use. No point in waiting until the oven is built to start working out the best way to prepare what goes in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X