Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canberra - my first oven, help

Hi all,

i have finally laid my concrete slab down and now am figuring about what the best design would be. i am keen on the dome style, i have plenty of old canberra red's. They are solid clay and from an old fireplace chimney. The plan was to use these as the Dome and use firebricks as the floor.

how many fire bricks required to build a 39" or 42" oven for the floor, or how many if i was to go the whole hog and use firebricks for both dome and floor?

does anyone have any good suppliers for materials within Canberra or nearby?

ta

trev

Re: Canberra - my first oven, help

Dear Trev

Pulled out my old forno plans......
    42 in (1mtr 70mm) dome req 65 bricks for the cooking floor and a further 135 for the dome
    36 in (870mm) req 60 firebricks for the cooking floor and a further 120 bricks for the dome
    From memory i used 160 odd firebricks for floor and dome I did not use firebrick for the entrance way and chimney which was were I save on bricks.
    You really should go to the forno shop and download a copy of the forno plans for Free its all in there and more. I printed out a hard copy and stapled it into sections so I could study each section as I went

Regards Dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dave,

I will download and print out the plans. Will post piccies when i start building this beast

trev

Comment

Hi Trev,
        and welcome aboard.
        I bought 200 second hand firebricks for my 40" Pompeii and had around 40 left over which I on-sold.
        Just do a smash test of your proposed Canberra Reds, they should break cleanly into several pieces when hit hard with a substantial hammer, eg. a brickies mash or medium sledge hammer. If the bricks break and crumble, then give them a miss as they will spall with the heating/cooling. Select, the darker burnt bricks that were closer to the fire when higher fired "clinker bricks". Internal house wall bricks are generally the least fired, least durable bricks that are protected from the elements when used on internal walls.
        Good luck.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

i bulit one in canberra what are u trying to find?

Comment

all good thanks, but for interest sack where did you source mortars and bricks?

Comment

We bought fire bricks from amber in Fyshwick they were $4.00 a peice from memory and my dad found the fire clay for the home brew mortar I think he got it from piallago or a pottery shop $50 bucks a bag bought 2 used one.

Comment

Try Bunnings for fire clay I got two bags for around $12 each from memory.
                Not all Bunnings sell it so if your local one doesn't ask them to search for the nearest one that stocks it. I have 2 Bunnings near me and none had it but the Hawthorn store 7ks away did.

Comment

Be careful, if it is the Cement Australia Bricklayers Clay (fire clay) it is not a refractory clay. I have contacted them to complain about this mislabeling and all they would tell me is that it is not suitable as a refractory clay. Try to source real fireclay.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

That's good to know I was actually trying to get my hands on some Cement Australia fireclay when I needed it but couldn't find it, lucky me.
                    The Bunnings one is made by Unimin Australia and has fireclay in large letterers on it. It's in a brown 20kg bag and the clay is brown in color, hopefully that's ok.

Comment

Yes that sounds like it is true fire clay. The problem is that fireclay has been traditionally used by bricklayers to improve the consistency of their mortars. Cement Australia have developed a product for this and continue to (incorrectly) label it as fireclay.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                        been traditionally used by bricklayers to improve the consistency of their mortars.
                        News to me?
                        Never heard of it, mind you Ive only done 30 odd years in the trade.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                          News to me?
                          Never heard of it, mind you Ive only done 30 odd years in the trade.
                          My apologies, I should have said "some bricklayers". Most sands contain a small quantity of clay naturally and will make a good workable mix, but some do not and require some "improvement". Lime is also sometimes used to achieve more workability.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                            Lime is also sometimes used to achieve more workability.
                            Thanks for the tip.....

Lime should always be used as it helps with autogenous healing of fine cracks in mortar joints.
                            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Al, do you also regularly use plasticiser?

Comment

Working...
                              X