Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tandoor

Hi,
    I am in the process of building a 42 inch oven, I am currently up to base level and need to backfill around this before proceeding.

However in the meantime I have diverged and have put together a tandoor in a 44 gallon drum (200 litre oil drum).

The liner was the expensive bit, it is a fired clay liner from a potter in Sydney.
    I thought the price a bit steep until I realised what had gone into it, after which I came to the conclusion that the worker is worth his (in this case her) hire.

I put an angle iron base in the drum 1/3 up from the bottom, laid sheet metal on this, 4 inches of vermiculite/ciment fondu and then a firebrick base.

draught is via a 4 inch rhs tube into the centre with a bodgie sort of grate.

Insulation via 30 mm (I really must either metricate or perish!) of kaowool and then filled with loose vermiculite with a vermiculite/ciment fondue layer about 1 inch thick to complete the top.

The thing works like a dream!!!!!!

Half an hour on good charcoal and the wall temps are showing 800 deg. F on my point and shoot thermometer.

Pieces of chicken cook in about one stubbie (12 minutes for the first one)
    on skewers and naan (Madhur Jaffrey recipe) are almost instant.

Beware if you have a Burmese cat! There is something in the chicken or Colleen's marinade that means you have to guard your chicken with your life!

Re: Tandoor

Pictures would be entertaining....Especially of your Ninja cat
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Have you tried slapping bread on the liner.

Would be interested to see how that goes. Would love to try this in WFO, just have to get some longer gloves..... I would like to know if it is any different than just lay it on the hearth.

Good luck with it all....

Marcus

Comment

I did try the bread thing, but it just fell off and landed in the fire.....
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi
          naan bread works well slapped on the liner, I use mahadur jaffrey's recipe and apply with a damp tea towel padded on a welding glove. I do lose the odd one.
          You need a rod with a right angle hook on the end to retrieve and I use an old steel rule as a scraper. You learn to be deft or scorched !
          oven is at about 600 degrees F. but I am still learning, chicken on 6mm skewers cooks to bloody perfection. I use a yogurt based marinade with a spice mix from an asian deli.
          Dave

Comment

Sounds like a neat oven, David! Enjoy! and Keep us informed....but do share pics!

Thanks!
            Jay

Comment

Working...
            X