Bacterium's 2nd build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Fought the rain and got my flue in last night..it was getting late but I went for broke and did a small paper and cardboard fire to celebrate..........wife was laughing.......but I was stoked!!!!!!

Ugghh smartphone won't let me load the pic...
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

2nd fire tonight.....pic is of fire last night
      Cheers
      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

On the home stretch, nothing like a fire to know you are almost there.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Great stuff Damon, get out the marsh mallows.
          Last edited by Wayne73; 05-14-2013, 02:45 PM.
          My build. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ton-18665.html

Comment

thanks guys.....

yeah the kids mentioned marshmallows, good idea.....think I better do it for next fire.
            Cheers
            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Great work Damo it looks really good!!

Congratulations on the first fire... I am not too far behind...

Comment

thanks guys...... Russell I remember when we were at a similar phase......then my progress dropped off completely.

here's pics of my flue install. The dektite (roof gasket/seal thingy) bottom edge pulled up about 100mm above the bottom of the corrugated sheet.... cool!!

Under the eave, typically the ceiling box (black bit) should be toward the top and there should be the stainless inner flue exposed for the first bit......but it would probably look odd with only 100-200mm (up to 8inches) of stainless flue showing

triple wall flues are really quite large....then again oven is technically a 45inch oven so meh.... least its a safe design!!!.....
                Cheers
                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Well done Damon.

nice photo's that is double skin isn't I am assuming 8/10", If this is the case your anchor plate only allowed for one skin how did you attach the second skin.

Hey damon - i'm organizing a quote for the flue Russell used from the UK. I'm guessing there wont be any change out of around $700-800 after delivery.
                  Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-17-2013, 03:46 AM.
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hi Damon, looking good. Whats the reason that the flue is so long? Is it for draw or somthing else?

Comment

Guys it was cheaper to buy the kit and ditch what I didn't need.

Yes it's an 8 inch (205mm) inner stainless, then a 9.8inch(250mm) galv. then another 11inch (300mm) galv. on the outside.

The flue box (start of outer skin) just sits on top of the brick square, which the spigot plate sits inside.
                      The bottom of the flue box is a flat section, so inside this sits/starts the second skin
                      Then obviously the inner flue inside that.
                      Normally the flue box is only 300mm below ceiling but I took it all the way down as seeing only 200mm of stainless flue (inner) wouldn't look right.

Overall height puts it above my ridge line and into the breeze. Did my first full fire today and outer flue skin was still ambient......happy with that.

Managed to sneak in a couple pizzas and a cake later on. Without insulation it's understandably slow heat wise.

I managed to keep all the brick cutting slush/ dust which gets left in the brick saw tray. Was thinking of adding this to the dome to give it more thermal mass.
                      Do I just mix it (3) with sand(1), cement(1) and lime(1) or would I need fire clay as well?
                      Last edited by Bacterium; 05-19-2013, 04:43 AM. Reason: Flue skin added
                      Cheers
                      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I think some People use the brick dust as fire clay

Comment

Gudday
                          Fireclay is unfired so a different beastie. The fireclay or brickies clay is added to the mix to make it more user friendly ie sticks the the brick better you can sqish the brick a little without breaking the bond. Ground brick would be like adding more aggregate ie sand.
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Good points Wayne and Dave,
                            I screened my cuttings through a window screen. And as you say there were sand sized brick chips in the mix. But, there was still plenty of dust. I ended up replacing 1 part of the sand with 1 more part brick dust. That was for making the "home brew". Since Damon is wanting to add extra thermal mass, the larger particles would help add some aggregate for a refractory concrete. I did not do that so maybe someone else will step in for the right formula. I know that Tu did something like this. What about it Tu?. Any others?
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Ouch....
                              The crack fairy visited last night.....looks just hairline about halfway up at the back....but then it worked its way down to dome base.

O well doing a layer directly over the dome bricks might be a wise thing after all.
                              Cheers
                              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

that sux man! is the crack in th brick or the mortar?

Comment

Working...
                                X