Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Crack minimisation .......sounds like another oven mantra

Can someone enlighten me on the shiralite stuff pls.
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

If you research Shiralite I think you'll find that although it is classed as insulating it's pretty dense. That of course makes it stronger but less insulating. It is a fancier version of vermicrete or perlcrete and able to withstand much higher temperatures because it contains calcium aluminate cement.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Shirilite Is Commercial Product, Perlite Vermiculite, Refractory Cement Fire Clay.
        Just Add water.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
          Shirilite Is Commercial Product, Perlite Vermiculite, Refractory Cement Fire Clay.
          Just Add water.
          And some high temperature aggregate and fibres in the mix too IIRC.

Comment

If it one of them high temp refractory so called insulators then forget it, Ive used a similar product and its just useless.

Stick with vermiculite or cf blanket.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi guys

I have seen it [shiralite]in pics and examples and it looks ok to me Allan quite insulative and solid. Not like I have seen with vermiculate alone.

However I will be using it for previous reasons stated with a ceramic blankie over it.

Part of my reasoning to do this, instead of maybe having another thermal mass layer over it [the dome], is to simply create a lock or key to lock the dome in place and add a bit more insulation. A blanket CANNOT DO THAT but actually places a layer over the dome that allows greater movement of the dome bricks that are held together by a little mortar [that must be the weak point as cracks seem to occur predominantly in the mortar]. The blanket I assume can also be susceptible to compression occurring would possibly lose some insulative properties due to this.

I keep reading about expansion and contraction and with a single layer of dome bricks I just feel locking that in place with an outer shell [whether thermal mass or solid insulation layer] before the blanket cant hurt one bit. I'm no scientist or refractory expert but to me this makes perfect sense. Solid layer vs moveable blanket layer vs solid insulative layer around the dome sorry will go with either of the solid optins first every time. Must help a little with crack minimization also.

Just a theory but that's what I'm going to do.

If it fails then you can all tell me I told you so
              Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-28-2013, 04:52 AM.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post

I keep reading about expansion and contraction and with a single layer of dome bricks I just feel locking that in place with an outer shell before the blanket cant hurt one bit.
                It will still crack and so will the outer concrete shell.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yes I know it will but am hoping less so. proof of pudding will be in the firing
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,
                    I think your plan is ok for the reasons you stated, but if it were me I'd be firing the oven after a week of hopefully rainless weather after applying the Shiralite. It will take lots of water. After applying the blanket over the dried Siralite you might find the surface pretty bumpy with blanket folds and joins. A thin layer of the Shiralite or vermicrete will get it back to anice hemisphere again prior to rendering.

Good luck,
                    Dave

Comment

Sounds like a good plan David.

Sorry Damon I didn't intend hijacking your thread.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

No problem guys, keep going its highlighted things to consider.

I finished adding my extra layer on dome ( aggregate/sand/cement/lime +chicken wire). How long should I let it dry (as a minimum) before I redo curing fires (drive out moisture)?
                        Cheers
                        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

To the Ozzies,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there some high tension among you guys? I really hope not, but lately I feel that it has become a little hard edged. Maybe, I'm too sensitive. Just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
                            No problem guys, keep going its highlighted things to consider.

I finished adding my extra layer on dome ( aggregate/sand/cement/lime +chicken wire). How long should I let it dry (as a minimum) before I redo curing fires (drive out moisture)?
                            I like to leave it for a week, not for strength but to allow the water to escape, assuming the weather is fine. Tarp it if it looks like rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                              To the Ozzies,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there some high tension among you guys? I really hope not, but lately I feel that it has become a little hard edged. Maybe, I'm too sensitive. Just asking.
                              To which posts are you referring?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                                To the Ozzies,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there some among you guys? I really hope not, but lately I feel that it has become a little hard edged. Maybe, I'm too sensitive. Just asking.

Nope, Just Some Discussion About What Should Go Where To Prevent This And That, With A few Differing Views Here And There. All Good Information. Sometimes Debates Happen. But I Know I Got Some Good Info, LiKE Now I Expect My Oven To crack. So I Won't Be disappointed Now When It does
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X