Mash potato in Pizza base.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mash potato in Pizza base.

Hi everyone, I tried something a little different last time I made pizza and used mashed potato in the base. My brother in law has a friend who has a wood oven and always uses mash in his pizza bases. Apparently my pizza bases weren't to the same standard so my brother in law tells me. A few weeks ago I gave in and did a little research and sure enough it's quite common but I couldn't find a good recipe online so I made my own. I've done it twice now and this is what I have come up with, it's very basic so can be tweaked.

800 grams all purpose flour
    500 ml water (same water as used to boil the potatos)
    300 grams of mash potato (all i do is boil the potato and mash it with a fork nothing added)
    2 tsp yeast
    1 tsp salt

I found mixing the water and mash together first then adding it to the flour was easiest. Make sure mash and water have cooled down before adding to flour. I mix everything in well then lightly knead the dough for a few minutes. The dough is a little wet so make sure you flour the bench when kneading the dough and again when making the base. I might try a little less water next time to see how that goes. This recipe made about 6 small to medium pizzas. I found the pizza crust was crispier and tastier with the mash and I got the thumbs up from my brother in law so I finally have his seal of approval, not that I really cared anyway .
    Almost forgot it takes 2-3 hrs to rise so grease a large bowl, cover and let it rest. I make the dough then light the oven shortly after and find when the oven is ready so is the dough.
    I'm curious who else uses mash potato and what is your recipe.
    Last edited by OscarA; 07-10-2012, 04:51 PM.

Re: Mash potato in Pizza base.

We use the same sort of recipe, make into small patties and shallow fry, when cooked smother with butter.....yummo.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday Oscar
      Read you post this morning with interest. twigged something in my memory.
      I've rushed home tonight and trashed the house hunting for my aunties old town recipe book from the 70s... its got her potatoe bread recipe in it. From memory it had a starter made with flour, potato and yeast and the bread was flatter than a normal loaf. Hate it when you can't find something like that!
      Interested in that potato pizza dough might try some of your recipe if I can't find it and also use some of it to make a potato bread loaf... from memory its cooked in a cake tin and dimpled a little like a focasia? anyway I'm away this weekend so it will have to be a little later

Regards Dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Al small patties sounds nice I might have to give that a try.

Dave give the recipe a try I was impressed with the result and will be making my dough this way from now on. It takes a little more time but is well worth it and everyone loved it.

Comment

Gudday Oscar
          Tried you potato dough out the other weekend and l used of course pizza flour...yes it was a good dough crisp on the outer and very tasty.
          But then I tried it with General purpose flour Wow.....that was different!....thats when it reallly comes into its own!
          I was at a mates place and he got the flour... so you use what you have to in the bush.. to far into town. I have used GP flour in the past but it makes to soft a base really to make a good pizza.
          We were only cooking on a pizza stone in a gas oven but the pizza bases were great ...crisp on the outside.... soft insides and held there shape well.
          The taste was really really good
          Recipe used

1000gm flour GP
          650 ml water
          2 med potatos cooled and mashed ( some water added )
          1 tsp dry yeast

It was put through the dough cycle of a bread maker and rested for about 3 hrs.... made fom memory about 9 or 10 X 200 gm (roughly) dough balls.
          The dough handled some rought treatment from being rolled out with a glass bottle to being spun in the air by a x- pizza bloke. Stood up to some pretty big topping loads as well. Everybody loved the pizzas and loved the flavour.

Thanks for he tip Oscar....you made it a great night!
          Regards Dave
          Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM.
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Doug and Dave glad both of you liked it and thanks for posting your recipes.
            I think I will make pizza dough with mash from now on and will try both of your recipes.

Comment

Working...
            X