Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Fire Danger S/E QLD

Gudday
    Tomorrow is a high fire danger for the south east Qld area and the central west. It sounds crazy with winter not yet over I know but this is the fire danger period here in QLD.
    Summmers are hot and humid great for growing things but not for bushfires. Winters are cool but very dry with little humidity and little or no rain. We have not had rain now for 28 days and things are drying out fast. Tommorrow we are due 50 knot dry winds out of the west / nth west the temps due to be 27 C (80 F) with the dry growth left from a wet autum its to be a dangerous day. There is already extensive grass fires out west and the wind will only make them worse.
    I know my WFO is enclosed and safe but I don't think anyone will like the smell of smoke at the moment so I'll just take it easy over the next month.

Regards Dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Re: High Fire Danger S/E QLD

Yeah Dave, sounds the opposite down south here in Adelaide......rain....wind and more rain. Think I'll leave dome building and stay inside with a glass of red and leave the beer consumption up to you.
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

The rain in SA is helping me fill our new pool, which is in the same area as our new WFO!

What is the status of WFO during fire season in SA? are there any restrictions? I would be of the same view as you Dave. If it is a high fire day I would not want to us the WFO just in case and to not scare the neighbours!

Comment

Hi Chaz,

WFO's are able to be used during the Fire season in SA, provided it is not a total fire ban day. The oven etc needs to conform to the CFS guidelines, ie distance from house etc. Have a look on the CFS website, and look at the guidelines. Go to www.cfs.sa.gov.au. There is handy information there, which should help you.

I am taking extra precaution with my build by including a spark arrestor cap on the end of the flue. Probably overkill, given the design of the oven, but I feel better about minimizing risk.

Smoke appearing in the hills during summer in Adelaide does have the potential to cause a visit by the local lads from the CFS. Guess I better make a good pizza!!

Cheers Craig
        "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
        The Pirate Captain

Comment

Thanks Craig

Had a read of the CFS guidelines. Pretty clear info.

I'm at Angle Vale so dont have as much vegetation as you would have in the hills. I haven't placed a spark arrestor for that reason so hopefully ok.

Comment

Is there any equivalent guidelines or laws for WFO's in suburban Brisbane, Qld?

Originally posted by BOOMERS WFO View Post
            Hi Chaz,

WFO's are able to be used during the Fire season in SA, provided it is not a total fire ban day. The oven etc needs to conform to the CFS guidelines, ie distance from house etc. Have a look on the CFS website, and look at the guidelines. Go to www.cfs.sa.gov.au. There is handy information there, which should help you.

I am taking extra precaution with my build by including a spark arrestor cap on the end of the flue. Probably overkill, given the design of the oven, but I feel better about minimizing risk.

Smoke appearing in the hills during summer in Adelaide does have the potential to cause a visit by the local lads from the CFS. Guess I better make a good pizza!!

Cheers Craig

Comment

Gudday Harrro
              (quote)Is there any equivalent guidelines or laws for WFO's in suburban Brisbane, Qld?(quote)
              Sorry Ive no confirming reference for you as I called the local fire station and asked verbally whilst planning to build my oven 2 yrs ago.
              The fireman was very suprised by a WFO and it was hard for him to imagine the fire was built in the oven itself. He said it probably the same as a wood fired BBQ and could not be used on days of total fire ban of course. He also advised me to build away from the house ( the distance I can't remember but I'm well over it). He also said to be mindfull of the vegetation around the WFO. All pretty much common sense stuff.
              The advantage we have in Brisbane is the "fire danger period" for us is the end of winter early spring by the time the summer comes along we have had some storms and have high humidity and low fire danger.
              I would talk to as many folk around you as you can so they are prepared for the smell of wood smoke. Wood fired ovens by the way only give off visible really smoke as you first light them, as they warm ...no visible smoke.

Regards Dave
              Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-02-2012, 02:54 AM. Reason: speeling
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

Thanks Dave for the very useful information.
                i'm halfway through my build, but its not a wood fired domed oven, more a wood fired bbq (parrilla) with a little oven above the fire as well. I didn't consult the fire service or council as its pretty hard to explain so not worth the hassle in my opinion. Of course i did use common sense and placed it well clear of the house and surrounding vegetation etc. It will have a flue/cowl to about 4.5m above ground level and isn't too close to any neighbours houses but will still be a good idea to warn them about the smoke as you said.

Comment

Gudday Harro
                  Send the neighbours food from your BBQ then they will always think of good things when they smell smoke

Regards Dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

Ok, this is still not for Brisvegas but maybe worth a read, particularly for us crow eaters

http://www.light.sa.gov.au/webdata/r...izza_Ovens.pdf

I'm on the outer fringe of suburbs adjacent the hills so will put in an arrestor to cover me bases
                    Cheers
                    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
                      Ok, this is still not for Brisvegas but maybe worth a read, particularly for us crow eaters

http://www.light.sa.gov.au/webdata/r...izza_Ovens.pdf

I'm on the outer fringe of suburbs adjacent the hills so will put in an arrestor to cover me bases
                      I just read the COP for wood ovens, obviously the person who wrote that knows nothing about wood ovens and how they operate.

I wouldnt want anyone spraying water into my hot oven with a hose that is "suitably at hand" the damage to the oven and hose operator would be awful.

No alcohol impaired person to operate, there goes the pizza parties.

Nothing flammable within 4M, front and above, well there goes the patio roof.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

It all depends on how you interpret it.

Suitably at hand is really if something came out of it that had to be extinguished. Eg. The wood pops out a stray ember towards start up.

Alcohol impaired... Typical cover all, but I tend to "pace" myself..... a pi$$ d chef is no good.

The 4metre rule doesn't take into account enclosed ovens or those within the confines of a structure like a pergola/alfresco/enclosed entertaining area.

Agree its poorly written.....but if you are ahead of the game and demonstrate competence it proves your not negligent
                        Cheers
                        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

And now for my less serious answer
                          Maybe it was written by someone who never has let go of a ripper in the bath
                          Cheers
                          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                          X