Yes! Another oven build in Adelaide..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes! Another oven build in Adelaide..

Hi all! Ive been wanting to build an oven for about 5 years, maybe longer, but been putting it to the back burner at every turn because of other projects and generally life getting in the way. Anyway being from an Italian family the wood oven has always been a permanent fixture in the backyard since I have been born and with that came a monthly tradition of pizza and bread making that would last for the month. As I grew up as a kid i knew of square bread but never ate it and at school was looked upon wierdly as I bit into roughly cut thickly crusted bread filled with home made cappacollo, pancetta or prosciutto with provelone cheese, iceberg lettuce leaf(never cut into shape) and tomato wrapped up and put into the old plastic bag that was recycled from the thusday night shopping(remember back in the day when shops only opened late on thursdays, closed on public holidays and sundays) because the bread wouldn't fit in that little square lunch box that everyone else had! how have times changed as now the stuff i take for granted now people are willing to pay premium dollar for. Anyway now that I have my own family I've thought why should my boy miss out on the things that I grew up with as the wood oven was always a family event that brings everyone together.
    Now in saying that I am looking at building a similar oven in my yard. The internal dimension will be 1100 to 1200mm built on a base of 2 by 2 meters made out of besser blocks with a couple of internal walls for added support of the floating slab that will be poured with mesh made out of rebar tied together that a good mate has donated to the cause as he had left overs from an extension he did a while ago. Now im trying to figure out which way to go with the materials for the dome and floor insulation. My Dad told me(before his rest) he used washed sand for subfloor insulation and the bricks from little hampton when the were located at the brickworks(floor and dome) then built walls around the dome and filled it with more washed sand and roofed it. 40+ years later that oven still stands with no cracks/problems(except when you try to burn wet prunnigs and someone rings the MFS to discover 2 trucks appear lights blazing and a fireman scales the fence to see me and my mum trying to control the smoke comming out of the oven!). Now i'm just wondering what would be the best way to go as now there are new materials etc. what would be best to use for sub floor insulation and what fire brick? as today i've been advised not to use the little hampton brick as it is not a fire brick and i'll waste too much wood etc, etc.. I guess this is the first stumbling block of many!

Re: Yes! Another oven build in Adelaide..

Great to have another Adelaidian WFO.

I am in the process of finishing my oven, doing the dome insulation a the moment. Have done five pizza firings and things just get better each time.

I used Littlehampton Fire bricks for the floor and dome. They often have seconds available which keeps the cost down.

Have a look through recent posts in the Australian Forum as there are a number of locals who have posted a variety of suppliers.

Good Luck

Cheers

Craig
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
    The Pirate Captain

Comment

Gudday
      I read you post with interest....yes you have heaps of passion...thats great! you'll be an oven builder for sure.
      Yes things have changed a bit since you father built his oven there are better products and materials.
      Sand will not cut it these days better insulation product and methods are used. Firebricks are the prefered brick to build with...but the beggars are damn expensive. Go to a brick yard and pick one up you will know instantly why, they are heavy real heavy and when you consider this is your bank where you store your heat you'll wan't the best. Again expensive shits and if its the difference between building an oven or not I would use the pressed commons/pressed clay pavers.
      Anyway go to the store on the forno site put a FREE copy of the plans in the shopping basket and they will send a pdf copy by email.
      Have a good read you'll find it has more info than you can obsorb in one sitting. Hit the site again and check out more

Remember insulate insulate insulate

Regards Dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi

I used old red pressed clay bricks from a house that was demolished and these seem the same as the Hallet bricks, mine have been in use for 3 years with no probs

Cheers Mike

Highbury
        Adelaide

Comment

Oops meant Littlehampton not Hallet

Comment

EKIMYRF and BackToMyRoots,
            welcome both new members.
            It is always great to see Adelaidians coming in on board, keeping a record of all Aussie members and we seem to be leading the other states.
            Check out my build as it is well documented with suppliers and photos.When I build the next oven, I will be using pressed red solid pavers, probably Littlehampton @ .80C each as they are fired at 1200˚C, well over double the temp that you will ever get your oven to. Poor man's mortar is the best and cheapest (in my opinion) as I have had no problems and never heard of anyone else experiencing problems.

Cheers.

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Gudday Neill
              I'm in the process of building a mate an oven....and we plan to use pressed clay pavers. The hearth however pavers? a double layer of pavers....or firebrick? I have 17 firebricks or so left over from my build, add another say 20or so it should give a hearth for a 25 inch build.
              Any input would be great, it seems the SA builders have the edge on these builds

Thanks
              Dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

Well I thought I'd get busy and start the base as I am going over dads finished product I thought I would change things a bit for myself considering my skills are no where near his was. For starters he used common house bricks and did it double brick (2 x 2 m) with no internal walls for support. As it fits alot of wood i remember crapping myself retrieving wood from the back corners because of the creepy crawlies but it does double as a choock pen or quail pen on occassion. I've opted for the stock standard besser blocks as said before because of ease and arranged an internal walling that only expands 600mm from wall to wall either way so i have 3 seperate stores. Got myself the rebar for core filling the blocks and the the floating slab. At this stage not real concerned about the finished level of the blocks as I will adjust the level and make it plumb when i box it up for the floating slab. This is also because i figure the slab its sitting on(ground) has a fall that goes almost 3 directions and in the end I will either render it or slate clad it so no one would be the wiser. Anyway it was a busy weekend and the hot weather didn't help! I'll post pics once i've figured it out!

Comment

Hi Dave,
                  Russell Jeavons in his commercial ovens and the others that he built for wineries and friends all had 2" clay paver hearths, all be it double layer so they can be easily replaced if needed.
                  Unless you have sufficient firebricks, I would and will us the pavers but the full 3" thick ones for my next hearth as the firebricks are way too expensive in these installations for what advantages they provide when compared to the fired clay pavers. I have been to his pizza restaurant before he sold it and checked them out very carefully, spending some time discussing it with his son. There are references made in Russell's Pizza Restaurant posting within the forum and pictures of the main restaurant oven.
                  Go for it!

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Well I still can't get the photo's to upload, maybe to big of a file and don't know how to shrink them. Anyway i've finished the stand, which i made out of besser blocks that is 2x2 m and 4 blocks high. I also put in internal walls so that there is no span more than 600 wide resulting in three seperate wood stores or 2 wood stores and one for the tools(peel, rake, mop, etc). I have also finished the concrete hearth. I put rebar in each corner and third cavity of the besser blocks and filled with concrete. Boy the boxing up took a while to get the boards level at a hieght that would give me 110mm floating slab. Again cut the rebar to length minus 50mm (so it is incased in the concrete and not sticking out) and layed it out in a mesh pattern. Tied it all up and propped it up off of the floor. I used a mixer that I borrowed off of a mate. Unfortunately he couldn't lend a hand so I did this solo. I did this by mixing a batch, then wheelbarrow, shovel it in from a corner, shake the mesh to make sure the concrete goes where it needs to go and level it with a straight edge using the boxed sides as a guide. Then repeat, again and again. I have been feeling like a true Italian watering the concrete every day to help it cure properly Now time to start on the oven. Question for anyone that knows. I'm going to mix the poor mans mortar, how much fireclay does one need for a 1200 oven? Anyone?

Comment

Well I still can't get the photo's to upload, maybe to big of a file and don't know how to shrink them.
                      Do you have "Photoshop" or a similar software package on your computer?
                      If so, load your pictures and under IMAGE, select IMAGE SIZE and reduce the dimension to suit your require viewing size. Too little and you have over done it so I reduce them to around 40cm wide. It will automatically reduce the image and you can then enlarge it to see it at your preferred choice. Under FILE, then select SAVE FOR WEB & DEVICES which will reduce the file size to be most economical. I usually rename the file with -web to easily identify it or inclusion in your posting.
                      Then go up directly above your 'Advanced reply' and click on the paperclip. Just follow the instructions and when you click "Submit Reply" your pictures will automatically go with your posting.

how much fireclay does one need for a 1200 oven?
                      A 25kg bag will be all you need. I used less than a bag for a 1000mm oven.

Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                      Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                        Do you have "Photoshop" or a similar software package on your computer?
                        If so, load your pictures and under IMAGE, select IMAGE SIZE and reduce the dimension to suit your require viewing size. Too little and you have over done it so I reduce them to around 40cm wide. It will automatically reduce the image and you can then enlarge it to see it at your preferred choice. Under FILE, then select SAVE FOR WEB & DEVICES which will reduce the file size to be most economical. I usually rename the file with -web to easily identify it or inclusion in your posting.
                        Then go up directly above your 'Advanced reply' and click on the paperclip. Just follow the instructions and when you click "Submit Reply" your pictures will automatically go with your posting.

Or.....
                        you could use pixresizer.........so much easier.
                        PIXresizer - Download
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday
                          About 15 kg out of a 20 kg bag. Like yourself I did the wfo oven constructio by myself. So I did small mixes in 20 ltr bucket using a paint mixer on a power drill.
                          There's no waste this way and you could stop anytime you want and go onto cutting more brick without wording about you mortar going off. I found fine washed sand to work the best ( brought by the 10 kg as "suitable for kids play pits and gape filling pavers). The fireclay is "must" it gives you a very plastic workable mortar which allows a good result for the first time bricklayer. I had a couple of friends who have said the same.

Regards dave

Regards Dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick replies! I'll play around with the photos. So i guess 50kg of fireclay is a bit of an overkill? Doesn't matter it cost me less than some places wanted to charge for just 20kg so im way out in front.

Comment

BackToMyRoots google irfanview and downlload its an easy way to shrink photos

IrfanView - CNET Download.com

Cheers Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X