X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 40" Corner oven in Manor Lakes - West Melbourne

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Hi

Did you check out Council re Oven builds?
    Had a couple of post on my thread.

Cheers
    Yeah I gave them an anonymous call and asked. The guy who answered had no idea but put me through to one of the engineers. They said there was no proplem at all with building one and a permit was not required. Just make sure your not building over easements etc.

Dan

Comment

Thanks for that and nice to know.

If i remember from some years ago when i built a brick shed i built it over an easement. I was made to put in a 1.5x1.5 mt person hole [if thats politically correct] in the slab that could be dug up.

For my build i dont have a choice [position]. But i believe it is all easily accessible.

Cheers Colin
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Well, after much thinking about continuing or smashing it to the ground I decided to continue. Had a very busy patch in the life at the moment and the oven went on the back burner unfortunately. I have since bought a saw and started progressing. All going well so far and I can visualize the final product already...

One question, on the arch pics you can see a small 'v' drawn onto the pillar blocks. To allow the arch something transfer load onto, should a cut this 'v' out to allow the end arch brick something positive to lock into? It would be pretty easy to do. Or Just sit it on top with a brick fillet mortared into each side?

Thanks for looking and if you can see any fatal flaws please let me know!!

Thanks again, Dan

Comment

Your arch profile is 25mm to high, thats why you have that funny little triangle in the corner.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Dan

Long time no hear. Thought you'd be finished long time back. At this rate you will still beat me finishing your oven.

Ok from the look of it you aren't going to taper your arch?

I agree with Brickie take the 25mm off the arch or lay a split as the first course of the arch so it lifts to get rid of that triangle.

Also be careful with the IT yours is not adjustable and it does not seem to be centered [equal distance between top of brick and bottom of brick] on the brick. Deejayoh speaks about this here. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/28/h...ea-2573-3.html

page 23 I think it was.

Mine wasn't centered but I did not build a hemispeherical arch I assume since you are using a fixed length that you are. You will find that the bricks will not line up internally and will be set back/forward [not sure which] by up to 5 mm from what I noticed when I didn't adjust the IT between courses. Took me ages to figure that one out. That's why I ended you building a dome template to double check my adjustments.
            Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-15-2013, 01:32 AM.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi Dan

I came back to it and looked at photo with IT and your arch seems to far forward. The IT at the right angle needs to meet the back of the top of the arch. The angle may be misleading in the photo but it does not appear as though it will meet.

Does anyone else think that.

If it doesn't you will end up out of round. I think the guys here call it teardrop.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

So regarding the arch height, it is exactly on the 63% recomendation so I don't want to change that but I can modify the pillars supporting it? The attached image (showing off my microsoft paint prowess now....or not in this case) shows on the left how I think you are saying it should be and on the right is how I was planning it to be. My only reason for the right side version is so the arch has something positive to lock into, in my mind the one on the left can either slide down in the face of the pillar during fit, or with the weight of the chimney (not sure how this is going up yet) start to push the pillars away from themselves putting the mortar joint into a shear load. More that happy to stand corrected but the engineer in me can see one way structurally more sound than the other.

Regarding the arch placement being to far forward, the brick on the formwork are not the final bricks, they were just some taper brick off cuts to get an idea of how the arch will look but I take the point on board and will make sure the dome remains in constant contact through out for the final fit.

And on the IT, good point, I see what you mean regarding the centre point and will have a look at mine next time the covers are off and have a look at it.

Once again, thanks all for the input.

Dan

Comment

Dan

In the left picture I would put the split lower. This will allow you too do what you are wanting to do checking out the brick.

If you cut the brick as in the right picture then that will be perfect meeting your retirement to tie it in.
                  Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-15-2013, 03:56 PM.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

So I've been doing a bit of reading about laying wet bricks and the adverse affects to bond strength. Unfortunately this is after I soaked the bricks til the bubbles stopped (about 90secs) and layed the first course. I tried with them dry but to an amateur it was damn near impossible to get the brick to stick to each other as the mortar dried too quickly. And wet mortar was just a pain to use.

So, how bad is it to wet the brick before laying?? I would imagine there are tons of ovens around that were made using soaked bricks. I have found that it can reduce the bond strength to around 65%.

Can you dunk the brick for say 20 secs then lay it?

Comment

Dan

Found the same thing. Did the same thing. Then

I dunked count to 3 let sit a bit, spray the bricks on dome
                      Butter bricks and lay.
                      I used a wettish mortar stiff peeked cream consistency.

As I got to the top I used angle grinder to notch bricks Gianni idea, haven't used any support and bricks held fine.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by vanoontour View Post
                        So regarding the arch height, it is exactly on the 63% recomendation so I don't want to change that
                        So take some off the top corners of the arch profile and leave the top of the arch at 63%......
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hey Allan

That works too.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Hey All, A bit more work done this weekend. Think I finally have the arch figured out. Mortared the pillars in place and added another chain/course.

I will put another chain/course down and then put the arch up.

I modified my IT so it is now in the center of the brick, thanks for the heads up.

Cheers, Dan
                            Last edited by vanoontour; 10-05-2013, 07:45 PM. Reason: Photo added

Comment

HI Dan

Looking good Dan

I got some of my last course done today will post photos later tonight. Then the keystone after some art work. Then get stuck into the front vent.

Just be careful you remain on bond with the bricks I noticed some getting a little close. Have seen a few pictures on Forno where cracks will follow non bonded brickwork.

Nice work on the IT it looks spot on now.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Got another course of bricks done yesterday. Hopefully look at the arch this coming week.

How far do the joins have to be from each other to remain 'on bond'?? Some of mine are about 10-12mm?

Cheers, Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X