Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Christmas morning and the Pompeii is going

Hi all,
    Like Santa, I was up early to light the oven, a good fierce fire for just under an hour, (got the oven white inside), let the bricks soak up the heat, removed the coals and put in the 5.5kg stuffed turkey at 8.30am with a hearth and dome close to 340˚C. It has been cooking for just on an hour and time to put in the pork.
    The table is set, including the grand children's, the scene is set and the weather is a wonderful 15˚ to 26˚C.
    Just turned the turkey and put in the pork rib roast sitting here making the posting and can smell the turkey cooking, going to be a wonderful lunch with all the children and family present. open house this afternoon so will be a most enjoyable dy.
    Will post more pics as they come and time permits.
    Enjoy all and we wish you all the merriest Christmas day possible.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Re: It's Christmas morning and the Pompeii is going

It is now 8.30pm and the day almost over.
    The turkey was taken out 3 1/4 hours later after whilst the pork roasted for another 1/4 hour.
    I have never found a turkey nor chicken where the meat has literally fallen from the bones as this one did. The meat, juicy and as tender as you could wish, the pork, well very difficult (as with the turkey) was very difficult to carve with the sharpest of knives. In fact, the only part of the turkey that I could carve meat in slices was the breast meat, everything else literally fell off the bone.
    It was absolutely delicious and melted in the mouth. I was gobsmacked by the complements from most of the guests, my wife initially hesitant in my wanting to cook the bird in the oven and especially at the temperatures that I had told her. The only left overs were a few pieces of meat which were devoured for dinner.
    It only goes to show that we underestimate the capabilities of the pompeii and I will most certainly do more cooking in the future.
    The grandchildren were fed and were playing with some of their gifts when this attached photo was taken.

Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Nice!!! Merry Christmas

Comment

Warmer for christmas there, Looks like it was a great gathering, currently 10F outside but oven is fired up and 520F ready for bread to go in in a few minutes.

Chip
        Last edited by mrchipster; 12-25-2012, 05:52 PM.
        Chip

Comment

Hi Neill

Sounds very similar to our Christmas Day.

Started my fire about 6am, about 7.15 put in a 6.7kg turkey that I initially basted with melted butter, spices, salt & pepper. After an hour turned over and basted some more. Thereafter I used the juices in the tray which made the turkey very moist.

At around 10am put in a ham leg which I basted with a mixture of sherry, brown sugar and a jar of marmalade.

The feedback from the family ( we had about 25 at lunch) was very pleasing as this was my first attempt to feed so many. The proof was in not much was left over!

Also cooked some roast potatoes, other vegetables and a whole snapper.

My only regret is that I didn't take any pictures!

You have to love these ovens. Can't wait for the next get together!

Charlie.

Comment

Good one Charlie,
            My family and especially my wife were amazed as to how well it was cooked at those elevated temperatures when compared to conventional ovens.
            I also have used the Pompeii to cook and heat for over 60 guests at my inlaws 60th wedding anniversary. A load of hot food out on the table in minutes and some deep fried finger food to boot.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Hi Neill

Agree. I was worried about the higher temps but everything came out looking and tasting great. I just needed to watch everything a bit more and most probably basted the turkey and ham more often than you would normally in a conventional oven.

Cooking some pizzas tonight and will make sure I take some photos. Its a beautiful day in Adelaide. Might start my own "what I cooked in the WFO" thread. It will be good to look back at what I have cooked, what went well and what didn't!

Thank again Neill

Comment

Great Stuff guys Happy New Year

I am having my first party of the Holidays on Sat - Pizza for 25

My oven
                woodoven13 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Comment

Working...
                X