Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canberra 36" finally started

Hi to all!

So created the slab mid last year and then got busy with life but I'm now back and have had the courage to mortar the first course of blocks for my stand. At this stage they are square and level... hoping to do the rest of the blocks this weekend, dry stack and fill every other core with concrete.

Very new to this sort of (any sort of...) work but enjoying it a lot. still trying to source the materials for the oven and will be in melbourne start of Feb so may try to pick some stuff up there as it seems to be available and cheaper.

Cheers,

Tim

Re: Canberra 36" finally started

Welcome back Tim.

Looks like you picked a hot weekend Going to be a hot Summernats festival

The next bits not too bad to do in hot weather, lots of sweat and beer

The dry stacking is fairly quick and easy, though I did find some variations in size/shape of blocks, but wasn't too concerned about small gaps between blocks to make it fit square and level as they will be covered later with the render or other finish material.(and concrete filled)

Good luck.

Craig
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
    The Pirate Captain

Comment

Thanks Craig,

Yeah being my first time it's hard to know how much of a perfectionist to be. I've spent a lot of time reading and looking through the forum, as I would rather not have to pull it down and start again

How long ago did you build your oven? are you getting much use out of it?

I'm still trying to decide whether to go all firebrick or just firebrick for the cooking surface, cost difference is a few hundred dollars...

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Hi Tim,

Check out the fire brick ad in All Classifieds, under building materials, that was posted this week in Canberra. I am like you having poured the concrete base last Summer and started back up after Xmas last week. I finished laying the concrete block and poured the top slab on New Years day. Just waiting for it cure before moving onto the insulation hearth and building the oven.

Cheers

JP

Comment

Hey JP,

Congrats on getting back into it! Nice warm weather at the moment for oven building ! I was grinding the blocks for my stand the other day, the dust and heat were pretty extreme

Thanks for the heads up with the bricks. Do you what type they are? What are you going to do for your dome and cooking floor?

I'd love to see some pics of yours as you go if you've got some time to post them.

Cheers,

Tim.

Comment

Hi Tim,

Sorry didn't get back to you as we were in Canberra for Summernats. What a great time.

I put the slab down last January, with most of the dome done by mid year, though had to stop at around 8/9th row,as it got too cold for the mortar to set quickly. Finished dome in late Spring, and have done 6 - 8 pizza sessions. I have put insulating blanket on and started vermiculite insulating layer just before Xmas. Hoping to be ready to render in the next few weeks. Then make the door.

I opted for total fire brick construction in the dome and floor as I figured for the sake of a few dollars in the scheme of things the benefits of how I intended to use the oven for cooking was worth it. I wanted to get multiple days cooking from the one fire, to maximise the heat use, as we often have roasts and I make my own bread (and Beer!!!). I have used 50mm of insulating blanket with a further 2-3" of vermiculite.

I also was looking for long term use of the oven, as much as I want to build another oven to improve on what I've learnt, I plan on being in this house till I die!!! So the extra dollars (about $2 a brick difference, so under $300) did'nt seem to matter.

As the instructions state, you're better off keeping the good brick laying skill for the dome. I worked on the assumption, that if you can't see it and it is stucturally sound, who cares what it looks like!! You're the only one who will know

Good Luck

Craig
            "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
            The Pirate Captain

Comment

Hey Craig,

Hope you enjoyed the festivities at Summernats

I'm hoping that the Stand is structurally sound... Bricks in canberra are $4 for the full firebrick or I could go with the Canberra Reds for $1 a brick. I'd love to be able to do the full brick but costs are a factor... DO you know what some of the time/performance differences are between clay bricks and full firebricks?

I'm keen to do bread in the oven too (and a whole lot of other things), I make a fair bit in the oven already but I reckon it'll be heaps better in the brick oven. Also thinking I'd like to make some Jerky...

Good luck with the rendering, I'd love to see some pics if you have any

Cheers,

tim

Comment

Gudday mothy
                Which brick to go its always hard. If it were me with a new house and a young family I would spend my money on the insulation and use the Canberra reds. Lack of insulation is worse thing Pherhaps for peace of mind you could consider a hearth of firebrick and a dome of Canberra reds? I'm sure a lot of these ovens will outlive there owners they might get to 650c but the firebrick is build to handle prolonged use at 1000c plus

Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Tim,

A couple of images from my build.

Cheers,

JP

Comment

Thanks Dave.

Yeah still hoping I can afford some firebricks for the Hearth. Going to Melbourne in a couple of weeks and there are some they're for $2.75. Do people think I could bring 60 home in the boot of my xtrail?

Tim

Comment

Looking good JP! What size are you building? What did you use under the suspended slab? Any advice for that particular prices?

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by mothy View Post
                        Thanks Dave.

Yeah still hoping I can afford some firebricks for the Hearth. Going to Melbourne in a couple of weeks and there are some they're for $2.75. Do people think I could bring 60 home in the boot of my xtrail?

Tim
                        Gudday
                        Why don't you get the 50mm thick ones instead it will 1/2 the load. If you then need extra thermal mass lay them on a layer of 50mm pavers

Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave, I'll give that some thought.

Still need to do the slab for the Hearth. Looking at what I should use to support it. I like the idea of using the cement board that can be left in there. Any recommendations on what to use and where to get it from and how much it may cost me.

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Cant see why not. They weigh 3.8kg = 228kg for the 60 that was an arch brick i weighed, if straights i'm guessing 4-4.2kg.

Check your owner manual you may be able to get more in.
                            Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-26-2013, 02:55 AM.
                            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Thanks for the numbers Colin

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X