WFO cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WFO cover

Hi...I've finished my oven in November and it works a treat....cooked chicken, mussels and chorizo in beer, bread and of course pizza!
    My oven is in my backyard in Adelaide exposed to the elements. With winter coming up it's been suggested I cover the oven. I don't want to do anything permenant so I was toying with the idea of using tarp or thick plastic, cut into triangles and sewn together to go over the dome, with flaps attached with velcro somehow to go around the flue.
    Has anyone covered their WFO? If so how?
    Are there any issues/problems I need to avoid?

Any help/suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Ta. Inu

Oh have enclosed some pics.

Re: WFO cover

If you have aplastic cover it will keep water in as well as keeping it out. Most oven owners have their ovens exposed (igloo style) or build an enclosure around it, or a roof over the top. Thes are all expensive and time costly. If your oven is exposed and ends up getting wet after continuous heavy rain just give it about three long gentle fires and it will be back to normal.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David for this...um kinda didn't connect that I would have to do a slow burn again. Makes sense. Sort of like re curing it.
      My WFO is a dome shape. I've only put one render coat on ( with no colour, liked how it looked when it dried).
      Would doing another layer of render help with a bit of protection?

Comment

Many oven owners like to add a waterproofing layer over their ovens. Another school of thought is that the outer shell should be left to breathe because sealing it will also trap moisture in. I'm sitting on the fence on this one, but currently use a waterproofing and a vent.
        Last edited by david s; 02-16-2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Inu,
          I agree with David but not to seal the outer 'skin' completely as it will trap the inner moisture.
          My outer render layer has a few cracks which I leave to allow any residual moisture that gets into he oven when not in use out. To protect it from absorbing rain and surface moisture, (as it is elevated and built onto a retaining wall and into the earth behind), I extended the patio roof line over it with a cream polycarbonate. Now, the only moisture to hit the dome is when the other half has her sprinkler going on her fruit trees and strawberries which are just above the oven. The earth around the hearth is dug 300mm below the floor and filled with rocks, 2 drainage pipes and sat in a lining of plastic, so no water can get into nor under the hearth.
          You might look into putting up a shelter, covered pergola style that can also be used to create an outdoor kitchen/preparation area that would be very handy to the oven, also a great place to relax and enjoy it. It would also allow you to use it year round rather than just summer, spring and autumn.

Cheers.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
            Hi Inu,
            I agree with David but not to seal the outer 'skin' completely as it will trap the inner moisture.
            My outer render layer has a few cracks which I leave to allow any residual moisture that gets into he oven when not in use out. To protect it from absorbing rain and surface moisture, (as it is elevated and built onto a retaining wall and into the earth behind), I extended the patio roof line over it with a cream polycarbonate. Now, the only moisture to hit the dome is when the other half has her sprinkler going on her fruit trees and strawberries which are just above the oven. The earth around the hearth is dug 300mm below the floor and filled with rocks, 2 drainage pipes and sat in a lining of plastic, so no water can get into nor under the hearth.
            You might look into putting up a shelter, covered pergola style that can also be used to create an outdoor kitchen/preparation area that would be very handy to the oven, also a great place to relax and enjoy it. It would also allow you to use it year round rather than just summer, spring and autumn.

Cheers.

Neill
            I agree, it is probably the best solution, but the trouble with an extra structure over the oven is the added time and expense. Will it be worth the extra effort? Council regulations and permits as a starter. Putting the flue through the roof can add some complications too, perhaps needing to have a double skinned flue pipe, a hole through the roof and a seal on the roof side.
            Last edited by david s; 02-16-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Hi Inu

Further to the above I read somewhere on this site [ i think a cobblerdave post but couldn't find it ] about putting in a vent hole in the top of the oven back to the insulation layer to allow any inner moisture an escape path.

My oven [when completed] will never be covered being open to the elements. I will be finishing it in a granite look render, which i noticed yesterday on a sample i was sent, is impervious to water [see my build link below].

I understand that between the firebrick dome and outer covering that moisture can/will occur [probably due to condensation build up]. Not sure of the science behind this.

I dont want to cover the oven, too me that looks ugly, especially when i see so many great looking igloo ovens.

So i am looking at this venting option [wish i had saved that post]
              Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                Hi Inu

Further to the above I read somewhere on this site [ i think a cobblerdave post but couldn't find it ] about putting in a vent hole in the top of the oven back to the insulation layer to allow any inner moisture an escape path.......
                .....So i am looking at this venting option [wish i had saved that post]
                This may not be the post that you remember, there are others out there. But, I feel that this vent will work. That is, if the outer render is as water resistant/proof as possible.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi Gulf

Thanks for that i do remember reading your post in my research.

Are you able to provide any product specs on that breather device. Think i might do the same.

Might see if i can locate one in Aus.

Any reason you have it at the top of the oven [probably obvious as steam rises]. I was told recently by someone from a refractory company that most heat is lost through the top of the dome, that is why i am asking.

On the posts i was referring to in previous post one breather was located at Dome apex the other behind the inner arch. Still cannot find thise posts though.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday
                    It basically rains over the summer mths here in Brisbane and well its to hot to cook pizza anyway so the oven gets used about once a mth in summer and usually in the evenings only.
                    Winters are cool and dry and I would hate to put my oven under a cover and miss out on the fresh air and warm sunshine.
                    I have done everything to keep the water out of the oven, paint, "bondall"sealer on the entrance brick, extended my oven mouth to protect the hearth bricks. But the one thing you can't stop is the internall brickwork just soaking up moisture from the air. Humidity can be as high as 90 per cent here when it rains and if you leave ash in the oven chamber it will end up a sticky mass that you cant sweep up you must scrape off.
                    So I basically live with it, I just except there will be times when the oven just needs a small fire to dry it out. And thats only a small fire once lit just let to go out no 1 1/2 hrs pizza burn required.
                    I followed Davids advice have fitted a vent to the top of the dome to allow any water trapped in the dome to escape. Mk1 was a hooded 100mm vent cap and allowed the insulation to be open to the air. Unfortunally the ants as well, they like somewere up of the ground when it rains and they tried to move in with the whole family. They dont like a fire lit undeneath them either. It takes all night for the heat to get through to them and I found them next morning pouring out the top.
                    So Mk 11 was fitted and its simply a 25 mm brass water pipe end cap you can unscrew when needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mk 11 vent.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	746.2 KB
ID:	292991

Regards
                    Dave
                    Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-16-2013, 06:59 PM.
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

It is just a Gear Box Breather for industrial applications. It can be removed and the hole plugged with a standard 1" threaded plug. A gooseneck like Cobbler Dave has would do the same thing. The main thing is to have a route for moisture to escape. As far as heat escaping from the apex of the dome is conserned. I haven't felt any heat escaping from that hole since the "heat bead" curing. I have cleared the dome several times including this evening. I still have not attached the breather but my dome is under a cover. I plan to install it when I complete the splitbrick on the dome.
                      Last edited by Gulf; 02-16-2013, 07:18 PM.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Dave and Gulf

Dave

I lived in Brisbane for about 3.5 years back in the 90's so i know what you mean by rain and by god over the last 3 years you guys have had more than your share.

Gulf thanks for the link.

I like the idea of the vent option living in Melbourne as Dave would be aware we can have four seasons in a single day. but we dont have the extreme low temperatures that other countries have eg. snow in winter.

I think it is important so i will plan to do simialr when i get to that point with the vent.

Thanks again always appreciated.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                        X