Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolute newbie about to embark on an Adelaide build

Hi All,

Only been seriously researching wood fired ovens for the last few weeks, but this forum has already been invaluable!

I'm not overly handy, but I think even I can pull this off.

I've started designing my base (going 1.2m x 1.2m with besser blocks and capped with 600mm x 600m concrete pavers at the top to start the base of my oven), but the place I'm purchasing the blocks has offered me some other items cheap that I'll need later on. The thing is, I'm still not entirely sure what exactly I'll need later on, there are so many terms and products and different alternatives that my head is spinning.

So, would someone be kind enough to tell me if I want to purchase any of these items for an oven:

Refractory Mortars
    Shiraset FS95 Silca Mortar 25kg bag
    Shirabond 50 Fireclay AS Mortar 15kg bag
    Shiraset ZR High Strength Mortar 25kg bag

Insulation
    Isofrax board 1000mm x 500mm x 25mm (they suggested using this on top of my pavers as the first insulation base level)

Bricks
    They have what they call refractory fire bricks - are they likely to be what we know as fire bricks, or are they likely to be a lower grade version?

Their prices are good, but I'm not sure if these are products I'm going to needs. Any advice/thoughts people could give me would be greatly appreciated.

And sorry if these questions are a little broad or general without detailed plans drawn up, I just don't want to miss out on securing materials I'll need at a good price, only to have to purchase them later at a higher cost as the Minister for Fun & Finance has given me a very small budget!

Thanks
    Jason

Re: Absolute newbie about to embark on an Adelaide build

Hi Jason

You Are Definitely In The Right Place. Welcome Aboard. A Plan Is Always The Best Place To Start. Internal Oven Size To Determine Your Hearth Size. Position. Remember Wise Old Saying

If You Fail To Plan Your Planning To Fail.

Being On This Site Will Allow You Too Plan And Plan Well. It Has Been For My Build Essential The Guys On Here Always Come To Your Aid.

My Oven Base Is 1500 X 1600. For A 1 M Internal Oven. Also The Oven Will Weigh A Lot. Will The Pavers Support The Weight Or Be Supported By What? So With 1200 X 1200 What Size Oven WeRe You Planning
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Oh wow, looks like I might have to go back to the drawing board, I hadn't really considered the size of my oven, I just figured I'd build a base first.

The plans I was looking at was for a 32 inch (81 centimetre) internal size. Would my base be big enough for this?

I have seen the 600x600mm concrete pavers used as a base with pure clay ovens, so I figured it would be strong enough, but is a brick one likely to be too heavy?

I really am a hopeless handyman, so tackling a project of this size might not be a great idea, but I do love the idea of a wood fired oven in the backyard!

Comment

Gudday
        A word from the wise .... Get the minister for both war and finance onside
        ( the wife) trust me the technical details even we can help with those.....
        Regards Dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Jason

Have you downloaded the Forno Plans see the following thread by lburo

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html

if you haven't looked at it yet. It provides a wealth of great builds to visit and study. But I would start by downloading the Forno Plans and reading those 2 to 3 times. I did.

With 81cm oven you would need to add 115mm for the firebrick, 50mm insulation minimum, and 50mm minimum for finish if an igloo oven, totaling 215 mm x 2 as you have this both sides. Making your 81cm internal oven base width needing to be around 1240. this doesn't include the landing so your 1200 x 1200 base is very very tight. Assuming I haven't missed anything here.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
            Gudday
            A word from the wise .... Get the minister for both war and finance onside
            ( the wife) trust me the technical details even we can help with those.....
            Regards Dave

Dave

you left out FUN.

Monster for Fun War and Finance
            Cheers Colin

Comment

The Monster for War and Finance is pretty happy as long as I stick to a $1,000 budget (I don't think I can get it come in under that, but I won't be too far over).

So you gentlemen got me thinking (dangerous, as I reiterate I am so un-handyman it's laughable).

Here is what I'm thinking - a more rectangular style build like Rado from traditionaloven.com sells plans for (I have the Forno Bravo plans and also the plans from Rado). If I go 7 rows of firebricks by 5 rows for the base, that gives me a floor of about 1150 x 805mm.

To keep things simple (the simpler we keep things, the more chance I have of ever cooking anything) I will build a four level besser block base of 1.6m x 1.6 m with angle iron supports under the either concrete tiles or a concrete base - the extra width I will use on one side for preparing/storing pizzas during the cooking process and for resting an ice cold beer while I cook! The block will be an M style with a row of besser blocks down the middle for extra support, but as I plan to offset the oven to one side, I'll centre the support under the oven, creating two different sized storage areas underneath.

So my technical expert forumites, is that a going to work. Here is what I ponder:

Is a the 1150m too long - Rado's build is 87 x 96cm, by going much longer than it is wide, do I run the risk of cold spots or longer heating up times? I could drop a row of bricks to make a 920 x 805mm internal floor. My other option is to turn the bricks sideways and run 4 rows by 9 rows for a 920 x 1035mm oven - would this be better?

Any advice anyone can provide on this concept would be greatly appreciated, I've been reading and reading the construction guides so I'm starting to form an idea of what I need, it's really just finalising a sensible, workable design that I'm struggling with!

Thanks again
              Jason

Comment

Hi Jason,

Welcome to another Adelaidean.

What I have learnt is that you need to have sufficient mass to make the heat work for you, and Insulate, Insulate, insulate.... to keep the heat in and give you good value for money. This includes the under the cooking surface.

Get 'she who must be obeyed' to go through the forum photos to work out what look of oven she likes, this will make going over budget less painful, when you are only building what she wants!! My wife now loves the oven for her baking, I have to fire up, just so she can make things

I believe the more you do yourself, the cheaper it is. Mixing your own concrete base will not only be stronger, but probably cheaper than buying slabs.

I used Poormans mortar and found this to be an economical method.

Like a shed, it is never big enough when built.

Good luck

Craig
                "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                The Pirate Captain

Comment

Thanks Craig,

I do plan to insulate a lot, I'm going to go with two layers of ceramic fibre board on the base, I've heard really good things about it.

The problem with my wife is that she doesn't cook, so the oven design is of little interest to her, as long as it cooks food she likes she'll be happy.

So much to think about before starting construction, my brain is all fuzzy. I'm buying some refractory fireclay mortar tomorrow, but even with the application and mixing of that there are so many theories!

Still, it's exciting times!

Comment

Hi Jason.

I'm another local 2.

There are ways to achieve "budget stretch" .....
                    Build oven to budget without dome insulation (but do all the others things important for an oven on here).

Then after a few cook ups you can suggest the idea of conserving amount of timber burnt and able to cook in it for an extra day or so (from original fire) ......all of a sudden your budget might get extended.

Stick to the design and help on here and don't rush.......just my thoughts
                    Cheers
                    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Looking forward to seeing your build...my lot are planning to get over to Adelaide sometime this year. I was going to try and catch up with one or two ovens and their owners just to talk shop, it looks like there's plenty to choose from in SA!
                      Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

What is Poorman's mortar. I keep hearing this term.

Comment

Working...
                        X