36inch build in Redlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36inch build in Redlands

Been thinking about this for a while now and have finally decided to take on this project. Gathered my fire bricks first (43% alumina but at the right price). Picked up a mixer and brick saw second hand pretty cheap and hope to sell them when I'm done and get most of my money back. Next decided on a spot and that just happened to be where a golden cane palm was. 3 days digging later, the palm is now gone. No mucking around and boxed and poured the foundation slab, starter bars in place. Again, no mucking around and a week later, I have my blocks layed, core filled, and all my steel reinforcing in place, ready for my top slab. I think a tank would bounce off this thing. Now I have a question about the insulation layer above the top slab and beneath the floor tiles. Will it hurt to recess this to be level with the slab height. I'm trying to achieve as little a step up into the oven as I can but am concerned about it filling up with water if it rains. I was planning to recess the insulating bricks into the slab or build up a second floor layer around it. Just concerned about it becoming a swimming pool when it rains. Thanks for reading.

Re: 36inch build in Redlands

HI Stevo

plenaty have done what you suggest check out this thread.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html

I cannot remmber the builds but am sure one or two have done what you suggest in the list provided on this thread.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Gudday
      I built the insulation layer then the built the floor up to level . I have to be very aware of impending rain and cover the hearth at the entrance because any rain on it and the waters down between the bricks and straight into that insulation. The swimming pool effect as you discribed
      Another built we built we made a ring of brick, same size as the complete oven weep holes on the bottom layer then filled with insulation. That seems to work alright. Although I would say that ovens hearth will suck up rain just as fast but tends to dry out faster
      Regards dave
      Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-08-2013, 08:55 PM.
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

After looking at some other threads, looks like maybe the weep holes are a good idea. Other people recommend venting the insulation layer so I might do that. Mortar common bricks down to the hearth slab, around the insulating bricks to build it up to the same level, and leave a thin tunnel to the outside on each side of the block base. Then my plan is to use thick paver tiles over the bricks and get a nicely finished top that is only slightly lower than the floor tiles in the oven. Sound do-able?

Comment

Can anybody say wether or not it will be ok to use common house bricks for the outside of the vent. Inner arch will be fire bricks but I want an ornamental brick on the outside arch. So fire bricks for the inner arch and under the flu and an arch of house bricks outside of that. Will that work? Thanks Colin and Dave for your advice earlier. Will post some more pics of progress soon.
          Last edited by stevo70; 05-15-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

You can use common brick on the vent. I separated mine from the firebrick and filled the gap in with vermiculite/portland mix. When you are going vertical with the commons you will get some isolation by default - should be no problem.
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Gudday
              Yes good as gold... Mines survived 2 yrs now. You have to admit firebricks are very bland. Check out VWiz oven in the photo section. Very inspiring!

Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

Ok Thanks, Off to Rochedale bricks to see what they can sell me... Bought a mixer and brick saw second hand and started thinking about some tools that would make the job easier. Printed a picture off the net of a tool that attaches to the saw for chamfering edges, arch bricks etc. Went on night shift and cut all the steel pieces I needed to make one myself and put it all together at home (copying the picture). Turned out better than a bought one. Also made a straight or angled support and while the Mig was out, knocked up an 18" indispensable tool as well. Good tools help to make a good job and I'm really happy with how these will all work.

Comment

Good tools do make good job. Looks like you can weld. Good luck on your build.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Busy past few days, had the week off work so made the most of it. Core filled my blocks, all the reinforcing steel put in place and top slab poured. My you beaut second hand mixer started throwing the belt off half way through so that made for some swearing every time it stopped while I was bucketing the concrete out of the barrow by hand and up to the slab... Will get that sorted before next time. All done and looking good so far. Bought some ornamental bricks from Rochedale too. 3 large holes in them so hope they go ok. Going to build an arch inside the block base opening today hopefully. This will be interesting...
                    Last edited by stevo70; 05-17-2013, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                      Good tools do make good job. Looks like you can weld. Good luck on your build.
                      Thanks yes fortunately I can weld and think I'll stick to that after this oven is built. A professional brickie would have stories to tell for weeks if he saw me building my arch yesterday. Got there in the end and it is reasonable. Harder than it looks. Also layed out the insulating bricks precisely and built up the floor height to them with mortared down commons. Left some channels for weep hole drainage. Should work out ok. First course to go down now. Will arrange them on their ends and I have cut a slice off each one to give the second course a more angled surface to sit on rather than flat. This question might have been asked a thousand times but is it best to mortar down the first course or leave it just sitting on the insulation bricks? Downloaded instructions don't really mention it. My floor will be cut to fit inside the first "soldier" course.

Comment

Gudday
                        Don't ever be reluctant to ask ,the plans arnt everything.
                        On the question of mortaring down the first ring of brick that's a No. The domes best to be left to expand and contract separately to the rest.
                        Run a bit of tape around the space between the dome and hearth so it doesn't fill with mortar as the build progresses for the same reason.
                        There has been a lot of discussion over soilder courses over time, but if you use one it will require buttressing of some form at least an inch of mortar around it.
                        My own build has a soilder course, but I err to side of caution as you can achieve a stronger constructin with bricks layed on the flat

Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

Thanks Dave, Makes sense what you say about the soldier course but unfortunately I have already committed and cut my first course. Might not be as bad as they are a weird shaped brick cut in half which makes them shorter than a normal fire brick. They are only 160mm tall and with the angles cut to support the second course makes them even shorter might be ok?

Comment

[QUOTE=
                            Run a bit of tape around the space between the dome and hearth so it doesn't fill with mortar as the build progresses for the same reason.

Regards dave[/QUOTE]

I prefer using a single layer of corrugated cardboard for this space. It is about the right thickness required and burns away easier.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                              I prefer using a single layer of corrugated cardboard for this space. It is about the right thickness required and burns away easier.
                              Ok so I will want to leave a gap between the floor tiles and the first course of about the width of a piece of cardboard? or maybe about 3mm? Cover it while constructing to keep cement etc out of there?

Comment

Working...
                              X