Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making my own tools

Hi All

Decided to make my own tools after the initial ones got a bit burnt! They were the cheap type but were good to use while I got used to the oven.

Basically some stainless steel offcuts from Paramount Browns (Adelaide) and handles from Bunnings. As usual used this site to see what others have made and mixed this in with my limited experience so far.

The stainless cut pretty easy with a grinder with a stainless steel cutting wheel. Timber is stained and oiled. Didn't finish putting all the heads on as I blunted a couple of drills drilling the holes for the bolts, even though they were supposed to be for stainless steel!

I have posted a pic of the initial cuts before I started the bending. I will post other pics in the thread as it doesn't appear I can put in multiple pics from my IPAD.

Re: Making my own tools

Some more pics

Comment

Sorry another pic!

Comment

Hey Chaz

They look great. For a grand total of not a lot $.

Can I ask you too label them not sure what some of those tools are used for.

I had a similar idea when I went to a fabricators the other day. He gave me some off cuts of SS so I could work out the outer duct finish. Me thinks !!!!!! I could make my own tools with offcuts.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Nice work Chas. what thickness SS did you use?
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Nice collection of pizza weapons. Going to copy your rake...........
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Colin,

The tools are basically the usual ones every one has. Maybe the different tools are the longer curved one which is really for moving the coal/fire around. I will use this to move the fire to the left when cooking pizzas, which I find works better for me. I will use the rake when I want to push the fire to the back which I find better for roasting.

The other different one is like a cement trowel. It's on a smaller handle and will likely use when I am baking or want to "prod" the fire while nearer to the door. Otherwise will use the longer handled round peel to move pizzas around.

I only had the square peel and found it difficult to move pizzas around when I had up to 4 in the oven. Hopefully the combination of the trowel and the round peel will help me manage this better.

Comment

Hi David

Most of the S/S thickness offcuts had 1.5mm written on them. There was a 2.5mm piece which I initially cut for the square peel but it was too heavy and no way that I could bend it ( as I bent everything by hand with a little bit of assistance from a rubber mallet!). Maybe if I was built like Arnie!

The 1.5mm seems to be pretty strong and ok for weight.

Comment

Thanks Russell

Well you wouldn't be copying from me as a copied from others on the site!

Yes they do look like weapons. One of my sons thought i was making a spear when he saw the pointy tool. Also showed some people a work and they initially thought I made some surgery tools!

I have most probably gone overboard and may not use all the tools regularly but I guess I it's there just in case! It's like the whole WFO thing. Once you start it gets a bit addictive!

Comment

Hi Chas,
                    as a fellow Adelaidian, I am interested in your brush.
                    I found several natural fibre bannister brushes for the sweeping of the hearth floor but they only last for around a dozen sweepings before they are gone. No they are not synthetic, nylon or similar but my hearths are over 500˚C when I start cooking pizzas and the fibres start to burn. I am often putting out the burning ones before they disappear.
                    How is your broom standing up to the task, what type is it and where did you find it?

Basically some stainless steel offcuts from Paramount Browns
                    Paramount Browns used to be great for those special offcut purchases, but since they have cleaned out their factory, I have't seen their stainless selection, only their aluminium stocks.
                    I use a stainless steel fabricator in Edwardstown, Chapman Fabrications for all my stainless requirements, it's amazing what scraps you buy with folding!
                    They are not only great with pricing but also very abliging with services.

Cheers.

Neill
                    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                    Neill’s kitchen underway
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hi Neill

i haven't used the brush yet but will let you know how it goes. i found it at Bunnings in the section where they have cement materials. i thought that it might be able to deal with the heat better - time will tell. i am also looking for a metal brush as well but haven't been successful with this yet. the brush will be held with a couple of wing nuts so its easier to change over as i have assumed they will have a limited life span.

re the s/s. i was looking at their full sheets and noticed a box full of offcuts. it was a mix of s/s and aluminium so you had to make sure you picked the right ones. most of them were labelled. i pretty much took all the s/s ofcuts that appeared to be about the size i wanted. sorry if anyone came looking for some after me!!

cheers

Chaz

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz Aus View Post
                        Hi David

Most of the S/S thickness offcuts had 1.5mm written on them. There was a 2.5mm piece which I initially cut for the square peel but it was too heavy and no way that I could bend it ( as I bent everything by hand with a little bit of assistance from a rubber mallet!). Maybe if I was built like Arnie!

The 1.5mm seems to be pretty strong and ok for weight.
                        Yes, 1.5 should be good. I started with 0.9 mm but found it a bit too floppy. I now use 1.2 mm. You don't want it too thick because you are just pulling heat out of the oven every time you put it in and out.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi Neill

i haven't used the brush yet but will let you know how it goes. i found it at Bunnings in the section where they have cement materials. i thought that it might be able to deal with the heat better - time will tell.
                          I too used one of these brushes. It has been going for about 2 months and is still fine. I am sure it would burn well without some care but kept out of the coals and flame it seems ok. I mounted a block fitted with a handle on the back of the brush and it will be simple to replace the head.

Your tool kit looks impressive. Much can be done with some basic material and a little care and enthusiasm. As your result proves.
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Hi Neill

i haven't used the brush yet but will let you know how it goes. i found it at Bunnings in the section where they have cement materials. i thought that it might be able to deal with the heat better - time will tell.
                            It is most likely a natural fiber brush if you got it in the masonry side of the store. Horse hair bushes are common...I have heard of goat hair and a material made from plants.

Great job on the oven tools.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                            John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                              Yes, 1.5 should be good. I started with 0.9 mm but found it a bit too floppy. I now use 1.2 mm. You don't want it too thick because you are just pulling heat out of the oven every time you put it in and out.
                              David,

That is one hyper-sensitive oven you have there, if a few seconds of peel contact is "just pulling heat out of the oven every time you put it in and out." Just imagine what that circulating air is doing? Get real, my friend, stop scaring the newbies, and stop BSing the rest of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X