Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alan Scott oven in sydney

I used the Alan Scott Design.
    I had the hearth and side wall bricks as the plans stated. The dome was not up yet.
    Several guys here suggested this would be too much mass for an occasional Pizza
    We went back and changed the bricks for less mass.
    I am so glad I did.
    Ihave 4-5" of vermicrete under the hearth
    The oven is in the curing stage, without insulation yet.
    I did have a crack open up.
    We should be finishing up in a few weeks.
    I am really happy with it so far
    good luck
    michael

Originally posted by chubbybones View Post
    Well i had a good talking to by a friend who is an expert in this field and i will definately be changing things up somewhat.I'll be going for a hybrid version of the original design.Barrel vault type oven with approx. 75mm thermal mass all round and close to 150mm of insulation.Unlike Alan scotts design i will be putting the insulation over the hearth slab not under it,meaning i no longer need to design a suspended type hearth slab,it could just sit of the existing concrete blockwork.I will actually probably end up with a slightly bigger oven internally overall so thats also good.

Thanks to all who pushed me to revise my original idea.

Polo,i definately see the advantages of an oven like yours and like you say its also very efficient in the fact you need not fire it as often but i dont think ill be needing to be cooking throughout the week.I see myself as a weekend cook for when people come over etc.So i think i quicker fire up time and still a decent amount of retained heat time will be ideal for my purposes.

I'll keep you guys updated.
    Cheers,John.

Comment

Hi Crawfish,
      So you did basically what i want to do?
      Are your walls and hearth now 75 mm?(ie: 3 inches).
      Im sort of doing a mockup on the floor to see where things will go.
      I need to figure out inner and outer arch and best way to combine them
      to make the flue chimney.Surely there are minimum standards in flue dimensions t oallow for efficient draw from the oven.Ill have to look into that.
      Also high did you come up on the walls before beginning your arch?
      Good to see someone else in my predicament
      Cheers,John

Originally posted by Crawfish fest View Post
      I used the Alan Scott Design.
      I had the hearth and side wall bricks as the plans stated. The dome was not up yet.
      Several guys here suggested this would be too much mass for an occasional Pizza
      We went back and changed the bricks for less mass.
      I am so glad I did.
      Ihave 4-5" of vermicrete under the hearth
      The oven is in the curing stage, without insulation yet.
      I did have a crack open up.
      We should be finishing up in a few weeks.
      I am really happy with it so far
      good luck
      michael
      --------------

John

My Build ......... http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ney-20053.html

Comment

Yes, the walls are made with the sides touching.
        This is my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/3/bu...r-19728-2.html
        As u can see, in one pic i had the side walls and hearth bricks as the plans showed
        We changed that out.

Comment

It might be a bit early to be talking about chimney's at this stage but i guess i'd like to set out the dimensions of the final build while i still have the opportunity to extend the hearth slab over the blockwork.This was another very helpful tip my friend gave me.
          So to finish the mockup i need to figure out where the oven ends and where the chimney opening begins.

I was thinking of making that transition as per scotts design like this ,
          Any thought's ?
          --------------

John

Comment

That's how mine is done.
            I have a large flue, it drafts nicely
            I am learning as i go along
            My dome bricks are flat side down, not edge side down
            Last edited by Crawfish fest; 10-23-2013, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Check out this thread.
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...hot-19872.html

Comment

Thanks crawfish,
                Looks like we are on the right track then.

I did a quick mockup today and quickly realised that what my friend said to me was true.I will need more overall length,an extra 150mm to the hearth slab.I will just cantilever it off the concrete blocks.
                --------------

John

Comment

Well i had a good talking to by a friend who is an expert in this field and i will definately be changing things up somewhat.I'll be going for a hybrid version of the original design.Barrel vault type oven with approx. 75mm thermal mass all round and close to 150mm of insulation.Unlike Alan scotts design i will be putting the insulation over the hearth slab not under it,meaning i no longer need to design a suspended type hearth slab,it could just sit of the existing concrete blockwork.I will actually probably end up with a slightly bigger oven internally overall so thats also good.

Thanks to all who pushed me to revise my original idea.

Polo,i definately see the advantages of an oven like yours and like you say its also very efficient in the fact you need not fire it as often but i dont think ill be needing to be cooking throughout the week.I see myself as a weekend cook for when people come over etc.So i think i quicker fire up time and still a decent amount of retained heat time will be ideal for my purposes.

I'll keep you guys updated.
                  Cheers,John.
                  Sounds like you are making the right choice for yourself. I only commented so you could get the real life numbers from someone who has nad uses a higher mass oven.

In the end you need to build something that is suitable to your needs and not someone elses. Good luck on your build

Comment

Originally posted by Polo View Post
                    Sounds like you are making the right choice for yourself. I only commented so you could get the real life numbers from someone who has nad uses a higher mass oven.

In the end you need to build something that is suitable to your needs and not someone elses. Good luck on your build
                    Thanks Polo,
                    I agree with you.Here i was thinking pizza oven designs were pretty much universal. Only when you get into understanding it all,you find out how minor changes can alter an overall characteristics.

Well today we poured the hearth slab.
                    We put a second layer steel mesh in as we poured the concrete to give it more tensile strength.Slowly making progress.
                    Regards ,John.

--------------

John

Comment

Hi John

Looking good!

How long did you leave between pouring your hearth slab and taking the form work away and being ready to move to the next stage. I'm thinking of taking a few days off to kick start the process, however there is no point if I'm going to have to just sit and wait for the slab to dry?

I guess there could be some point in that I could sit and drink beer and dream of the pizzas I plan to make.

Cheers

Mark
                      My build --> http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/fi...d-20033-1.html

Comment

Originally posted by mnl View Post
                        Hi John

Looking good!

How long did you leave between pouring your hearth slab and taking the form work away and being ready to move to the next stage. I'm thinking of taking a few days off to kick start the process, however there is no point if I'm going to have to just sit and wait for the slab to dry?

I guess there could be some point in that I could sit and drink beer and dream of the pizzas I plan to make.

Cheers

Mark
                        G'day Mark,

I know what you mean.Most people wait for the hearth slab to cure for a week but ive seen some on here take to the next step straight away as well.I might wait some where in between like 3-4 days.Having said that, rain has started here in sydney and predicted for all week
                        So far i only took off the formwork from the sides of the slab.I think i'll leave the formwork supporting the weight for a little longer.

In the meantime i can order materials and find some weather protection for the oven build.

Cheers John
                        --------------

John

Comment

Gudday
                          Rain that's good! That slab will cure well in the damp and be good and strong. Drying out only takes away its strength .
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                            Gudday
                            Rain that's good! That slab will cure well in the damp and be good and strong. Drying out only takes away its strength .
                            Regards dave
                            This is true,there's always a silver lining
                            But i wont lie,once you start at this, the hankering for the finish line pizza is something no grown man can resist
                            --------------

John

Comment

This is true,there's always a silver lining
                              But i wont lie,once you start at this, the hankering for the finish line pizza is something no grown man can resist
                              Gudday
                              Sometime that timeline slips a lot. Took about 7 weeks till the first pizza
                              ......and three years till completion
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by mnl View Post
                                How long did you leave between pouring your hearth slab and taking the form work away and being ready to move to the next stage.
                                Why cant you just keep on with the progress and just leave the form work in place?
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X