A quick trip to Adelaide to make sure a good friend is ok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick trip to Adelaide to make sure a good friend is ok

A quick trip to Adelaide to make sure a good friend is ok, he has dropped off the radar although I was just over there in November?

Leaving Mel on Sunday the 29 December at 5.00 am Arriving Adl mid arvo, it all depends on the traffic, Yep.............Im driving......

A round trip of about 1800kms

Motel booked for Sunday night in North Adelaide, leaving early Monday morning and hopefully arriving home at around 6pm Monday evening.

Hoping to visit Handorf on the return trip to stock up on the delicious salamis the town is renowned for, and maybe some wine from the area.

Im all for a detour if any Adelaide members have some suggestions?

Regards, Al
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: A quick trip to Adelaide to make sure a good friend is ok

Hi Brickie,

Call into Beerenberg in Hahndorf. Eastern end (Mt Barker) of Hahndorf main street, just out of the township.

Fresh strawberries, wonderful jams and they do a great Coopers Ale Barbeque Sauce. It is good as a sauce on meats but also goes well on pizza base for a BBQ meatlovers Pizza. MMMM

Safe driving

Cheers

Craig
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
    The Pirate Captain

Comment

Also try the Hahndorf Smallgoods Kangaroo Salami. Truly fantastic.

Take a scenic drive from North Adelaide to get to Hahndorf. Greenhill Road up to Balhanah, or Norton Summit road, or North east road up to Gumeracha and on through to Lobethal/Woodside/Hahndorf area.

There are some great small wineries and small food producers with very good products. Lobethal also has a Bierhaus that makes some good beers to wet the whistle on your journey home.

Craig
      Last edited by BOOMERS WFO; 12-27-2013, 02:42 AM.
      "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
      The Pirate Captain

Comment

Hi Al

A few places for cured meats in Hahndorf. The furit/vege place on the way in to Hahndorf has a good selection of meats, so does Harris's smokehouse, Noske's butcher, and a Taste of Hahndorf next to the Hahndorf Inn.

I own Gulf Brewery in Hahndorf - if you want beers, come and see us at the far end of Hahndorf, but if wine is your tipple, Hahndorf Hill winery, turn left after the vege place, Somerled on the RHS and Mojo/Rockbare on the LHS as you enter the main street of Hahndorf. Also Skara smallgoods in Mt Barker, but on the road out of Hahndorf to the freeway heading back to Melb.

Cheers
        Pedro

Comment

I have fond memories of my visit to Hahndorf. All of the things mentioned here are very good in my recollection and the cheese from whatever they called themselves was very good as well. South Australia has much to offer and I intend to go back and extend the 2 months I spent there.

Travel well Brickie.
          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks for the replies, Ill see what time we have when we are set to leave Adelaide....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The cheese palace in Hahndorf is called Udder Delights, really good Adelaide Hills cheese. I prefer to get my cheese for pizza from the "The Smelly Cheese" in the Adelaide Central Markets only because of the variety of local and imported cheese.

Cheers
              Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                Hoping to visit Handorf on the return trip to stock up on the delicious salamis the town is renowned for, and maybe some wine from the area.
                My suggestion is don't buy anything labelled "salami".
                Buy only garlic mettwurst.
                I've always preferred Kalleske's.
                They originated in the Barossa in the 1920's though I think they are in Adelaide now.
                The reason I always liked their wurst was because it was the one closest in style taste and quality to the stuff my dad and grandmother made.
                Unfortunately the recipe died with my father, and to top it off Kalleske's wurst seems to be changing a little.
                After much taste testing and thinking, I've concluded that
                a) They now vacuum pack it so they can sell it to the supermarkets and this changes the wurst by interrupting the drying/curing.
                b) They appear to be grinding the meat slightly finer and packing it tighter. I reckon fine grinding overworks the proteins.
                c) Traditionally wurst is a dried raw sausage and they are doing that, but, growing up we used to eat our homemade stuff really fresh, almost spreadable on your sandwich.

points a) and c) are easily addressed during the agricultural show season, when Kalleske's attend the shows with their van filled with really young 1.5 metre sticks that have never seen a vacuum packer.Yum
                Last edited by wotavidone; 12-28-2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Just got back home, Im buggered from all that driving.
                  We did call into Hahndorf but it was too early and most of the shops still had an hour till opening, I even went past your place Pedro.

We will make a proper holiday of it next spring and spend more time looking and relaxing.. open

Taste of Hahndorf was open but I didnt like the way the salamis were displayed and the total lack of hygiene so didnt buy anything.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I'm guessing that your friend is OK!............... Right?.............
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Sorry for the vague rundown last night, I could hardly think never mind type..

Yes my mate is fine, he and technology dont get along too well, he keeps losing his phone and all the numbers.

This time I have given his daughters my details, address, phone number, email address and have friended them on facebook, so there should be no excuses or reasons for a mad road trip in the future.......

A few pics from the trip.

Weird jet trail and "shadow"?

Pink Lake.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-30-2013, 06:07 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Pink Lake Vid.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                        X