Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foamgtlas in Australia (Sydney)

Hi all,

just about to start my build and gathering materials etc.

A lot of my research comes across Foamglas as a medium between the slab and calsil insulation.

A) where do you find foamglas in sydney for domestic sale
    B) do i need it (or do I pour a perlite mix)
    C) where do i find calsil at a good price in sydney

another query who recommends a thermocouple or thermometer, i am an electrician so wiring either is no prob, i have a fluke heat gun and works very well at observing temps, those that have a built in thermometer do you use it, or do you have a feel for the oven . its a big outlay for something that may not get used to often.

i'm planning a 42" in the style of mitch's build, cast type slab (got a good mate as a form worker as help)

500x300mm opening, glazed ceramic tile finish (pool tiles type finish with colour variation) its an oven open to the weather conditions.

Already got the fire bricks and besser blocks nice and cheap, got the land and house (most important!)

hopefully done in well under a year, i have limited time with house renos, landscaping, and 2 young kids, but its the hunger that fuels the fire at this stage to finish the build.

thanks in advance for any help
    brendan
    The build has started. 40" pompeii. With mosaic tile exterior.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=dcdb2f715c

Re: Foamgtlas in Australia (Sydney)

P.S.

I have fire bricks with the code

NGR
    HAF

stamped on them, any idea what this means, they are heavy 225x112x80mm.

Comment

I found, a least in the States, companies that carry CaSi also carry FoamGlas(most refractory suppliers). I used both but CaSi may be easier to work with, FoamGlas is really fragile stuff and the only reason I used it because I did an igloo and our weather truly has a winter here. FoamGlas will not absorb water like CaSi. If you are enclose, use CaSi or even Perl or V-crete (cheapest option) but it takes more thickness of P or Vcrete to equal CaSi.

I installed TCs, I used them at first, kind of a novelty, never use them now, just the old laser gun but I am not a serious baker either.

I know how expensive fire brick is in you end of the world so since you have yours already you are over the hump on cost. Looks like similar dimensions of our fire brick so should be just fine when you cut them in half. Good luck, you have a lot of good Aussie builders to draw from.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi russel.
        I have been looking closely at your build. I would like a similar oven when finished. Only major difference is I have a cast slab in mind.
        its hard to find some products in australia. America seems to have such a large product base that unfortunately we dont have here. I no doubt can get it but it can be fairly expensive.

Comment

Just use calsil or Hebel or combination of both. Have never come across foamglqss in my research. Insulation bricks or permit cement mix will also work. Personally I obviously prefer the hebel option for obvious reasons.
          Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-29-2014, 07:19 AM.
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Working...
          X