Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie build Adelaide

Howdy folks,
    I came across this site looking for a pizza oven to buy, and after much reading am now inspired to build my own. (Thanks!)
    So, I have download the Forno instructions, and cleared a corner of the garden ready to begin.
    I have couple of questions (probaby first of many) and would appreciate your opinions.

1. Looking at the picture of the area to be used, do I have any issues building in the proximity to the neighbouring properties? I plan to pretty the corner up with renered cement board above the base.

2. I have a stack of paving bricks I salvaged from the old verandah floor, I chucked a couple into my log burner for a couple of weeks ti see if they cracked with the heat but they didnt.would it be OK to use these for the dome and fire bricks for the floor?

Many thanks

Re: Newbie build Adelaide

Hi Steve,

Welcome to WFO heaven.

Just be aware of council regulations about structures near fence lines. Each council is a bit different. Also think about the impact of the oven on your neighbours, where will smoke go etc. Of course neighbours can be pacified by the temptation of pizza invites.

A lot of people use clay pavers as a cost effective method for the dome. It comes down to how you plan on using the oven long term. Also whether the bricks have been exposed to any potential toxins that you may not wish to be part of your oven experience!!

I opted for the full fire brick build and haven't regretted it as with insulation I can achieve 3 days cooking from one fire-up. Good thermal mass and lots/lots/lots of insulation and efficient use of wood.

Good luck.

Keep asking questions.

Regards

Craig
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
    The Pirate Captain

Comment

Hi and welcome.

If you haven't read this thread I suggest you do.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html

Personally I would use firebricks [which I did] your pavers will work... but... if you go to all the effort to build an oven I would put my money onto 2 things, insulation and firebrick throughout. If money is a problem put it into the insulation.

Cheers
      Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-23-2014, 03:24 AM.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

1. Generally you are required to build anything 1.5 m inside any boundary fence, I would recommend a tall flue pipe to above the gutters at least.
        2. Clay (not cement) pavers may be OK, but they also may not be. Clay composition varies enormously and as they're designed as pavers rather than oven bricks you will not be able to find out if they'll be ok. If it were me I'd be trying them anyway as they are more likely to be OK rather than fail. Use firebricks for the floor if you can.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Agree completely David after my decorative stone blew up. It was a cement paver dry pressed. Definitely not for very hot places. It became brittle and just disintegrated.

So if they aren't kiln fired pavers I would not use them. From my research over the last week Claypave kiln fire their clay pavers to 1100c.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it. I've been reading this forum for a couple of months including many of the start to finish posts.
            I'm not sure what my paver bricks are made of but I will add a picture of one after it had been in my log burner for a couple of weeks.
            Cheers
            Steve

Comment

My concrete paver I had fired felt brittle and chalky after firing at pottery temperatures. If it doesn't feel like that it will probably work.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

That's excellent news! I have about 300 of these babies so it really will help me out if I can use em.
                I'll check out the council regs before I start.
                Thanks again
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_H View Post
                  Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it. I've been reading this forum for a couple of months including many of the start to finish posts.
                  I'm not sure what my paver bricks are made of but I will add a picture of one after it had been in my log burner for a couple of weeks.
                  Cheers
                  Steve
                  They kind of look like concrete paver's. You could test it with hydrochloric acid. Test on a broken end if possible. just drop a drop on the surface if it froths up - its concrete, if not its clay. Generally clay is more inert and will not react.

You can use the acid diluted to clean your external bricks, so a small bottle would not be wasted.

Comment

G'day
                    Good one Brissie.
                    And the good thing its available. It's used pool chemical to balance the Ph in pools. Best if you know someone with a pool, cause then you could get a small amount for a test.
                    Also available as a hardware item for brick cleaning, but again quantities might be a little large for a simple test.
                    You just have to be inventive. I recon I could rock up to my local pool shop with a story of WFO and pavers and leave with a 50 ml sample ( minis a 6 pack as well )
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hey Dave I picked up a litre for 5.50. So not a biggy. . Comes in handy if lasting around used to clean bricks
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                      X