X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calsil and dissolving in water

hi all,

just a quick question regarding calsil.

I was under the impression that calsil CAN dissolve over time in water, i.e. if your pizza oven is in the weather all year round.

Has anyone heard the same advice.

I have been told to build slab then hebel then insulating fire bricks (already purchased), then hearth bricks for oven floor.
    The build has started. 40" pompeii. With mosaic tile exterior.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=dcdb2f715c

Re: Calsil and dissolving in water

I don't know how well it holds up but even if your oven is out in the weather, it should be weatherproofed enough that the insulation stays dry. Regardless of whether or not it will dissolve. Wet insulation = wet refractory = an oven that doesn't really work. If your insulation is getting wet enough that you are worried about that, then you've done something wrong in building the oven.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

yeah true I suppose, it was recommended from a pizza oven builder at a refractory shop here in sydney. He recommended hebel instead. In my time I have found water running up hills, it tends to find its way into anywhere with extreme weather. Like Sydney just experienced over the past 24 hours.
      The build has started. 40" pompeii. With mosaic tile exterior.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=dcdb2f715c

Comment

IFB will work well for insulation. Plenty of builders have used them. But in any case, do all you can to keep water out of your oven. It will save you plenty of grief over time.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
        X