Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36'' Pompeii in Mackay Qld

Good idea Seamad!
    The build has started. 40" pompeii. With mosaic tile exterior.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=dcdb2f715c

Comment

Hi Guys

I have been very busy working and also working on my oven and forgot to post updates haha. Anyway so last time i was put up a post i was about to start cutting bricks to integrate the arch and also looking for ideas to help the bricks not slide.

This past week i have been working from 4-7 every arv and have now completed my dome. I used the trick of seamad for all the course until the last course and capstone where i made a pile of bricks with a pizza tray on top with a pile of sand to give me my required shape.

Below are some picks from the work.

I finished the dome on the Friday and i am thinking of starting the curing process this Friday and am interested in the curing process that everyone has used ??
      I am running short on time before i have to move away for uni again and so can allow 1 week for curing 1 week for firing and then a couple of good fires before i have to render it and leave do you think this will be okay ??

Also on another side note i am starting to look for fire wood and came across a guy on gumtree who cut down a tree a couple of months ago and is trying to get rid of the timber i have not heard of it before but would be interested in your opinion on how you guys think it will burn

Cheers Will

Comment

Hi Guys

Sorry i forgot to add the link to the gumtree add which was advertising the free wood i was talking about

FREE Yellow(Nootka) Cypress logs & slabs in SLADE POINT | Other Home & Garden | Gumtree Australia Mackay City - Slade Point | 1063366848

Cheers Will

Comment

G'day Will
          Cyprus pine is full of oils, termites will not eat it he stuff. Those oils burn alright but cracks and spits. Makes good kindling but for general burning it's going to smell and impart bad flavours. Better off keeping an eye open for some seasoned hardwood.
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

G'day again Will
            This site is playing silly b):ggers tonight just got a look at your pics in your previous post. You have been busy. Well done. It's a great feeling getting that dome finished, and your thoughts turn to the wood supply...funny about that
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once

My Build
            My Door

Comment

cypress pine great for floors and termite free. But not good burning, doesnt get enough heat out of it. I burnt a lot in my fire place last winter and it just roars into life then dies off. Ask any arborist for free timber, and try and get hardwood, you may have to season it yourself for a while, but next year its all good. Maybe buy some wood for this period.

Comment

Hi Guys

Thanks for the input i am thinking that buying some seasoned hardwood initially may be my best option i have found a supply at $50 a ute load. time to load up

I am now thinking about how i am going to go about the curing process. I would be really interested in whether you used the fornobravo method or 5 fires over 5 days ?? or i have been reading more about people using the field furnace method where you constant keep heating ??

Cheers Will

Comment

Read the whole curing thread. It doesn't make much difference how you do it, but you need to take it gently. There is a huge difference in the temperature between the crown of the dome and the base of the dome, which leads to uneven expansion rates that can be damaging.This is caused by the water being driven out of the crown of the dome first. Allowing the oven to cool down between fires will equalise the temperatures and then you start again. Under floor moisture is probably the most difficult to remove.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

He has a hebel base, why would there be moisture to dry out under the floor?
                    I have a similar constructed base, no water has touched by base to my knowledge. Is it because bricks inherently absord humidity when cooling down or something along that line?

Comment

Originally posted by BrendanLovesPizza View Post
                      He has a hebel base, why would there be moisture to dry out under the floor?
                      I have a similar constructed base, no water has touched by base to my knowledge. Is it because bricks inherently absord humidity when cooling down or something along that line?
                      uh, ok if it has a Hebel base then moisture under the floor shouldn't be too much of a problem. The second part of your question is yes, the refractory does absorb moisture from the atmosphere, particularly in the tropics during the wet season, even if the oven is under cover.
                      Last edited by david s; 02-10-2015, 04:22 PM.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks Brendan

Also David I have read the curing fire threads. I just wanted to see what methods you guys used. I understand as long as i go slow it will be fine. I was just more interested in the methods that you think will be easier.
                        For example should i use heat beads, hardwood or a gas burner ring ??
                        And then which train of thought do you guys prefer of just getting it to that temperature and then letting it cool down ? or try to hold that temperature for a couple of hours and then let it cool down over night ??

Also i am expecting quite a lot of moisture due to the wet season that we are having here in mackay at the moment.

Thanks for your help it is appreciated

Comment

G'day
                          The Forno plans say not to use charcoal, but it's a one size fits all and covers forno caste ovens as well. Pherhaps the coals might concentrate the heat in four piece thin cast floor?
                          But it does supply a good steady heat source with no big flames to cause to uneven heat. It doesn't need to be tendered to much either you can let it smolder away.
                          Letting the oven cool is important as it lets the moisture migrate to those dry surfaces so your next fire will remove it.
                          Keeping the same size burn in the beginning is good. You'll find the temperature will start to increase as the oven dries without adding more fuel.
                          Don't forget to cook something you've got some heat why not use it
                          Regards dave
                          Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-11-2015, 02:42 AM.
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

Working...
                          X