Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warwick Brick works - Anyone used their bricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reidy
    replied
    I've decided to bite the bullet and go with a cast dome and fire bricks for the floor. I managed to find some castable for a reasonable price so lets see how i go.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Cheers
    Reidy

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Is there any way that you could buy a couple of them before investing in the whole lot? If so, you could fire them in a hardwood fire a few times. The results may tell you if they are remotely suitable for an oven.

Leave a comment:

• Reidy
    replied
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I did give the brickworks a call last week and they basically said the same as whats on the website. That is, that they have been fired to 1200 degrees so therefore are suitable for pizza ovens. As per the comments I am not 100%convinced on that justification for being suitable. That said I think i will give them a run for the dome. What could possibly go wrong

Just need to find an economical floor. Might be easier said then done.

Cheers
    Reidy

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I am not advocating these bricks as an exact replacement for refractory bricks, what I have seen, is some builders from the UK as well as other areas have been able to use certain solid red clay bricks with relative success, IE Bookemdanno, also a build in Christchurch was done from old ship ballast that were red clay brick. So as long as the builder understand the limitations of the material and do their due diligence these bricks may work. David is right on the vitrification of the clay as being important, both Dave and I have ceramics backgrounds.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    • Our bricks are fired to 1160 - 1200 degrees which means they can be used in fireplaces, barbeques, pizza ovens, etc.”
    That’s a silly claim. Just because a clay body has been fired to that temperature does not mean it is suitable. The clay composition itself, degree of vitrification and ability to withstand thermal shock are other more important factors. It doesn’t mean they’re unsuitable, they may prove to be quite adequate. I suggest you contact the brickworks for further clarification.

Leave a comment:

• Gretsch
    replied
    Where does it say they're suitable for Pizza Ovens ? like as fire brick ?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I am surprised that this brick option for the Aussie builders has not shown up before especially with the cost of refractory bricks in Aussie land. I looked at web site and some of the brick details and it seems like this could be a economical alternative for the southern hemi builders.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Good to know. They should be fine for the dome, but if using them for the floor, which gets more of a beating, be sure to lay them loose if replacement becomes necessary. The creamy white solid house bricks from Cooroy were another option used by kiln builders, but not sure if they’re still available.

Leave a comment:

• Reidy
    started a topic Warwick Brick works - Anyone used their bricks?

Warwick Brick works - Anyone used their bricks?

Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker first time posting

I been researching for a while and now looking to dive into a first oven build. Looking to see if anyone has used the solid house bricks from Warwick Brickworks west of Brisbane. They advertise they are suitable for Pizza Ovens and given the price they are a very attractive option. For a first build i don't want to spend the earth so any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Reidy
Working...
X