Local Flours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Flours

How about a section where we can list the local flours and what we find they are best used for.

I am still on my first bag, Gaganis unbleached flour, 9% protein. Seem like a good all rounder.

Re: Local Flours

3G
    You have posted in the right place. It is specific to Australia.
    Yep, that's all I use. Great taste and even better price!
    Have you tried their pizza flour yet?

Cheers

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

No, I havent tried any other flour. Do you mean the Allied mills pizza flour that Gaganis sells? Is that better for pizza than the Gaganis special unbleached flour (which is made my Allied).

Comment

Sure do, it is labeled Pizza Flour 36400 from Allied Mills.
        I also have some 'Perfection bakers flour' also from Allied that I haven't tried yet.
        I don't see much if any difference and still prefer to stick with their unbleached flour.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Hi Guys,

Have you heard of Caputo pizza base flour?

I've been reading about it in some of the other forums and it seems to get all the talk.

Only problem being that I can't find a supplier in Perth.

Have you every come across this flour?

Regards,

Ric

Comment

Ric,
            send a personal message to Helliman. He plays a lot with fours and also lives in Perth. He might be better able to steer you to what you are looking for.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Just paid a visit to Ron at Variety Foods in Bayswater, Perth today to stock up on some of his excellent pizza flour. Allied Mills have a number of varieties of flour suitable for pizza and bread baking and the prices are unbeatable.

Also got some stretched curd Mozarella which is ideal for pizza toppings.

Highy recommend that you drop past there and grab some ingredients for your next baking session.

Website here: Variety Foods
              Contact info and address also on the site.
              / Rossco

Comment

Hey all,
                Cooked up some pizzas the other day when my nephews stayed with me and I bought some pizza 'oo' flour that I think is made by Anchor Foods. It comes in a blue packet and is 1 kg. In brackets it says its 'strong bakers flour'. Anyway, the BEST cook up of pizzas I have done! The dough was crisp and chewy and the crust puffed right up and was great!! Also the first time I have been able to stretch the dough..so I was pretty chuffed!! In compare to the Difiance Brand...this one is sooo much better IMO. Have any of you guys tried this flour??

Scott

Comment

Yes, I grabbed a box some while ago and it certainly worked fine. The only concerns I had with it was the price and packaging size (1 kg is too small for my needs).

At $12.00 per 12.5kg for Superb Baker's Flour is the best all round option. Chuck in some semolina and you've got a great combo!
                  / Rossco

Comment

I also use the Allied mils 36400. Discovered how much better using a pizza flour makes the job of getting the bases out nice and thin. We used to use bread flour and found it far too rubbery, you'd just get the base out thin and back it would spring. Also found the Molini pizutti fine Italian OO flour that is available in Woolworths, an excellent pizza flour.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Also tried some Lighthouse brand pizza and bread flour from the supermarket and was quite impressed. It produced a very light and workable dough.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Tried a couple of different dough recipes and flours however general consensus among 'pizza eaters' here is the combination (50/50) of TasFlour Wholemeal and fresh ground wholewheat flour using the 'Lil Ark' grain mill, mixed with the normal dough additives.

Flour at $6.00 a bag is good value I feel.

Cheers
                        U Dont Have 2 Have a Long Neck 2B1

Comment

I have used the Allied mills flour - strong bakers flour I believe and it was good. I am currently using a manildra brand pizza flour and it is great. I think i paid about $30 for a 25kg bag from the local bulk food place. My wife reakons it has a better taste - a bit more flavour than other flours i have tried. I also use this flour as a base for all my breads

Cheers
                          James
                          Real men cook with fire
                          My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Working...
                          X