Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter

Is anybody fired up their ovens in the freezing cold ? It's -18c in Edmonton love pizza but its seems crazy to fire her up to 700f !!

Re: Winter

I have shoveled snow to get to the oven. I don't do it often because it's a pain. No reason not to fire it up if you want to.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Buckles View Post
      Is anybody fired up their ovens in the freezing cold ? It's -18c in Edmonton love pizza but its seems crazy to fire her up to 700f !!
      It sounds almost like heaven to me! Warming my upper body 10ft away, while my lower half freeze? Maybe do some handstands to equal things out? And I haven't even mentioned the menu, yet.

Comment

Thanks Les, I have picture of my oven finished in October. I have cured the oven cooked pizza a few times and baked some bread. The weather turned and I have left it. I will take a snowy picture tomorrow in the day light. I might fire it up for Xmas.
        Last edited by Mr.Buckles; 12-05-2012, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Hi Mr. Buckles,

Love the rustic look of your oven, especially the roof, are you going to paint green to match the fence? I hope you use it year round with much enjoyment.

Comment

Thanks, Laurentius. I have no choice with the colour of my fence, it's an architectural neighbourhood control. The roof is cedar shakes. The manufacturer does not suggest any stain or paint on the shakes. I have the same shakes on my roof of my house we just let them naturally age. They will last 35 plus years.
            Last edited by Mr.Buckles; 12-06-2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

No, I wouldn't touch the shakes, I was thinking the trim, to match the fence. Again, a job well done.

Comment

I hate the green !! Here is the picture today tons of snow and anther storm is blowing in this weekend.

Comment

Picture of the temperature probe inserted in the cooking floor !

Comment

I hate the green !! Here is the picture today tons of snow and anther storm is blowing in this weekend.
                    Yep - looks like the same crap we get here. So far we have been blessed with rain. I'm totally OK if the white stuff stays up on the hill.

Comment

Its well done! I fired my oven a bit more slowly in the cold......Must have gotten down to 25 degrees F last winter
                      Lee B.
                      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks, Laurentius. I have no choice with the colour of my fence, it's an architectural neighbourhood control. The roof is cedar shakes. The manufacturer does not suggest any stain or paint on the shakes. I have the same shakes on my roof of my house we just let them naturally age. They will last 35 plus years.
                        I lived in a community dictating those shakes.....When a real forest fire was just over the foothills from us, it became a non issue, and we all went to something else. We went to concrete shingles and that is what was there on our Colorado Springs home this past summer. The fire came within 100 yards of our house (actually, we sold it five years ago).
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Les do you ski living so close to Lake Tahoe ? I have skied the area and love it. Kirkwood being my favourite.

Comment

Great question. When I lived in the bay area I drove up here 2-3 times a month to ski. When I moved to Carson and could look out the window to see what the mountain was doing, I went up once, and then quit. Something about knee surgery's - same thing in the water - I would take the boat out but became a floater. This is an awesome place for snow.

Comment

Yes I completely understand the knee. I had 4 knee surgerys and had to leave the skiing. Now I have a family my son has got me back on the slopes. I try to hit the powder days on the slopes. I do love it but my body just kills me after a hard day of skiing...... Too much pizza and not enough stationary bike !! You have lived in some pretty fantastic places. I do love the Bay Area (Pebble Beach) is heaven !! Now you have the mountains ! Enjoy !

Cheers,
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X