Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplies in Edmonton

Hello Friends,

I'm a complete newb to the wood oven scene but studying hard to start an oven in the next couple weeks. I'm in Edmonton and wondering if anyone has experience sourcing supplies here? Look forward to tapping into some wisdom and thanks in advance!

b

Re: Supplies in Edmonton

Hi there,

Welcome to the Canadian site. I built an oven last summer at my cottage in Sask and secured all my supplies from Clayburn Refractories out of Edmonton. The company is based near Abbotsford in BC but they have a facility/store in Edmonton. I contacted Gary Beier (gbeier@clayburngroup.com) 780-468-4100 ext 221. or Greg Usher - sales manager (gusher@clayburngroup.com) 780-918-8982 cell.

They had everything i needed and prices were ok.

They are located at:

16010 - 118th Avenue, Edmonton

let me know if this works out for you, and good luck with the oven.

Gary Collins

Comment

Thanks so much! I ended up getting everything at a building supplier called Brock White. It was very convenient since they had everything including concrete, cinder blocks, insulating blanket, etc. so it all came to my house in a single delivery (5 pallets!) The only thing I skipped on was the insluating FB board as the price was quoted at $125 x 4 pieces. I just poured a second vermiculite pad instead. Laying down cooking floor tomorrow, now that I've solved the mystery of what the hell fire-clay is! Thanks for the help! What lake are you at in SK? (Riders 4-0, W00T!)

Comment

I used Brock White as well. They were very professional and took quite an interest in my build.

Comment

I'm happy that all worked out for you both. I had a heck of a time finding supplies and then getting them shipped, but all worked out well. As a bit of trivia, it turns out that there used to be a refractory brick company in Estevan Sask which has since closed. They made all the refractory bricks for all the launching pads for NASA. Now That's Heat!!

The first night we fired up my oven we had about 35 people out (big family) and made 24 pizzas. This summer I did Croissant and Pain au Chocolate one morning for breakfast. Great food and lots of fun. I make the dough and set out the supplies but everyone has to stretch out their own dough and assemble the ingredients. I run the oven and cook them all. Everyone has a blast, especially the kids.

The cottage is at Last Mountain Lake. I live in Vancouver though so I don't get to use it as often as I would like. I'm planning a second build for the backyard here in Vancouver.

Good luck with the build.

G

Comment

(I'm posting this for other Edmontonians that find this thread.)

I also got my firebricks from Brock White. They're $3 each, and come in 9x4.5x2.5 and 9x4.5x1.5 in sizes. (The actual dimensions are about 1/16th in smaller.) I also got a gallon of heat resistant mortar for $26.

Rona sells cinder blocks for $3.5, which was the cheapest I found.

You can get medium-grade vermiculite at Lowe's. Comes in bags of 1.5 ft^3 (actual amount of vermiculite is probably around 1 ft^3, though) for $20 each.

Edit 2014-06-25:
            Hydro-Lite (http://www.hydro-lite.com/frmIndex.aspx) sells 110L bags of perlite for $25.
            Last edited by valtron; 06-25-2014, 10:03 PM. Reason: New information

Comment

You can also try some of the gardening places for vermiculite/perlite. I found large bags at a place that specialized in hydroponic supplies and it was much cheaper than the hardware stores.

Comment

Hi there!
                I'm new to all this....but am wondering if anyone has suggestions on suppliers in Saskatchewan for a Pompeii style oven......I think there is a Brock White in Regina( just over an hour away from where I live.....) I did email them but I have not as yet had a response.....did all of you follow the build plans on the Forno Bravo site....or did you use other plans? I did get a price quote from FB to ship here but the freight is almost the price of the oven!
                I realize it is heavy but wow!!
                Thanks!!

Comment

Hi Deanna, I live in Vancouver but my oven is at our cottage on Last Mountain Lake. As you can see from the thread I had a heck of a time getting materials. I bought them from Edmonton and had them shipped right to my location. It wasn't cheap but they did get the supplies to me. I also spoke to a guy in Estevan but he took forever to get back to me despite numerous calls. I think if you give them enough lead time the guys in Regina should be able to bring in whatever you want. then getting it shipped to your location shouldn't be too expensive. Where is your build?

Gary

Comment

Re:Supplies in Saskatchewan?

Thanks Gary for your quick response....
                    I hope to build my oven in the backyard in Weyburn!
                    I am currently trying to figure out if I can somehow put it on wheels....as you likely know our southern Sask winters can be brutal...that way I could roll it into our garage maybe...? I do have a machinist, welder friend who would likely custom make me anything....
                    I want an oven I can do a few pizzas in and a few loaves of bread in....from what I have read, I need one that holds heat and is well insulated...I was over in Europe 2 yrs ago and got my first taste of wood fired pizza.....last yr we made up an oven from old bricks and angle iron....saw it on you tube.....and the pizzas were a total hit.....made some apple pizzas too& the taste was super great!! however....this little thing does not hold heat very much at all....I do make my own bread so would love to try that in a WFO as well....plus all the other cooking you can do in one!!
                    I know it likely says somewhere(or maybe pics..) but what style of oven did you build? Was there a chimney? what supplies did you order...did they all come from the same supplier? So many questions....lol!
                    You mentioned the freight was costly....The FB freight would have been close to $1000....! If anyone wants to email me my email is djpc@sasktel.net....Thanks again!

Comment

Deanna,
                      We use our oven year round, it is outside. The key is to start the fire slow and small to let the oven warm up to avoid sudden heat changes and cracking. Christmas turkeys have been cooked in -30 C temps.
                      We live about an hour away from the Brock White that I purchased the fire brick, refectory cement, and finishing stone from. Made several trips to get the materials. Plan ahead, start purchasing and stockpile materials. As the build goes, you may need to make a special trip. An alternative to shipping is renting a truck or trailer if you do not have one. Our build was based on the pompeii oven plans.
                      I've heard of people building them on the back of a heavy duty trailer and moving them from event to event but am still waiting to see one in person.
                      Pizzas are great but the breads and meats are amazing. Also, a forno is a great experiment in social interaction and community/relationship building. Every time we host an event, I am amazed at how quickly people get to know each other and become friends.....

Comment

Hi....thanks for the note...I chatted on line with Gary C. today from this forum....he was very helpful and certainly gave me lots to think about.....I did try calling Brock White and IXL Brick in Regina this morning ( about an hour away from me)....but the FB price per brick was $8....so close to $1000 for just the brick alone....!! Gary suggested I post an ad looking for used brick....so I did that on kijiji today as well....I had originally had a quote to ship a Pompeii oven kit up here, but the freight was close to the cost of the entire kit.....estimate was about 2 grand.....Gary said he thought he got his FB for about $3 per brick....which is a substantially lower cost.....I believe in Edmonton....it might be worth the drive!! In the mean time I am still looking....we built a makeshift pizza oven from red brick with no mortar and it works great for a few pizzas, actually they taste awesome...but it doesn't hold heat well and I have not tried anything else in it...and basically want to go to the next level.....I do make my own bread and its pretty darn good, but I am sure in a WFO it would be even better!!

Comment

Hello,

I started an oven last summer, however the job was delayed because I could not find Ciment Fondu for the hearth slab. I checked with all the refractory supply companies in Edmonton and Calgary with no luck, they only carry refractory cement (castable) which is about $60 -80 per 20 kg bag. I even contacted Lafarge head office in Calgary and they didn't know what i was talking about. Finally, while searching the web, I see that Brock White lists Ciment Fondu as a stocked item in some of their locations (not Edmonton). I had been dealing with Brock White for my block and fire brick and they had told me they didn't carry it and to check with the refractory suppliers. So, I went back to Brock White, showed the guy on the order desk that indeed they did carry Ciment Fondu. He said he would check into it for me. Two weeks pass before I hear back that they can get if for me in a day or two. It seems Lafarge had two pallets sitting in their Edmonton warehouse! The only problem is you have to buy it by the pallet so I have a fair bit extra if anyone is interested in a few bags. Found a source for crushed granite too and at a reasonable price - Granite Works in Edmonton. They grind up all their scrap, $20 a yard. I also found a Canadian supplier of analog pyrometers and thermocouples if anyone is interested.
                          I'm about to start building the dome in the next few days. I have taken pictures all along, if anyone is interested, I can post them.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Len

Comment

Originally posted by North Forty View Post

Hello,

I started an oven last summer, however the job was delayed because I could not find Ciment Fondu for the hearth slab. I checked with all the refractory supply companies in Edmonton and Calgary with no luck, they only carry refractory cement (castable) which is about $60 -80 per 20 kg bag. I even contacted Lafarge head office in Calgary and they didn't know what i was talking about. Finally, while searching the web, I see that Brock White lists Ciment Fondu as a stocked item in some of their locations (not Edmonton). I had been dealing with Brock White for my block and fire brick and they had told me they didn't carry it and to check with the refractory suppliers. So, I went back to Brock White, showed the guy on the order desk that indeed they did carry Ciment Fondu. He said he would check into it for me. Two weeks pass before I hear back that they can get if for me in a day or two. It seems Lafarge had two pallets sitting in their Edmonton warehouse! The only problem is you have to buy it by the pallet so I have a fair bit extra if anyone is interested in a few bags. Found a source for crushed granite too and at a reasonable price - Granite Works in Edmonton. They grind up all their scrap, $20 a yard. I also found a Canadian supplier of analog pyrometers and thermocouples if anyone is interested.
                            I'm about to start building the dome in the next few days. I have taken pictures all along, if anyone is interested, I can post them.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Len

Hello Len,
                            I saw your post about the supplies in Edmonton for you Pizza Oven.
                            I am just wondering about your experience with the Oven itself assuming you have built it already and used it for few years.
                            do you use it often or not?
                            I am interested in building one in my backyard , however I would like to know from others who already built one, if it's worth it or not and how frequently they use it.
                            and what they wish they would have done differently
                            I am thinking of building a dual fired Natural gas- firewood Pizza Oven

Comment

This is quite an old post you are responding to. There has been no activity since 2015. Every one is different on how they use there ovens. At least for me, I built a 42" oven, it is a party size oven so I do not fire it up for one or two pizzas. A smaller diameter oven takes less time and fuel to heat up. So it depends on what YOU want to do with your oven. These ovens can maintain heat over several days if insulated properly allowing for different type of cooking other than pizzas. There have been a few dual fuel ovens on the blog but for the most part the ovens are wood fired.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                              X