Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof finishing for Stone House Oven

Good day,

I am in the process of finishing my oven however, I am puzzled with the roof. My design is a stone house over with a flat roof. I built a metal structure around the dome and put cement board all around, even on the roof. My thought is to continue the sides with the stones I used on the bottom part but my question is;

What can I put on the roof? Do I need to add something so water, snow doesn't leak in the flat part of the roof? What material should I finish the roof with? I was thinking of putting a few slabs of stones.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Roof finishing for Stone House Oven

Cantley
    Post some pics if you can, but i would think that sheet metal will be the easiest. You can use the stone on the roof, just use a waterproof membrane underneath the stone and on top of concrete board and leave some weep holes for any accumulated moisture to escape.
    You said a "flat roof" i am assuming it would be flat but slope from front to back?

Texman
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

A true flat roof would be a mistake in your area, to much rain and snow. I agree with tex, you need slope and a waterproof layer below any stone. Metal is a good choice. Aluminum or steel laid in shingle style will work well with a slope of 2/12 or greater pitch.
      Chip

Comment

Hey Gents,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I need to have a slope from front to back to ensure water doesn't stay trapped on the roof, especially with harsh winters in Quebec.

Do you recommend a waterproof membrane on the side walls as well? I was thinking of laying the stones directly on the concrete board on the side walls, adding a waterproof membrane on the roof and then adding the stone or slabs.

Texman, thanks for the reminder for the weep holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantley_Oven View Post
          Hey Gents,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I need to have a slope from front to back to ensure water doesn't stay trapped on the roof, especially with harsh winters in Quebec.

Do you recommend a waterproof membrane on the side walls as well? I was thinking of laying the stones directly on the concrete board on the side walls, adding a waterproof membrane on the roof and then adding the stone or slabs.

Texman, thanks for the reminder for the weep holes.
          My walls are brick and I mounted directly to the concrete board at the top of my oven but that area is protected by a minimum 2 ft overhang so very unlikely to get wet under any weather conditions. The lower areas are backed with concrete block CMU.
          Chip

Comment

Sorry for all the questions gents.

Does the oven sides/roof get really hot? Or is the insulation provided with the Forno Bravo kit a good barrier for the heat?

Comment

CO

with 2-3 layers of blanket and maybe some added vermiculite the exterior walls and roof will be about ambient temp. So, no heat problems as long as you insulate properly. Which you want to do to retain all that heat for lots of cooking.

Texman
              Texman Kitchen
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Sorry for all the questions gents.

Does the oven sides/roof get really hot? Or is the insulation provided with the Forno Bravo kit a good barrier for the heat?
                Since you are building a house over the oven I would recommend adding some vermiculite or perlite poured into the house around the oven for additional insulation. It is cheap and with your low temps in Canada you will be able to use your oven more in winter.
                Chip

Comment

Thanks for the replies Gents.

I had the hardest time finding vermiculite or perlite which I finally did yesterday. I will assemble my enclosure walls this weekend and post some pics.

Getting pretty excited to have this thing done.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Gents.

I had the hardest time finding vermiculite or perlite which I finally did yesterday. I will assemble my enclosure walls this weekend and post some pics.

Getting pretty excited to have this thing done.
                    Probably a little late for a reply but I found large bags of vermiculite at stores that sell hydroponic supplies, quite cheap as well. I built a house over my dome. Used metal studs then covered them with cement board, a scratch coat and then finally rocked it. The roof is metal, if I were to do it over, I think I'd use copper sheeting for the roof, it would look awesome but is pricey.
                    I put a minimum of 6" of vermiculite all around the dome. You cannot feel any heat on the side walls anywhere. Last Christmas, I cooked the turkey in the oven. It was -30 C and I had the oven fired up the night before. Still had a heavy bed of coals in the morning and snow on the metal roof.

Comment

Those of you who get covered in snow for extended periods of the year have my admiration for resilience. I could not imagine living anywhere that the thermometer went sub zero, even overnight. We are truly blessed to live in the temperate sub-tropics where everyday is an outside day. I would sooner live with the 35 degree C maximum and 4 degree C minimum (spread over the seasons).

I hope your winter is less severe than the pics my Canadian friends sent me last winter.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                        Those of you who get covered in snow for extended periods of the year have my admiration for resilience. I could not imagine living anywhere that the thermometer went sub zero, even overnight. We are truly blessed to live in the temperate sub-tropics where everyday is an outside day. I would sooner live with the 35 degree C maximum and 4 degree C minimum (spread over the seasons).

I hope your winter is less severe than the pics my Canadian friends sent me last winter.
                        You haven't really lived until you are working in temps like that, with your eyes and nose freezing up. Can't forget the wooden toes and fingers either. After being away from a real winter for the last two years, I can say, I don't miss it much....accept pond hockey or sledding with my son.

If the op is still watching his thread.....My father was born in Montreal and lived in Salaberry-de-Valleyfield until he was 16. We would go up every year for Les R?gates de Valleyfield..it was great. I miss a good poutine too....nobody does it right down here.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                        John Ruskin

Comment

When spring comes, I don't miss winter either.

Comment

I built a metal stud frame and gabled roof. Used cement board (hardi-backer) on roof and sides. Metal lath on sides, then scratch coat, then stone veneer on sides. The roof, I put tar paper down, then asphault shingles. Shingles look great, work great, and are dirt cheap.

Comment

I used to be a slate roofer in a past life
                              I would love to go that route, but my old slate supply is a few days drive away in my dads back yard.
                              I might have to fish around for some kind of flat stone, slate substitute,locally when I get to that part.

Comment

Working...
                              X