Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here we go.. Starting a pizza oven build just outside GTA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go.. Starting a pizza oven build just outside GTA.

Hey all…

going down this road of a building pizza oven after being Voluntold to do so by the boss…

so are we in agreement that building a base here in Canada needs a couple posts laid down a few feet for security or do you use the 4-6” pad on stone with rebar sufficient?

anyway, first post, just really testing response times…

Thanks

Squirt, I would advocate for a below frost line foundation. But, I know George (gastagg) built on a slab with a gravel base and I believe he is in Minneapolis. He hasn't has any movement in about 10 yrs. It really comes down to the type of soil and if it drains well.
    My Build: 42" Corner Build in the Shadow of Mount Nittany

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Rossi View Post
      Squirt, I would advocate for a below frost line foundation. But, I know George (gastagg) built on a slab with a gravel base and I believe he is in Minneapolis. He hasn't has any movement in about 10 yrs. It really comes down to the type of soil and if it drains well.
      Ok, thanks for the response.
      How thick should the base be? full 2x6? One cement guy said a 2x4 would be good. I was going to 2x6 and fill with a couple inches of tampered stone. Vapour barrier, than cement…

Comment

david s often reminds us that the strength of a concrete slab is proportional to the square of its thickness. Most ovens are really heavy. So, the 2X6 would give you a slab almost 2.5x as strong.

How much stone depends on your soil. You really need to clear out the top soil first. Then, it's important to compact the stone in about 2" layers at a time.
        My Build: 42" Corner Build in the Shadow of Mount Nittany

Comment

K, dirts cleared, the rest is basically clay. dug down a couple frost holes for posts and starting to bring in some stone,
          thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X